Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Beginning of the end for RR.
  • chewkw
    Free Member

BBC news

So I guess this will be the beginning of the end for Rolls Royce … bits by bits, pieces by pieces, everything will be sold. It’s a matter of time …

Yes, yes, they are not selling and yes yes you not selling your soul … yes, yes, you are and yes yes you will be in the future.

Friends from the far east just visited Edinburgh and told me that the place was a dead town. i.e. not economically viable, so I explained to them soon Scotland will be an independent nation governed by the fish head minister salmon … they laughed their heads off and told me they would become beggars if they do so because they did not see prosperity there. This is just from the tourists observation … (they saw a few and gave them some pound coins)

WTF are all those money pumping in foreign countries? Give me your reasons as I want to hear them again. Yes, including you with PhDs …

🙄

Northwind

A massive overseas expansion and doubling of production is “the beginning of the end” and the start of a move to break up the company and sell up? In which world? What would be positive, a massive reduction in production?

You are good value, I’ll give you that 😕

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

A massive overseas expansion is “the beginning of the end” and the start of a move to break up the company and sell up? In which world?

You tell me … expansion or transfer of technology? How do you compete if they know how to do the same thing cheaper with same reliability?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Wow – you’re so funny, you should have an agent.

I mean – why sit in the dark handling yourself?

chewkw
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Wow – you’re so funny, you should have an agent.

I mean – why sit in the dark handling yourself?

Explain. Why not expand locally?

🙄

maldwynyefe
    Free Member

Explain. Why not expand locally?

that is the issue ! ❓

Pook

Erm, not to piss on your Trent 900, but just yesterday another few hundred million £ orders were confirmed.

All with long term service packages and on wing monitoring based in……the UK.

Seletar is adding to, not replacing, production and test capability. Some big building going in Derby, Sheffield, Warwick and other UK sites too. All that stuff didn’t have its official opening yesterday though.

You iz funny guy.

And what’s this “they” and “we”? It’s all Rolls-Royce.

cynic-al
    Free Member

NEver trust a man in bad shoes.

maldwynyefe
    Free Member

NEver trust a man in bad shoes? 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh yes.

Have you seen the OP’s shoes?

Your pic link is broken for me.

iDave
    Free Member

you are kaesae and I claim my 5 yuan

TooTall
    Free Member

Awesome leaps of logic displayed by the OP here. Sir, you are to be congratulated on your attempt to troll a bad story from a sensible set of business decisions that don’t support your logic in any way.

Bravo!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Friends from the far east just visited Edinburgh and told me that the place was a dead town. i.e. not economically viable

wtf?

boxelder

WTF are all those money pumping in foreign countries?

Eh??

Friends from the far east just visited Edinburgh

What, is Dunbar really so different??

MSP

I think the key statement I took from that story was

Authorities, as well as the education sector, are working together to cater for Rolls-Royce’s labour needs, by giving workers such as Kenneth Koh, 26, the education required.

Investing in people and the future is where Europe and The US is failing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Friends from Glasgow just visited and told me it wan’t economically friable.

nasher
    Free Member

As MSP said and quoted on the site

However, the biggest pull was the promise of a steady supply of highly skilled labour, through partnerships with local universities and polytechnics.

And with university fees rocketing, very little people doing science degress, no incentives for apprenticeships etc.. Its little wonder that in 15 years time there will be little skilled workforce left in the UK

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    Friends from Glasgow just visited and told me it wan’t economically friable.

*Applauds!*

slimjim78
    Free Member

friends from the east (of London) just visited and told me they werent too keen on haggis. But the castle is pretty. Despite being smaller than you’d imagine.

soobalias
    Free Member

drinking and typing ruins lives.

EDIT: rather disappointed that this wasnt a thread about the wear rates of schwalbe racing ralphs/rocket rons.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

RR is investing in Asia for a number of reasons, and while it isn’t immeadiate doom and gloom for its Uk manufacturing base, it needs to be mindful.

Some reasons for investment in Asia

– rr must expand to deliver its future growth potential (60bn). Where possible they will always invest where government subsidies will assist. At present that help is minimal from the Uk.

– its where the growth is coming from. The Asian economies aren’t stupid, and sign deals based on a certain % of the deal being sources locally. So a % of the cost of the engine will come from Asia

-the Uk struggles to provide the number of skilled engineers / technicians that the Uk aerospace industry requires. This is the real danger to Uk high value added manufacturing imo.

Having said all that, there will always be a Uk presence for rr. It’s development grants from Uk mod should help maintain some of that. The order book is also so big that the overseas investment is needed in addition to its Uk factories.

It’s also a truely global company now (has been for a while) and has been manufacturing in Germany, norway and the US for a good number of years.

aracer
    Free Member

This is bad news for RR just like building plants in the UK was bad news for all the Japanese car firms.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This is bad news for RR just like building plants in the UK was bad news for all the Japanese car firms.

Whent he LG factory in South Wales opened the wage costs were lower than in their Korean factories!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

This is bad news for RR just like building plants in the UK was bad news for all the Japanese car firms

Can you expand?

Wasn’t nissan (sunderland) europe’s most productive car factory last year?

Woody
    Free Member

Friends from the far east just visited Edinburgh and told me that the place was a dead town

Did they remember to reset their watches?

andyl
    Free Member

What’s wrong with those of us with PhDs?

In a way it’s a shame they couldn’t employ more people in the UK but on flip side it shows they are doing well, they are taking advantage of other governments money and it makes very good business sense as it WILL lead to an even stronger market position and re-affirms links with the east that have broken down in recent decades. There will be people from the UK going over to the east to work with them, hell I’d go as I like Singapore and we get a lot of engineering students from Asia in the UK and this will also strengthen the engineering based academic and research relationship. Not sure about curried fish head though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Beginning of the end for RR.’ is closed to new replies.