• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jonk.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best place to look for teaching jobs?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

My Sis-in-law has just graduated as a primary school teacher and is now looking for a job. Are there any websites etc that I can suggest she looks at in order to better her chances of finding a good job?

Thanks.

project
    Free Member

Schools , but theyre on holiday at the current time.

Seriously the times educatioanl supplement, local council web sites under teaching posts, as theyre usually seperate from general jobs.

midlifecrashes

TES and the Telegraph, which scrapes most of the council websites, plus the particular LA she wants to work in.

toys19
    Free Member

council website in the lea you want to work normally have jobs pages, here in devon there is http://www.devonjobs.gov.uk/ which will allow you to set up specif searches and email you once a week as it changes.
    Also write to every single school, esp independant ones. Most HOD’s are terrified of recruitment and like nothing better than a waggy tailed gradute who will come forward and solve their staffing issue… Probably.

totalshell

our local primary school held interviews for next terms new starters a month ago.. hope she hasnt missed the bus.. apparently the pensions awfully expensive now as well.. best of luck to her good primary school teachers are desperately needed.

rkk01
    Free Member

eteach

convert

TES. Worth a punt with a letter sent around the schools she is interested in just in case. A TES ad will cost a school circa £800-£1000 a pop so they’ll be keen to avoid if possible.

To be fair though she has missed the boat big time. PGCE students are encouraged to look for jobs starting in the September after they qualify between the Jan and Easter of their qualification year – i.e. 5 or 6 months ago in her case. In teaching contracts normally state either half a term or increasingly commonly now a full term’s notice. Schools obviously know this and so most job starting in September will have had application closing dates by the end of May at the outside. I would estimate 70%+ of teaching staff leave their posts at the end of the academic year so most new staff start in September with pretty slim pickings at other times. Jobs that urgently need filling outside of the usual cycle often come with health warnings I feel as it meant the last incumbent left in a hurry or were pushed – always need to ask why!

Also – new rules state that supply teachers need to have successfully passed their NQT year so won’t be much supply available to her. Sorry to be so downbeat. 🙁

jbee
    Free Member

Hi

If she has missed the boat she can go into eteach.com and I would recommend she goes into the Talent Pools. This lets her place her CV within a region or send the CV to a particular school. Then they have her details for when a position comes up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely she will have sussed all this stuff out whilst she was on placements etc?

If she is now 2-3 weeks before the new term and doesnt know where to look she isnt going to do that well…

Xylene
    Free Member

I was chatting to a primary teacher who had done the get back into teaching course.

She ended up having to apply for TA jobs due to the shortage of positions – 150+ applicants for most jobs.

Good luck to the OP.

jonk

I started looking and had interviews from the January even before i qualified. She has missed the boat really. The best thing she can do is register on the various agencies – capita, Randstad education, hayes and hopefully they will be able to find her some work. There is a shortage in primary in some areas so she may be ok. She can only do supply for 16 months before having to get a contract and do her NQT year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best place to look for teaching jobs?’ is closed to new replies.