• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by rs.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best Disc Brakes that are SUPER light ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

…and reasonably priced ? Oh, and International Standard – no extra adaptors etc.. Any REALLY good deals better than CR or Wiggle ?
    I'm thinking 180 or bigger on the back and 180 on front. (Not sure my forks will allow bigger). Yes, I know the front is the MAIN stopper !
    I like the look of the Formula R1's but couldn't afford them so any others only slightly heavier ??

glenh
    Free Member

Why would you buy "super light" brakes and then fit 180 or bigger rotors?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Magura Marta.

I doubt you'll find IS now…. XTR maybe?

titusrider
    Free Member

Marta SL's in 203/180 flavour here and they are excellent, arent the formula r1 lighter though if thats priority 1?

Oh sorry reasonably priced…. you had better ignore what i said then….

flyingfox
    Free Member

Formula.

thomthumb
    Free Member

moon on a stick!!

no adaptors and 180mm! i think you may struggle. most callipers are now post mount and standard disc size is 160 / 140.

pancake brake is light. C 300g each.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm, what bike is it? If its a hardtail I'd considder a 160mm rear, that will shift a lot of weight, probably not much difference in weight between the cheepest 160mm brake and most expensive 180mm brake.

Even on a FS I'd probably try a smaller rotor, I found anything bigger locks up more easliy and so not really worh it.

Look at motorbikes, they tell you to put 70% of your effort into the front brake. Then look at the brakes themselves, 1x rear ~200mm disk Vs 2x ~350mm up front, putting >2x the effort in with >3x the power.

The usual mantra light/strong/cheep pick 2 unfortunately applies.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Mmm good points about the 180's but I'm running 160's now and fancied the extra Umph ! I guess if they are better brakes 160's will do it anyway !
    Any Hope's going cheap ?

TheSlider
    Free Member

It's a hardtail by the way.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can't go far wrong with shimano IME, never the lightest, but usualy a good comprimise with weight decreacing the more you spend. If your not in a hurry somewhere (merlin usualy) will have sets XT's at about £125, buy some lightweight aftermarket (ashima or the same ones under 101 different brands) rotors and you'll save a ton of weight.

I'm running old 180/160 XTR's and never seen any reason to upgrade on my 456. The power isn't massive like some, but its more than enough to bring me to a rapid halt.

retro83
    Free Member

XTR with Ashima Airotors

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

hopes are fairly heavy, but i really like them and am happy to carry the extra weight. normally some mini's going cheap in the classifieds.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

light weight and 180m rotors? whats the point…learn to ride if a pro xc rider can get away with 160-140 you can because you will not be riding as fast as them.
    if you want light formula r1's
    look on fair wheel bikes new ultimate have released a very light brake..
    ….however if you want the lightest….
    FRM brake drb 250
    inolite rotors
    4 ti bolts with thread lock

sorted
    hope this helps
    bruce
    resident weight weenie

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

formula R1 no brainer really. Great stoppers faultless performance and 180 disk.

TheSlider
    Free Member

"because you will not be riding as fast as them"
    Now wait a minute…cheers guys some good advice there. I love this site !
    I'm not going to say what my brakes are at this time but one guy on here said he'd rather put his foot in the spokes than use them !!
    I find them okay generally but they're not really 'trick or light'.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hope X2 Race? Sub 300 gram with rotor each end.Good back up as well! Been great on my Flux the last few months,despite what the mags say!
    Thanx Max

njee20
    Free Member

Avid XX? Second only to Saint in power according to BikeRadar's testing, and very light.

Agree on the rotor thing, light and 180mm rotors is a bit daft!

juan
    Free Member

well if you want that + brakes that works formula R1 are the only option

rs
    Free Member

Agree on the rotor thing, light and 180mm rotors is a bit daft!

surely not if you want light but also more powerful brakes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best Disc Brakes that are SUPER light ?’ is closed to new replies.