Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Best dipping sauce? (pizzatrackworld)
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

What’s your best?

Got a bit excited following a fridge-raid and impromptu knock-up sauce I put together yesterday.

Long story short – best dipping sauce I had tried was from a pizzeria on Miami Beach. It was warm, spicy and irrestible. Friend of family kindly showed me how to make it. It comprised of melted butter 😯 , chilli sauce and lime juice. Bloody hell it was addicitive

Anyway long story short I had to make a vegan one so did place in a ramikin the following:

1 x heaped teaspoon tinned coconut cream (the thick white creamy stuff off the top, not the watery bits)
    1 x heaped teaspon of Pure soy spread (you can of course use different, or butter or similar if not vegan)
    2 x full teaspoons chilli sauce (I use Morrisons habenero due to low/no vinegar content, it really is a good basic chilli sauce)
    3 x teaspoons lime juice

Microwave for 30 secs and stir well.

Household intitally skeptical (coconut, lime and chilli sauce with pizza?) but it slaughtered.

100 bonafide good!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Mmm… So hungry…

That sound good. What was the pizza like?

Drac

Dipping pizza? 😕

km79
    Free Member

This is wrong.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I like pizza dipped in gravy.mmmmmmm
    Am I the only one that thinks a pizza should be at least 1\2″ thick plus toppings, be the texture of malt loaf and have as much thickness again of protein on top?

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s all good 🙂

I like to dip in mayonnaise. But this is next-level.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That sound good. What was the pizza like?

Shite (frozen) but at least stoneground thin crust, which was not too bad and anyway the coconut/chilli dipping-sauce (surprisingly) turned this unprepossessing freezebie into food-cocaine. Well that’s me not only off the fat-wagon but also in freefall…

This is wrong.

So is coke, hookers and uplifts

Am I the only one that thinks a pizza should be at least 1\2″ thick plus toppings, be the texture of malt loaf and have as much thickness again of protein on top?

That’s an open bacon sandwich.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you need a dip for yer pizza, yer pizza is shite

scaredypants

Drac – Moderator
    Dipping pizza?

For the chips, obvz – I mean, OP’s not an animal

poltheball
    Free Member

I know I’m mainstream, but I’m yet to find an equal to the Dominos Garlic and Herb. Phwoarr I could murder a pizza just now..

Struggle to comprehend how they got it so right with that, and yet so wrong with the potato wedges..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

, but I’m yet to find an equal to the Dominos Garlic and Herb.

That tastes excellent, but no idea what’s in it. Have even ordered extra tubs and slapped on bacon sarnie next day. It’s deliciously addictive.

My hot butter/chilli/lime/coconut one is at least equal, I think better. To be safe I’ll have both and alternate :).

mark90
    Free Member

We’re reet posh here and mix HP + TommyK 😀

Drac

Shite (frozen) but at least stoneground thin crust,

I think I’ve found the problem.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    If you need a dip for yer pizza, yer pizza is shite

There’s always one.

Nowt wrong with my pizza mate. I make them myself and I’ve had a lot of practice 😀

poltheball
    Free Member

Malvern Rider, I feel it’s only fair that I try your fabled sauce in order to make a fully informed decision for myself.

What are the rough ratios/quantities of each component?

Drac

1 x heaped teaspoon tinned coconut cream (the thick white creamy stuff off the top, not the watery bits)
    1 x heaped teaspon of Pure soy spread (you can of course use different, or butter or similar if not vegan)
    2 x full teaspoons chilli sauce (I use Morrisons habenero due to low/no vinegar content, it really is a good basic chilli sauce)
    3 x teaspoons lime juice

😕

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ yeah that!

poltheball please let me know what your crusts make of it 🙂

Now about testing a version with minced garlic added, but that could mean heating butter and garlic in a pan first, instead of microwave. Hmm.

Matt24k
    Free Member

You dip pizza in sauce!!!!!!?????
    Surely the sauce should be part of a pizza, not and add on.

sbob
    Free Member

Matt24k – Member

You dip pizza in sauce!

Why not?
    Some people like to dip their pizza in an additional sauce, some people like to spend a few hundred quid on a tin sheet box so they can enjoy half burnt pizza in the comfort of their own garden.
    Good for them. 🙂

Another vote for garlic & herb, btw. Not necessarily dominoes as they’re overpriced shite, but the generic pots you always need one more of from your local dirty takeaway.

Alternative answer for Matt24k: the pizza with a butternut squash sauce instead of tomato from http://www.aromi.co.uk/ is heavenly. Make an excuse to visit the city. 8)

trailwagger
    Free Member

Franks Red Hot Sauce.

steve-g
    Free Member

The Dominos one is amazing, eat the topping laden part of the slice, think I am full and have had enough, dip the crust in the sauce and eat, then I have to eat another whole slice just to get back to the crust/sauce combo again. Makes me eat at least 2 or 3 more slices that I would without it, it’s genius. Without the contrasting dipping sauce for the crust it doesn’t matter how good a pizza it is, its still the same bite after bite, its the variation that it offers which makes it such a good idea.

My local pizza place does an imitation of the dominos one that is somehow even more filthy, beautiful

poltheball
    Free Member

3 x teaspoons lime juice

Ah rats that made me look a bit thick, thought that was some fancy vegan version so didn’t even read it 😆

Will get it tried and report back, but tonight is pie night!

Cougar

Now about testing a version with minced garlic added, but that could mean heating butter and garlic in a pan first, instead of microwave. Hmm.

I have the solution you seek:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253126769

(other retailers are available)

DougD

garage-dweller

I’m going to get slated for this but for left over crust (the bit after eating the topped bits) – a good coating of sweet chilli dipping sauce or some Reggae Reggae Scotch Bonnet sauce.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Dominos tangy salsa.

wallop

So what is the shop bought equivalent of domino’s garlic and herb dip?

bodgy
    Free Member

Stella.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s American doughy Dominos etc bread they call pizza, then anything to dip to help wash it down. Garlic dip will do. Probably tonnes of calories in it but the so called pizza will be a bazillion calories anyway.

If it’s actually a pizza, then the only sauce is red wine and it’s not to be used for dipping.

tang
    Free Member

Offending crust is used to soak up a good salad dressing here.

ransos
    Free Member

I hope so. You seem to be describing cheese on toast.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have the solution you seek:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253126769

(other retailers are available)

Thnks Cougar, noted. Good idea 🙂

If it’s American doughy Dominos etc bread they call pizza, then anything to dip to help wash it down. Garlic dip will do. Probably tonnes of calories in it but the so called pizza will be a bazillion calories anyway.

Have to agree that US-style pizza is far away from the Proper Authentic Neapolitan TM (made with San Marzano tomatoes from volcanic soil, hand-stretched dough, sacred wood in a handcrafted oven bla bla…)

And yet – whatever the crust and topping – cannot lie – I love many kinds of pizza and love a dipping-sauce. And I’m a total pushover for pepperoni and mozzarella and chilli combo. It was in the US that pizza first ‘bit’ me. Sad decline in sveltitude ensued.

Have a big multi-family pizza-party planned again this summer where everyone builds their own pizza from a garden-table full of toppings that everyone contributes. Yep, wood-fired oven, hand-made dough, hand-stretched etc. Was a roaring success last year, especially with the kids (and plenty of us grownups who had evidently forgotten how to have fun/ get messy). Highly recommended party idea. Just pre-make enough dough and base sauce. Tip – use table-tennis table for the toppings/dusting/riot/prep area 🙂

All/further dip suggestions much appreciated, thnks!

Cougar

My forays into dip making are experimental, but I have the pizza base sauce nailed now if you want a recipe?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ yes please. Have access to wood-fired pizza oven as I type. Hope to knock some up at the weekend 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXIWyYtq85E[/video]

Cougar

^ yes please.

Pizza sauce

Makes about a litre of sauce, good for around eight 10″ pizzas.

Ingredients
    2tbsp olive oil
    Knob of butter
    1 onion, diced
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 carrot, grated
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    2tsp basil
    2tsp oregano
    Ground black pepper
    150g tomato purée
    50g tomato ketchup [EDIT: see note below]
    Salt & sugar to taste

Method
    Fry the onion in the oil and butter on a medium heat for a few minutes. Add the garlic and carrot and fry for a couple of minutes more, until the onion is soft and translucent.

Add the tomatoes, herbs and generous twists of black pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the tomatoes to break down and release their sweetness.

Remove from the heat. Add the tomato purée and ketchup, stir well and then pulp the mixture with a hand blender until coarsely blended. Add a little sugar or salt to taste if needed.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thnks Cougar. Reads as complex heresy on a few levels* so will give it a try!

*Avowed culinary heretic 🙂

Cougar

Oh, sure, there’s any number of WTFs in there and it’s about as Italian as Dave Grohl. I’m sure that ‘real’ STW pizza sauce involves nothing other fresh vine Napoli tomatoes hand-carried to the UK by Filipino virgins, but I’ve cocked about with this for a while and IMHO it Just Works.

You might need slightly less ketchup, in hindsight I’d do that to taste too – the first batch from this was quite acidic because I didn’t leave it simmering for long enough so I added ketchup to sweeten it down. Maybe add two thirds of that and see where you are.

somafunk

I had the misfortune of almost having a dominos pizza last sat night, I had travelled down from aviemore to kirkcudbright via ballachulish/glencoe so 280 odd miles and I stopped off at my fav pizza place in Dumfries but their wood fired oven was out of use so I ventured into dominos for the first time in my life and I was dumbstruck with the multitude of deal options, think I counted 12 variations, perhaps more but I lost interest so I asked for a large thin crust vegi pizza with olives, mushrooms and jalapeños with rocket and was then utterly confused as it was mentioned that if I choose this option/that option etc etc then I would get this/that etc etc . I said I just want a single large thin crust vegi pizza with olives, mushrooms and jalapeños with rocket, I was **** shocked when I was asked for £16.99……… for a **** pizza?…..needless to say I let out a “you’re **** joking?, that costs me £7 from the **** Italian with a genuine wood oven”. Turns out they were not joking so I walked out and drove to tescos and bought a cheap pizza express margherita and drove home utterly dumbfounded as how the **** can a pizza cost £16.99.

There……that’s my monthly rant….I guess I’ll never know what a dominos pizza tastes like but I seriously doubt it tastes better than a pizza from my fav Italian who have a wood oven that cooks in a matter of seconds

Cougar

The whole point of Dominos is that they charge you one million dollars for a pizza and then offer you some sort of deal to get it down to ten bob so you think “wow, I’ve just saved tons!”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Best dipping sauce? (pizzatrackworld)’ is closed to new replies.