Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best natural winter route in North Wales
  • qtip

Where’s good at this time of year (i.e. when there’s snow in the mountains and the trails are wet)? Or are the trail centres a better bet until Spring?

thekettle
    Free Member

Pont Scethin loop is pretty reliable. Goes up to around 400m but is coastal so rarely snowy. Exposed but rides fine in the wet. Telegraph valley is another all year option, not quite the quality of Pont Scethin though.

qtip

Would that be this one?

faustus

Looks right – but you don’t have to do the estuary loop bit (don’t think it’s that special), you park in Tal-y-bont and do a loop from there in either direction. It’s a really decent ride.

EDIT – also might be worth looking at routes in the Dyfi valley/forest.

qtip

Cheers faustus. A look at the OS map seems to confirm that the estuary part probably isn’t worth adding on. So, clockwise or anticlockwise? Route linked above suggests anticlockwise, but impossible to call based on contours alone.

hairybultaco
    Free Member

Clockwise would be best in my opinion, it’s a featured ride in issue 87 of Singletrack so worth looking in the archive.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Most of the hills in North Wales will be soggy until spring (and longer sometimes). I used to ride the Clwydian range a fair bit, but in winter you can put a dry route together around Nercwys Forest linking in the local bridleways . http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/the-clwyds-and-nercwys-forest/
    Colin has some great routes at http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/ if you want to explore the area.

faustus

I went clockwise, and followed issue 87 route. I think it’s good either way round to be honest, and it is basically two hills and only about 9 miles long, but takes a while and feels remote.

qtip

Will have to do it both ways at some point and decide for myself, but CW sounds like a good first option. Might leave it for next year though – that STW article suggests it’s pretty slippy at this time of year.

Cheers for the links monkeys feet – looks like a good resource.

thekettle
    Free Member

Clockwise is the better way I’d say, starting in Tal y Bont. It’ll be wet and slippy but no less fun for it 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best natural winter route in North Wales’ is closed to new replies.