Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • BBC going crackers over reporting this kidnapped kid in Pakistan
  • hora
    Free Member

I dont get it. Is it just me? Why the over reporting? In the morning before I go to work it seems News24 has nothing else to report. Why?

No it doesn't make me callous either. 🙄

jam-bo

News24 has nothing else to report.

that'll be why.

Drac

They got bored of swine panic and the snow has melted in London.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

It's probably because it's a scam

nuke

…because the media thinks "there's more to it" than just a 'standard' kidnap/ransom story 🙄

Harry_the_Spider

What has poor Orla Gherkin done to the BBC to get sent to all of these sh1t holes?

A few years back it was Caroline Hawley who forever getting shot at and blown up.

MSP

Its an easy story to report, and requires no investigation or journalism. Nothing has been reported that hasn't been said by the police or family.

retro83
    Free Member

BBC news is crap lately, it gets stuck in 'one story mode' and even when there is nothing more to say they keep showing the same old clips.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Theres defo a stink to this whole episode! But yeah Im bored of it too

scaredypants

the fact that they sent Orla means they were certain there'd be a death involved

now they've invested in bigging up the story they have to get airtime out of it

(I'm sure they're also hopeful that a can of worms exists here somewhere, be it a scam, international terrorism or whatever)

GrahamS

Of course there are hundreds of identical kidnappings happening every week in that area. But they're just foreigners.
    this one was newsworthy because he was British.

verses

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was being reported in such a way as to make him the new "Shannon"…

hora
    Free Member

How many people have been murdered or raped in the greater Manchester area in the past two weeks?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It's because mephedrone is going to kill all the children in England, and they just want to help us remember what they looked like.

BigJohn

They were convinced it would turn out it was the dad who set it up, and now they are having to pretend they were interested in the story for its own sake.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It's a kid – headline news for the ahhhh factor
    It was in Pakistan – Daily Mail /terrorism factor
    Ransom paid in Paris – oooh exotic foreign places
    Kidnappers caught – they all lived happily ever after

I'm surprised the BBC are reporting anything else this week

GrahamS

> this one was newsworthy because he was British.

How many people have been murdered or raped in the greater Manchester area in the past two weeks?

Not many have been murdered. Probably none?

But are you suggested Mancunians aren't British? Or just not newsworthy?

Chase
    Free Member

It's nearly the end of the tax year and the BBC hasn't met it's quota on ethnic related news stories.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If the kid had had his head sawn off by crazies on Al-Jazeera it would have been a huge, huge story. Maybe they were hoping for that, maybe they were hoping it was a scam. Anyway, they'll run with what they're given. But yes, very bored of it.

br
    Free Member

If nothing else, note how the calls between the kidnappers and the money collectors were picked up, GCHQ?

Be careful what you say/post/text…

GrahamS

If nothing else, note how the calls between the kidnappers and the money collectors were picked up, GCHQ?

Be careful what you say/post/text…

Project ECHELON is hardly new or secret though is it?

I mean it's not like black helic…

Oh GOD, please no.. Mmmmpph… mmpphmm… free speec.. mmph…

kimbers

bbc do tend toward the sensationalist stories i dunno whether its because they are trying to hard to compete with sky, itv and the godawful press we have in this country

its a problem with our media as a whole and the bbc is judged on its competitivenes in this crappy marketplace

IHN

I've actually been thinking the exact opposite. In the days following the kidnap there was 'a little boy has been kidnapped in Pakistan' and then pretty much bugger all until yesterday.

Compare/contrast with Madeleine McCann, which had wall to wall coverage for weeks from the outset.

scruff
    Free Member

Anyone care to disagree ?

GrahamS

Just to be clear – I don't agree with that sentiment, but it does seem to be the dark truth at the heart of British media coverage.

Nothing more inward looking and xenophobic than the news reports that go "Five thousand people were killed in an earthquake today, including 2 Britons"

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I agree – the story has really been caned.

GMTV actually sent their Chief Reporter over to India to cover the story and fly back with the kid.

Which pissed me right off ……. poxy fart-arse station like that, wasting money.

I pay for ITV every time I go shopping in Tesco – whether or not I watch that heap of shite.

hora
    Free Member

Compare/contrast with Madeleine McCann, which had wall to wall coverage for weeks from the outset.

The media sniffed that they could nail the parents over this. Dont forget ALOT of that coverages was geared towards their failings as parents that night. They were trying to cast dirt onto them. It wasnt geared towards helping the McCann's search for their daughter. In addition, the McCanns kept the search alive and in the media with constant and untiring campaigning.

I also remember some utter tools on here saying some awful stuff about the McCanns. That day the schools were full and the village idiots were out at play on keyboards IMO.

allthepies
    Free Member

>GMTV actually sent their Chief Reporter over to India to cover the story and fly back with the kid.
    >Which pissed me right off ……. poxy fart-arse station like that, wasting money.

Absolutely! I mean the kid wasn't even in India, you'd think they'd send the reporter to the right country wouldn't you.

jj55

Don't watch it – simple as 😐

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..the kid wasn't even in India

He wasn't even in India ? 😯

FFS …….. those tw4ts at GMTV can't tell their arse from their elbow 😐

Where was he btw ? …….. I didn't bother paying much attention – I've got better things to do at half six in the morning than sit on my elbow and watch that sort of crap.

Gary_C

How long before the family get Max Clifford on board to hawk their story around the tabloids?

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

The BBC is going to the dogs. P!ss-poor journalism is rife. A piece on the closure of lighthouses a couple of days ago.If the sorry excuse for a reporter had said "iconic" one more time,I would have blown a gasket.

samuri
    Free Member

Nothing more inward looking and xenophobic than the news reports that go "Five thousand people were killed in an earthquake today, including 2 Britons"

One of whom lived in London.

Now that's a news story!!!!

chewkw
    Free Member

They just keep going on and on and on and on … FFS! I guess they have no exciting news …

john_drummer
    Free Member

correction – newsworthy in Britain. I bet it didn't even make the back page of the Sidney Autotrader*

*insert any random non-british newspaper here

Slow news week.

Spongebob
    Free Member

In the morning before I go to work it seems News24 has nothing else to report. Why?

Because they have become a bunch of fluffy sensationalist lightweights, unlike the BBC of old who reported factually and didn't seek to pad out the whole day with tittle tattle and repetition around a single news story.

Yesterday I breifly watched the news at lunchtime, six hours later on, I watched the exact same newsreel. I guess they wanted to get off to the pub early coz it was Friday!

The news we get to hear about in the UK is closely controlled and all the providers of the news have to toe the line. The BBC is no exception.

Who knows what is really going on.

br
    Free Member

Best headline ever about 'local' things was in the Hull Daily Mail:

Headline – "Hull man lost at sea"

Actually story – Loss of the Titanic!

hora
    Free Member

I wonder what Labours BBC's agenda is this week?

Macavity
    Free Member

I like a story with a happy ending, thats why I read Mr Men books they are my favourite. And I'm just happy to be back home those people with guns were scarry

BigJohn

Sometimes when you hear of shootings in Brixton etc. the BBC seems to go out of its way to point out that the dead man wasn't white or had an exotic name. You can almost hear the implied "so that's all right then".

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘BBC going crackers over reporting this kidnapped kid in Pakistan’ is closed to new replies.