Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Best fun for £30? Quadcopter content
  • dannybgoode

Seen a few threads on here about quads and always fancied one but never got round to doing anything.

Was in Meadowhell at the weekend though and they where flying this little chestnut around.

Thought I’d take a punt and it’s incredible fun. Proper 4 channel control, 6 axis stabilisation – the thing even has pre-programmed flips. Wiggle the right stick and it does a full 360 roll. Astonishing how far RC toys have come both in capability and price.

Anyone looking for a toy to while away the dark nights this is it. Excellent fun.

eskay

Damn you dannybbad, another likely purchase.

richmars

Yes, had one a bit like that (Hubsan). Huge fun. They do one with a camera for FPV flying for about £80 I think.

dannybgoode

It’s ludicrous fun. Get about 5mins from a battery and spares are v cheap. Really flies superbly well and surprisingly steady given the size.

Tip: switch the controls to full sensitivity. Much easier to control.

CountZero

Oh bugger! The last next thing I need is a quadcopter! [edit]

drewd

I bought the one linked to (Hubsan Q4) about 6 weeks ago when ebuyer were selling them for £20 each (they have gone up in price now). It has taken a few knocks as it took me a while to get my head around the controls but it is fantastic fun.

I also bought the Hubsan X4 with camera as I found the Q4 so much fun. The X4 is bigger but easier to fly as it is more stable, and has a much better controller (the Q4 one is tiny). The X4 has a removable battery too.

From what I understand the X4 and Q4 use the same internals so the controllers are compatible with both versions.

dannybgoode

@drewd-yes you can use the X4 controller with the Q4. If you do use it and hold down on the throttle trim it will turn the LED’s off giving a little longer flight time.

I have a couple of minor mods in mind but not a huge amount you can do with it given the size.

If anyone needs convincing look for YouTube vids of it doing 360 flips!

I have my eye on the WLToys V959 next…

bearnecessities

I’m selling this what with not having the time to use it 😉

crazy-legs

bearnecessities: nooo, you were so keen on that! Great little toy. 🙂

The Hubsans are cool, I’ve got an X4. The FPV one with the inbuilt camera is a bit crap, the camera feed has enough of a lag on it to make flying it solely by that challenging in the extreme. Get the cheaper bog standard X4 though and it’s great.

bearnecessities

It is brilliant, I just don’t have the time to play!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Been seriously tempted to buy one of these for a long time now, any better places to buy the Hubsan X4 V2 from other than Amazon for £27 odd?

Have loads of indoor space to practice in at work with lots of people it in to annoy.

dannybgoode

Haven’t seen the X4 v2 a great deal cheaper on the bay. £24-25 but then I’d rather have the peace of mind of buying from Amazon.

The Syma X11 is worth a look too. Only 3 axis stablisation but teaches you better control or if you push the budget North a bit the WLToys V959 gets really good write-ups. £38 from banggood.com (seems a safe site to buy from-mentioned time and time again on the RC forums).

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bear how much you looking for?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks, but will go for the X4 I think.

Looks a bit more crash friendly (to my untrained eye). Will stick to the cheap end and learn how to fly it before I push the boat out.

paulevans
    Free Member

I fancy hanging a Gopro off one. Any one know of a budget quad that would allow this?

dannybgoode

@paulevan-I think the Syma X1 could handle one £25+ depending on seller and maybe the WLToys V222 but you’d be best checking on a quad forum before splashing the cash.

Don’t forget at the budget end with the 500mAh batteries they tend to use the extra weight of a GoPro will knacker the flight time.

That said the V222 has a camera built in as does say the Hubsan X4C both for around the £40-50 mark.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ordered the X4 V2, can’t wait!

bearnecessities

Sorry Mr Wighty, missed that. I’m after £150 (which is cheap looking at eBay) but will consider offers from you, Sir.

It’s boxed ‘n’ everything 🙂

drewd

Ordered the X4 V2, can’t wait!

There’s a guard for the rotors taped to the underside of the plastic packaging. It’s really useful for indoor flying as you can bounce off walls without damaging the blades. Both the Q4 and X4 are really good fun 🙂

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Glad you said that as I was going to order one. Looking at the FAQs in the description they say it doesn’t come with one?

sockpuppet

My amazon wish list looks rather different now than before I read this thread

cfinnimore
    Free Member

No answer, but I saw a very happy dad and a very bored son trying one out by the golf course today.

allthepies
    Free Member

This is awesome stuff. An autonomous quadcopter is a thing of beauty 🙂

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I have a master plan for mine.

Spend a few weeks mastering how to fly it, wait for the unsuspecting kids to be playing in the back garden before I launch a full on surprise attack from an upstairs window.

Can’t help but feel I shouldn’t as I will no doubt end up scalping one of the kids, with the quadcopter ending up at the top of a very tall tree.

drewd

Yeah, I read those reviews too. Mine came with one so I presumed that they all did? I’ve yet to use mine outside as the weather turned shortly before mine arrived.

doh
    Free Member

Think it is now time to move to quads after years of flying little gyro helis and foam planes.
    You can get decent gyros for about £10 now so still good for a few months disposable fun, always found the charging point to be the weak spot on little flyers out of about 8 indoor planes/helis only one made it to the point of battery replacement.

dannybgoode

Re: The guards on the X4 to my knowledge the straight v2 does not come with one but the one with the camera built in does.

Been looking at helicopters now as well!

drewd

Ah, that makes sense then as mine has the inbuilt camera.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ordered a crash ring just in case, or should I say for when I do crash.

mogrim

Damn you dannybbad, another likely purchase.

FTFY.

I bought the HD camera version, also got the crash ring. And the spares pack for those overenthusiastic landings 😀

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

What kind of flight times should I expect with the X4?

Mine arrived today, having a proper laugh with it but only seem to be getting 3 or 4 minutes maximum with the standard 240 mAh battery after a full charge.

Tried plugging the supplied charging lead into various usb chargers but getting the same flight times no matter what the battery is charged off.

granny_ring

Thanks OP my X4 arrived today.
    I’m useless though, can anyone help with the battery charging.
    Quick flick through the instructions and it says to remove the battery before charging but I cant see how, it looks like it’s screwed down?

drewd

What kind of flight times should I expect with the X4?

Mine arrived today, having a proper laugh with it but only seem to be getting 3 or 4 minutes maximum with the standard 240 mAh battery after a full charge.

Tried plugging the supplied charging lead into various usb chargers but getting the same flight times no matter what the battery is charged off.

I’ve not timed mine but when I was looking 6-7 minutes seemed the norm.

Quick flick through the instructions and it says to remove the battery before charging but I cant see how, it looks like it’s screwed down?

The battery is seperate from the quad, it just slots in. It is a tight fit though, you may need to gently pull on the wires to get it out.

cranberry
    Free Member

the battery slides out, but you just need to put the big connector from the black lead into your computer and the little connector, just off screen, in to white connector it fits into.

Oh and buy yourself an extra battery or two and some spare blades and make sure you don’t fly it down to an inaccessible spot behind the fridge or give the controls to your sister in law.

granny_ring

Thats how mine arrived.
    Should the battery have been separate in the small square box in the packaging?
    If so Have I been sent a returned one, there wasn’t a seal over the box fastening.

papamountain
    Free Member

DJI Phantom 2. I’ve had one for a few months, motorized gimbal that takes a gopro (or get the vision/vision+ if you don’t want/have a gopro).

It’s fooking great!

One was last seen flying an albanian flag over the serbia/albania match the other day.

Oh, a bit more than £30 though..

drewd

Thats how mine arrived.
    Should the battery have been separate in the small square box in the packaging?
    If so Have I been sent a returned one, there wasn’t a seal over the box fastening.

I think mine came with the battery in like yours did.

granny_ring

Ok cheers, will have another look later on.

granny_ring

Woo hoo, great laugh but I’m useless at flying, mate is much better.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Best fun for £30? Quadcopter content’ is closed to new replies.