Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best commuting jacket to get me through the next 6 months?
  • jp
    Free Member

Recently gone carless and looking for the most waterproof, windproof breathable jacket I can lay my hands on. Doesn’t need to be cycling specific (I’ll buy a mudguard!). not to worried about price but only want to buy once. Advice? Cheers

footflaps

Think you’ll struggle to find one, I commute in a KLIM Gore Windstopper jacket most days (breathes well) and only use a waterproof when it’s raining hard (still sweat to death in them though).

Tasso
    Free Member

Buy a couple of tops. A really thick warm one for very cold conditions and a lighter one that can be worn with other layers.

I’ve got a cannondale morphis convertible gilet/jacket that works well commuting on the lighter weight side.

Not the most breathable fabric but certainly waterproof and I tend to use it mostly as a Gilet with the option to bung the arms and shoulder part on if I get caught out in the rain. Something like this:Endura CONVERT

For more toasty options look at Buffalo systems teclite range too – there was a thread earlier about their gear

carbon337
    Free Member

Santini Gore Windstopper here – did a big road ride in the rain and wind tonight and i was damp when i got home but still warm inside.

hs125
    Free Member

+1 for Gore windstopper. Can’t remember which one, but the sleeves zip off which makes it more versatile. Although not a waterproof it keeps a shower off, so I only carry a vey light waterproof(ish) jacket when the forecast is bad.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

+decent merihno = warm,dry and rather dashing too. (IMO – :oops:)

NikNak7890
    Free Member

smell_it
    Free Member

Given the last few winters haven’t been kind, I’ve just replaced my aldi winter jacket, which has got me through the daily commute for the last two years, with another aldi winter jacket. I have a lovely assos one for best, but for the rough and tumble of the commute, the aldi one is the best 16quid’s I have spent. I do chuck my cheap tuck away aldi waterproof over it when it’s really hammering it down.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My view – forget breathability – anything breathable enough on a bike will leak, anything totally waterproof will not be breathable enough.

its surprising how little you actually get caught in the rain anyway half a dozen times a year- so use softshells / fleeces and the like with a cheap waterproof that you can carry and only put on when its really chucking it down.

thats what I do and have done for many years

samuri
    Free Member

I have numerous jackets. I have to.

Lightweight very bright jacket for summer/drizzle/nice places.
    Slightly heavier storm jacket for proper autumn weather (wearing that one at the moment)
    Medium heavy arse covering jacket for autumn to winter coverage. Long ride jacket for winter.
    Massively over countried ‘security’ jacket which is actually police excess, 40 quid from ebay. Very heavy, incredibly warm, can be seen from the moon, covers bum. This is the most mental winter jacket ever. But outside of proper nasty winter weather, it’s a sweat fest. Be careful!

FuzzyWuzzy

Agree with TJ, i you want good breathability you need to sacrifice waterproofing. Best compromise is get something like a Gore Phantom with windstopper fabric (showerproof) and a light packable waterproof for if it really hammers down (can take the arms off the Phantom when wearing it with the rain jacket to help with breathability but it won’t help much)

jp
    Free Member

Minefield then! Appreciate the advice. I’ll take a look at the aldi offerings and the gore stuff. The montane soft shells seem to get good reviews so will probably check those out too.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ll take a look at the aldi offerings

They’re only available when they have their biking offers in Autumn/Winter time. You may have missed the boat as said offer was on a few weeks back.

1969pedalpusher
    Free Member

Endura Stealth – you said you weren’t worried about price. Keeps me warm dry and toasty on 6 hour rain rides in winter so will more than handle a commute. Breathes well, but also has huge underarm zip vents. Limited colour options though, but if they did dayglo, it would be the ultimate northern commuter jacket. Just choose a suitable weight merino layer to go under, depending on temperature – you won’t need much as this thing is warm. Some helpful reviews on CRC, including a Finn.

darrell
    Free Member

if money is no object then get the Rapha softshell

chiefgrooveguru

Although I find it too hot for MTBing until it’s really really cold I swear by a Buffalo Special Six Shirt for commuting. You’ll still be using it in sixteen years let alone six months! Wear it on its own and carry your workshirt in fresh.

samuri
    Free Member

layers, layers.

Until it gets blisteringly cold, I’ll carry on with a number of layers under a light, bright jacket.
    I have a storm jacket too for when it’s a bit rainy and sleety and a proper hard core jacket for the death march days.

Alcopop
    Free Member

looks like the Aldi one is still available
    also a 30% merino top worth a look

jp
    Free Member

Hmm, I’d like to retract my ‘not to worried about price’ statement, can’t justify the Rapha price tag. Gore phantom and endura stealth are now top of the list to try on. Cheers all.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Altura Nevis is good for commuting, not the highest tech but good pit zips and pretty tough. More of a ‘wear it’ jacket than a ‘pack it’ jacket though, can get them for under £40 most places

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best commuting jacket to get me through the next 6 months?’ is closed to new replies.