• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Begone lumbago
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thought I’d say that I have beaten the lower back pain that I used to get when cycling the MTB.

I hadn’t cycled for around four months due to the Swedish winter, but have done core exercises three times a week , xc skied and usual gym work.

The core stuff has done wonders, I’ve been out on the bike a fair bit now and no pain whatsoever. So if you are struggling with back pain I highly recommend it !

shermer75
    Free Member

I hadn’t cycled for around four months due to the Swedish winter, but have done core exercises three times a week , xc skied and usual gym work

This all sounds like good advice to me! 🙂

silverneedle
    Free Member

Any good links for where to start with core excercises?

sweepy
    Free Member

Lumbago- how old are you?
    It’ll be gout next.
    But yes core exercises do wonderful things.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m 35. I think Lumbago is just a catch all phrase for back pain …? or perhaps gout is imminent…

@silverneedle i do Mondays plank 3 x 2 minutes (started at 1 min) and bridge raises I think they are called. 3 x 20 , holding for 2 seconds at the top.

weds it’s side planks 3 x 1 minute each side, and leg raises, then Friday back to Monday’s routine .

I also do squats and deadlines as part of the gym stuff but not silly weight just decent form

shermer75
    Free Member

I love the word lumbago, it sounds like a tropical dance style. Lower back pain sounds so dull in comparison, might start using it!

13thfloormonk

I’ve been trying to integrate more squat style exercises into my routine, but it seems that if I go any deeper than quads at 45 degrees, I aggravate my knees.

I like the sound of the routines above, my dilemma is that I lack discipline and prefer doing classes, but struggle to find classes to fit my weekly routine!

Oh p.s. What do you mean by ‘leg raises’?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/abs-workout/172/instant-six-pack-fix-bench-leg-raises

that’s not me in the pic .

I’m no expert but if you are aggravating your knees go lighter weight and build up

13thfloormonk

Lighter than my own body weight? 😉

Think I just need to avoid going too deep to begin with.

Thanks for the tips above, might try copying your wee regime as it looks like it would fit into my mornings quite easily.

sweepy
    Free Member

I think Lumbago is just a catch all phrase for back pain …? or perhaps gout is imminent…

Sorry mate, it just seemed a very old time phrase 🙂

I like those russian twists with a bit of weight

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ha ok , 13thfloormonk you are as light as you can go…! yes its made a massive difference for not much time really. Although i still dont like planks.

I heard Russian twists put a bit too much stress on the lower back, but as i say I’m no expert at all.

IHN

Begone lumbago

I think I heard them first on John Peel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Begone lumbago’ is closed to new replies.