Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Best flat winter shoes
  • hopeimakeit
    Free Member

Ok about to buy some winter shoes ,and currently run 5/10s damm hill and freeriders witch are ok but there like sives once you come across any heavy water etc ,what’s the best out there,cost is not a problem,but performance is a must ,your recommendations would be greatly appreciated,please only quote what you personally have used and know to work well in winter … thanks

pipiom
    Free Member

I suffer badly from cold/numb hands and feet. IMHO the best bet is to buy a pair of Goretex,waterproof, walking,hiking boots/shoes and get 5:10 soles fitted by these guys:

https://www.resoles.co.uk/running-approach-bike-shoe-repairs/stealth-rubber.html

I did and,three winters in, they’re still in great nick and have been faultless.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Have used cheap karrimor waterproof/vibram hiking boots with sealskinz for years.

Cut the sole flat on the pedal contact area and leave the toe/heal grippy for walking up muddy hills.

longmover
    Free Member

The OWN Fr-01 is going well at the moment.

hopeimakeit
    Free Member

Thanks for some direction the option of getting gortex trainers/boots resoled is awsome ,I’ve rung them and it’s about £60 a pair to have steath mi16 rubber put on ,win win I wear salomon gortex trainers Whitch are super comfey so looks like it’s a bespoke pair of winter shoes ,that are proper waterproof,thanks guys

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tried riding in walking boots, be careful of the high back rubbing above the heel/achilles area, this is the reason shimano mt91 boots have a big cutout at the back.

five tens and sealskinz for me, belts and braces, and works a treat.

hopkinsgm

5.10 Freerider Elements and wool socks. They’re basically a weather resistant version of the Freerider with regular panels where a non-Elements Freerider would have mesh. This helps keep the wet out, and minimises wind chill. They’re not fully proofed but once the water goes over the top of any shoe or boot, the proofing will have been defeated anyway. This is where the wool socks come in – yes, they get wet, but being wool, they’ll keep a bit of insulation.

I’ve tried sealskinz but always struggled with fit – they’re either too tight (which results in circulation problems and getting cold), or too bulky meaning my existing shoes are now too tight (leading to circulation problems and getting cold).

Warm but wet beats dry but cold any day of the week.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I wear standard Salomon 2-3 season walking boots with Vibram soles partnered with DMR Vaults. Its not perfect as there is a bit of foot movement but I’ve never felt I was going to slip off a pedal. I usually add some shorty gaiters to keep 95% of the water out as well

Tracey

The Freerider EPS for me this winter

Northwind

Freerider ELC is worth checking out too, it adds a lace flap to the Element. (though, there’s a suggestion on the website that it has a stiffer sole too, which I don’t think would be a good change personally…)

Just ordered a set of the new EPS Highs to try- not cheap though and I wish they had the flap and talked a bit less about warm and a bit more about waterproof.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

‘ve tried sealskinz but always struggled with fit – they’re either too tight (which results in circulation problems and getting cold), or too bulky meaning my existing shoes are now too tight (leading to circulation problems and getting cold).

All 3 pairs of my five tens are half a size up, for this reason.

zelak999
    Free Member

Freerider EPS with Sealskinz socks for me.

pipiom
    Free Member

Never had a problem with high backs, but that’s just me. At least you’re informed.

pipiom
    Free Member

Never had a problem with high backs, but that’s just me. At least you’re informed.

alexh
    Free Member

Sombrio shazam. Crc had them for 20 in the summer.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Five ten EPS high with sealskinz for me, so far so good.

alpenradler
    Free Member

In fall and winter I use the 5/10s impact IV here in Austria. On the really cold days I additionally wear gore tex socks. But this year I want to try the new Freerider EPS.

andybrad

whatever it is pair it with sealskins. It doesnt matter how waterproof your boot shoe is its getting in.

i like the non perforated shoes so when you get splashed it doesnt go straight through. it also tends to keep you warmer.

5:10 vxi but im currently using AM7. these are not that grippy tbh but a better shoe imo.

Northwind

alexh – Member

Sombrio shazam. Crc had them for 20 in the summer.

There’s 2 different versions mind, a solid toe and a mesh toe. I have the solid toe ones (in hideous purple) and they’re damn good, not as grippy as a five ten but still grippy enough. Good kit

FOG

I had a pair of the Sombrios from one of CRCs earlier cheapo offers which were indeed great. However after a couple of winters getting regularly wet they have turned into Mafia style concrete boots. I just can’t get my feet in easily and they have become very uncomfortable. Any bright ideas on softening them up would be appreciated, normal leather type stuff doesn’t seem to work on the synthetic material. I am stealing myself to shell out for some of the EPSs but am not a great fan of Five Ten longevity

martinh
    Free Member

I now feel reassured about my order for a pair of Freerider EPS Highs that I placed earlier this week

Northwind

Just trying mine on 😆 Sole feels a wee bit clumpier than my standard freeriders and my elements, but maybe just because they’re new.

craig24
    Free Member

hopkinsgm – Member
    5.10 Freerider Elements and wool socks. They’re basically a weather resistant version of the Freerider with regular panels where a non-Elements Freerider would have mesh. This helps keep the wet out, and minimises wind chill. They’re not fully proofed but once the water goes over the top of any shoe or boot, the proofing will have been defeated anyway. This is where the wool socks come in – yes, they get wet, but being wool, they’ll keep a bit of insulation.
    I’ve tried sealskinz but always struggled with fit – they’re either too tight (which results in circulation problems and getting cold), or too bulky meaning my existing shoes are now too tight (leading to circulation problems and getting cold).
    Warm but wet beats dry but cold any day of the week.

Same as this, Freerider Elements and some merino wool socks off eBay that people were mentioning on here. Unless you put your foot in deep water and it goes over the top of the shoe then your feet will be dry and warm.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I had a pair of the Sombrios from one of CRCs earlier cheapo offers which were indeed great. However after a couple of winters getting regularly wet they have turned into Mafia style concrete boots. I just can’t get my feet in easily and they have become very uncomfortable. Any bright ideas on softening them up would be appreciated, normal leather type stuff doesn’t seem to work on the synthetic material. I am stealing myself to shell out for some of the EPSs but am not a great fan of Five Ten longevity

It’s not just me then, mine have done the same and putting them on with sealskinz is something that should be in the world strongman contest.

bennn
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some new (2017) Impact VXi & Sealskinz to try this winter, I was torn between the Impact and the new Freerider EPS, but decided I don’t need the insulation and the Impacts slightly edged it in the looks department for me. Will be interesting to see how they fare compared to my old Freerider Elements..

Alex

Freerider EPS for me. Passed the cold toes test last weekend. See how they get on with ‘Mudmergeddon’ tomorrow…

mduncombe
    Free Member

I had a pair of neoprene socks lying around at home, I wear them under footwear when sea kayaking in winter. Thought I would give them a go. I wore them under some super light Inov8 trail running shoes which are not water proof and not warm, you can actually feel the breeze through them when running.

So thin liner socks + neoprene kayaking socks + mesh running shoes and flat pedals and my feet remained warm and comfortable on a cold frosty morning ride recently.

Neoprene itself is waterproof (the seams are not though) but doesn’t breath well but that didn’t seem to be a problem until back at the car and I took them off, when you need to dry your feet and put some fresh dry socks back on otherwise you will now notice the cold.

Worked really well for me and will be using them again.

Kayaking socks

StuE
    Free Member

These are the best winter boots I have used
    http://www.v12outdoor.com/product.php/7594/five-ten-mens-guide-tennie-mid-gtx
    the only way I have found to keep my feet dry if it is raining, is to wear over trousers (stops water running in from the top)

Northwind

Done a couple of rides now on the EPSs and I reckon they’re a bit of a failure. They’re not terrible judged in isolation but if you judge them by what they could and should have been they come up pretty short IMO… Obviously should have a lace flap, no doubt that’ll be added to another version next year for more money. “Water resistant” means ****-all of course and so it proves, they’re more resistant than a standard Freerider but way less good than an Element and let water in almost instantly on today’s ride.

I’m not sure about the sole… it’s noticably stiffer and lacking in feel compared to my standard Freeriders and Elements. But maybe they’ll break in, they did seem to soften a little over the ride. This’ll be a wait and see. Again, not terrible but judged against other models they’re feeling quite inferior so far. Not as bad as the horrible Impact VXIs.

Soooo hmm. Not that impressed in all honesty, if I was buying new shoes tomorrow I’d get Elements or maybe I’d try ELCs. If you’ve not tried the others then they probably impress more? And they do seem well made, the lining is warm and very comfy. (remains to be seen how warm it is when they’re cold and wet…)

jeff1155

I use 5 10 Impact mids in winter and they’re much, much better, warmer and dryer, than the ‘low’ Impact 2s. I’ve stood up to my ankles in squelchy clay and stayed dry, anything more liquid and they’ll let it in but general winter splashing they’ll keep out.

roverpig

I had hoped to be able to contribute something useful to this thread by now as I ordered a pair of Vaude Moab Mid STX AM shooes from amazon.co.uk on the 1st of November. These actually come from Bikester in Germany and arrived on the 9th, but were too small, so had to go back.

The amazon site only gives you the option of UK sizes. I swithered between a 10 and an 11, but eventually decided that 11 would be too big so went for the 10. What actually turned up was a 9.5 (EU 44), which was just a bit too small. If they’d put the EU sizes on I’d have gone for the 45.

I’ve just heard (15 days after placing the order) that they’ve received the return and will credit my account, so now need to decide whether I can be bothered ordering the larger size.

On the plus side, they seem to be very well made. The tread on the heel/toe is nice and chunky, so should make a difference when walking. They are fully waterproof and have a laces flap.

Northwind

Alright, I’m downgrading the EPSs, I think they’re just not as good as the Elements, for what I’d consider normal winter riding- cold with wet. I’d not recommend them.

It’s all about the waterproofing, or total lack of- the EPSs are lovely and warm, and very comfy, when they’re dry. But they wet out pretty much instantly, and once that happens the insulation is basically irrelevant.

So, a/b test, I wore identical socks (merino inner, dexshell waterproof outer) for the 2 days of the kinlochleven enduro. EPSs on day one soaked through and retained water, ended up much colder. Elements on day two- with added snowmelt and more standing about, and I think colder air temperature- still wetted through but it took longer and they stayed warmer. Splashes go straight through the EPS shell, I don’t think they’re really water resistant at all, not to bike splashing.

For dry, cold riding I’m sure the EPS is good but with any amount of water the Elements completely kick their arse, and usually there’ll be puddles and that around to spoil their day. Very disappointing 🙁 The description’s all so vague that it’s hard to say outright that they’re not living up to it, though, so not sure if it’s grounds to return… Might have a crack though

Peeved.

ceepers

Anyone tried the freerider elc?

I’ve used am41’s the last couple of winters which are plenty good enough with the dexcel socks warmth wise but I’ve been spoils for grip after a summer in freeriders

roverpig

If the EPSs are leather could you apply some waterproofing to them? I know it’s not ideal, but we survived for years with leather hiking boots and loads of “gunk” before waterproof membranes were invented*

Northwind

Yeah, it might be an option. Looking at the five ten descriptions it seems like the elements have a dwr coating which they forgot to put on the eps. It kind of feels like it’s coming past seams rather than through the casing but I couldn’t really justify that opinion 😆

roverpig

That would make more sense I guess. It’s hard to imagine that water would go right through leather, but if they didn’t do anything to the seams. Well that would be a bit rubbish for a winter boot, but I guess if you stick enough dubbin on them it can’t hurt.

Northwind

Yeah, might well help.

Just to add to my earlier moans, a further moan- they take forever to dry. Possibly worse than an old Impact- they don’t carry as much water but the material holds it more. The ELements are bone dry and ready to wear.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Northwind – I’d send-em back. If they were budget boots you might be inclined to take it on the chin, but not when they are the latest all singing all dancing top money model, remember these are double what you pay for decent enough waterproof hiking boots. With higher than average prices it’s not unreasonable to expect higher than average performance and certainly better than cheaper products in the range!

I’ve noticed most of the manufacturers are being much more canny with their product descriptions (more outs than an insurance contract) and absolute claims of waterproofing; they have had loads of returns. You only have to look at the waterproof shorts line-ups for 2017, many options in ranges have disappeared, replaced by one expensive pair with vague references to there water resistance.

roverpig

I finally managed to get hold of a pair of Vaude Moab Mid STX AM shoes (after a mix up with sizing on the Amazon site and shipping to and from Germany) and have done a few rides with them. So, here are a few thoughts.

Coming from Freeriders these are a lot stiffer. I doubt these would work if you are the sort of rider who likes to feel the pedal through the sole. On the plus side a stiffer sole should be more efficient, but these feel almost roadie stiff,

The USP for these is the hybrid sole (flat in the middle, with a vibram section at the heel and toe). Like any compromise you can argue that it’s the best of the worst of both worlds. Grip on the pedals isn’t as secure as the FiveTens (which may be as much to do with the stiffness of the sole as the rubber) and they aren’t as good to hike in as hiking boots. On the other hand, they grip the pedals better than hiking boots and are much better for hiking on muddy (and presumably snowy) ground than the FiveTens.

They are very well made (should be for the price). No cardboard bits!

I really like the flap over the laces and can’t understand why more flat shoes don’t have these.

Styling is a bit 80’s for my tastes, but you can’t see all the white bits once they are muddy.

They are properly waterproof. I stood in a puddle that came over the laces for a few minutes and nothing came through.

They are a waterproof shoe rather than a winter shoe i.e. there is not much in the way of thermal lining. So, go half a size bigger to make room for a thicker sock if that’s what you are after. Sizing seems similar to FiveTen.

After the first ride (three hours on trails that were virtually rivers plus a bit of time standing in puddles) I left them in the hallway for a few hours and when I went to pick them up I was amazed to find that they were basically dry. I’m used to the fact that, with my FiveTens (freeriders and impacts) I have to put them in the boiler cupboard or they’ll still be wet days later, so this was something of a revelation.

Overall I really like them and they are just what I was after for bimbling around Scotland on my fatbike, but they wont suit everyone. I don’t think the stiff sole will suit those who are really pushing the #enduro envelope.

nairnster
    Free Member

I got some 5.10 freerider ELC. Using them with dex she’ll socks and been impressed do far.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Best flat winter shoes’ is closed to new replies.