Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best Helicopter Tape ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few brands now. The Bike Shield stuff that’s packed like smoked salmon is quite good but it’s a waste of money because it comes in a load of pre cut shapes that you never use. I recently bought some sheets of Fox frame protector from my LBS but that only lasts for about 1 or 2 rides before it gets crap underneath it and starts peeling off !

I’m looking for some descent tape/protector that you can cut to size and shape and that stays on (around it’s edges too) and can resist rock strikes, especially under the BB and on the crank arms.

Any suggestions please ? (There’s been a few on Fresh Goods lately on the ST site, I’m guessing their building up to a review slot (?))

alfabus
    Free Member

the stuff from biketart is holding fast on my covert… came in a big roll and was nice and easy to apply using the hot water technique.

Dave

godzilla
    Free Member

I just used a load of Tesa tape of eBay and found it way better to work with than the paragon tapes. I realy rate it, the stuff is a bit thicker and go’s on a dream with soapy water.

IA

Best stuff I’ve had was from justridingalong a few years back, less tape, more like sticky clear rubber, formed over awkward shapes really easily with a hairdryer.

adam1330
    Free Member

I’ve found Biketape from Biketart to work the best for me.

bowglie

I’ve used at least 3 brands of tape (plus the free ready cut sticker packs that have come with Spesh & Giants), and the best by far has been the stuff from Justridingalong – quite pricey, but really good.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Biketart tape for me. Bought a couple of metres, thought it was expensive at the time, but still have half left and have done all rub and bash points on 3 bikes, including an Orange 5 swingarm.

mooman
    Free Member

Biketart tape best by far.
    Not the cheapest – but easily the best.

excitable1
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips. Never seen the any with the hot soapy water method before !

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Hi Gary, met you sunday coming down from Skiddaw as we were going up, had a laugh but it really poured down later on.

I bought Oxford 1mm clear heli tape very strong, got to put it on with a hair dryer to soften it for nooks and crannies, comes in a large sheet around £20.00 i did the lappy back end on both bikes.

Cheers

Mark

rossi46
    Free Member

This on VHS…..

daveb
    Free Member

Biketart tape for me as well, tried a few others but its defintely been the best of the bunch.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go to TAPE SHOP like Viking tapes etc and buy 10x as much tape for the same price. It isn’t a bike product just marked up like one!

bongo136
    Free Member

Why’s it called ‘helicopter tape’? Always wondered 🙄 😆

smiff
    Free Member

if you unravel it and spin it around your head, you’ll find out.

wish i’d found this thread before buggering up black cranks. not that it matters.
    does the finish on SLX cranks rub off btw anyone know?

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

Why’s it called ‘helicopter tape’? Always wondered

Apparently they use it on the edge of helicopter blades to strengthen them. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    mooman
    Free Member

Some heli tape are thicker than others – and thicker is def not better.

bampot
    Free Member

Smiff: SLX cranks seem to stay pretty for ages – mine are three years old and look new (not too much mud/wet grit here though). XT’s are scuffed up in less time..

wheelie

i just use the tape we use on the leading edge of wind turbine blades…nice to pick up the roll ends! 3M i think

smiff
    Free Member

bampot thanks, i thought the SLX finish looked better. thinking of changing, not because of that, just i’ve damaged the axle on my old LX and SLX is a pretty good deal.

btw guy on ebay paragontapes i think, has matte finish tape. might look better on lots of parts..

Andy-R

bongo136 – Member
    Why’s it called ‘helicopter tape’? Always wondered

It’s used on the leading edge of rotor blades to protect against sand/dust and rain erosion.
    Actually called anti-erosion tape.

s13joe
    Free Member

http://www.heli-pads.co.uk

I bought from the guy there, really helpful and useful.

I contacted him through the contact and im sure you can buy directly like that!

EuroClive
    Free Member

Good responses here, yes they also use clear adhesive tape in F1 to protect key areas, the military (NATO) spec various grades for various applications and the brand is typically 3M. Be aware of cheap imitations. You can buy 1m lengths of 3M “leading edge tape” from Demon Tweeks (the motorsport division of Tweeks Cycles). Alternatively I can sell you 1m lengths x 100mm for £15 including postage, NATO spec 3M branded tape.

MarkN
    Free Member

JRA tape has worked well for me. The last bike has used it for about 4 years and the previous bike must be about 7 years I reckon. Clean the frame, IPA, and then warm the tape when applying. I pre warmed the frame a bit last time as well if that helps.

http://www.justridingalong.com/trail-stuff/copter-tape-frame-tape.html

bigjim

I bought some 3M pukka 0.4mm thick stuff from some motorsport place, and if I was going to do it again I would get a thinner tape for sure.

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW don’t ask to Heli tape in A certain bike shop in Totnes, Devon. You get a stern reply that no we haven’t got and don’t call it heli tape!

wavejumper
    Free Member

ok. I just got a new bike and want to get helicopter tape on it for protection. Any ideas how much of the stuff I will need before I order too much / little?? It’s a 17″ bike if that helps?

guycope
    Free Member

ok. I just got a new bike and want to get helicopter tape on it for protection. Any ideas how much of the stuff I will need before I order too much / little?? It’s a 17″ bike if that helps?

Hi wavejumper, I’ve got an 18″ Orange Five Am and I covered the main points (headtube, toptube, downtube, swingarm, seattube etc) with a 1.5m length of 4″ wide tape

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best Helicopter Tape ?’ is closed to new replies.