• This topic has 32 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Benalmadena MTB
  • wittonweavers
    Free Member

Taking a long weekend in Benalmadena in April and noticed on the web that there was a company offering downhill MTB-ing close by.

Anyone had any experience down that way?

I was planning hiring a road bike for a few days but this might be better!

danti

I think Switchbacks are based down that way in the winter.

Not been there but been on a trip with them to Bubion in the summer and enjoyed that.

jamsie
    Free Member

You could give these guys a shout.alpajarrra bike hire

jamsie
    Free Member

They hire road and moutain bikes. I think Brian also does some guided rides.

downshep

There’s a cable car that goes up to the mountaintop bird sanctuary behind Benalmadena. There are a couple of moderate DH track back down to the town.

Looked fun.

No, I wasn’t allowed.

chrisdw
    Free Member

We were just riding up the track. Its a long climb, but so worth it, went up there a few times when we were there last year. Just ride around at the top, loads of tracks coming down. Some of them hard to see, but take some strava screenshots before you go. The one that crosses the track a few times on the way down is cool.

northernmatt

Chris Akriggs A Hill in Spain video was filmed round there. I’ve had a look at the Switchbacks site a few times as the OH’s dad has a timeshare in Benalmadena but never actually been. I’m sure I found a site for their equivalent of the white room but can’t recall the name of it now

sharkattack

Switchbacks are definitely based in Benalmadena. I’m sure they’d provide a day or two uplifting if that’s what you want. Lots of good downhill trails but much better with some local knowledge and a van. Very spread out, not to mention very dry and hot.

I’ve been meaning to go back there for 4 years now.

StuE
    Free Member

We had a week in Benalmadena in October had a day out with Sierramtb who are just down the road in Fuengirola http://www.sierramtb.com/

Trekster

Beat me to it Stu. I did the same a few years ago, got the train down & back 😆

tmb467
    Free Member

Roost are the DH mob

Did a days riding with them a few years ago on a stag do – I liked em and would have happily gone back

Think it was €90 for a days bike hire and uplift

Superficial
    Free Member

There is a lot of great riding very near there, but you have to know where it is. I’ve been a few times, including with Roost who were good, although they are (were?) definitely more DH oriented.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I stayed in Mijas (just round the corner…and awesome for riding) over Christmas this year. Did a few runs down into Benalmadena – The run down from the Telecom towers is the best Iv done for a long time! Imaginatively called R4 I think 🙂

Done a few rides with companies out there which are great if you want a van uplift. to be honest though if your just happy to pedal then Strava Global heatmap has all the info you need 🙂

There is also a Gondola in Benalmadena which I have been informed allows bikes if you take the wheels off – may investigate this next time to get a few more runs in.

Sierra Cycles are in Fuengirola and will show you round Mijas – not sure about Benalmadena ?

wors

There’s a cable car that goes up to the mountaintop bird sanctuary behind Benalmadena. There are a couple of moderate DH track back down to the town.

Went there in August, those tracks looked good.

chrisdw
    Free Member

The run down from the Telecom towers

Is that the big ball on top of the hill? That was a big climb! over 800m of ascent in one hit over 8km. Took all morning.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Is that the big ball on top of the hill? That was a big climb! over 800m of ascent in one hit over 8km. Took all morning.

No that’s the Golf Ball, the highest point – I did that climb too, took 1h5m without stopping, nice, steady ascent though.

Telecom towers are up the Tarmac road east of Mijas. There is a nice trail back down to Mijas from there but the track down to Benalmedena was another level of sweet.

Ride

chrisdw
    Free Member

I really want to go back out now. Was going to go this week, but ended up not working out.

Think my favourite trail out there was the one that goes west from the top of Benalmadena. Think its called R3 on Strava.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Wow! thanks chaps!

Thought i might get the odd reply but certainly not this level of detail!

ndthornton
    Free Member

R3, yeah that’s the one I should have done for the second descend, r2 was a bit tame…and I got stung by a wasp.

I’m Def having another long weekend b4 winters end. It’s so cheap and makes the naff weather here more bearable.

grum
    Free Member

I stayed in Mijas (just round the corner…and awesome for riding) over Christmas this year. Did a few runs down into Benalmadena – The run down from the Telecom towers is the best Iv done for a long time! Imaginatively called R4 I think

I’m staying in Mijas this weekend and doing 3 days uplift/guided riding with Switchbacks – get in!!!

I’m Def having another long weekend b4 winters end. It’s so cheap and makes the naff weather here more bearable.

Exactly, can’t wait!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Awesome, enjoy!

julzm
    Free Member

We were with SierraMTB in October too, purely as day trippers. Had a fantastic time.

We took our own bikes – had a fantastic time, met some great people and even got a guide to ourselves for one whole day as they wanted to try out some new stuff and we were the Guinea pigs.

bikerboy2008tc
    Free Member

Echo what ndthornton says, loads of tracks around there , if you have a car take a trip towards el choro it has some great mtbing and is super quiet!
    http://www.blazingtrails.co.uk/the-accomodation/ for a great english local guide

zip
    Free Member

I took my bike up in the gondola, no problems. The tracks at the top were great. I got stuck on one though which was really narrow and overgrown with industrial strength thorns! Overall, well worth it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Some awesome DH tracks there; I’ve been a number of times with Switchbacks – tons of variety for uplift days out along the coast & inland too.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I used sierramtb when i went out at the start of Dec. Great company and guiding. I was the only one out that week so had the guide to myself. Did the golf ball climb and decent and also telecom up then down..did a lot of other singletrack while I was out there. . Wish I was back there!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Ok I will look into the suggested companies. I am not taking my own bike but what kit would you suggest that I throw in the suitcase?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pads!

julzm
    Free Member

Pads definitely and if you’re doing the stuff off the gondola a full face for some of them. Sierra MTB can take you up to the SRAM test track up the back of Mijas near the helipad. There’s some videos of the athertons on it kicks about. Some of it can be ridden on a 150/160mm ‘Enduro’ bike but the full thing probably needs a DH rig.

I’m fairly certain switchbacks will use it too.

baldman
    Free Member

@ndthornton thanks for sharing that route – I’ll be out in Mijas later in the year and was after some ideas as only ever ridden round Malaga as friend knows that area.

Great tips from others too.

Thanks everyone & op.

ndthornton
    Free Member

No worries, here’s another 2 from over Christmas, both were excellent

ride

ride

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

I used sierramtb when i went out at the start of Dec. Great company and guiding.

Thanks for the nice comments.
    We do day trips as well as full week & weekend holidays.Stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day & fantastic après-bike on the coast at night.
    http://www.sierramtb.com since 1992.

grum
    Free Member

Just about to set off home.

Did two days in the end with Switchbacks as we got pissed in Malaga (cool city) on sat night and couldn’t be arsed on Sunday.

Great riding and weather. We stayed in Mijas Pueblo which was very pretty and a decent selection of bars/restaurants. Wasn’t as dead in winter as I thought it might be but nicely busy and still lots of locals living there.

The riding was great though pretty hardcore at times for someone who hasn’t ridden that much in the last three months. Generally very Roma and techy with a few very steep/gnarly sections. Nothing too bonkers though.

Switchbacks villa is in Alhaurin de la Torre now by the way.

We rode a trail called Happy Days near where the Chris Akrigg thing was filmed, and the SRAM test track, then a big long one which they were calling 9/11 then Leftism (think these were from either the golf balls or the Telecoms towers, not sure). Ended up under a motorway bridge near Benalmedina. Second day was riding near Ojen above Marbella. Few laps on a great trail apparently called Gay Pride then a really long one that I’m not sure of the name of.

I dunno if it’s cos we were riding quite heavy bikes (Nukeproof Pulse) but I reckon I’d have been happier on my own bike (YT Capra with 170mm Lyriks). Felt like quite hard work muscling the DH bike around after a while. The trails are pretty relentlessly rocky/technical though for the most part. Probably depends how fast you want to go though. 🙂

Great stuff. I’ll defo be back in the area – vaguely considering whether I can afford a little flat in Mijas to help ease the pain of winter in the north of England. Only a couple of hours up to Sierra Nevada for skiing/snowboarding too.

Awesome, enjoy!

Cheers!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Benalmadena MTB’ is closed to new replies.