Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BB30 and cranks
  • jk1980
    Free Member

Hi

I’m getting a new bike that’s setup for BB30. There are so many BB standards out there and I don’t 100% get all the new standards (although I do understand how the old tapered BB’s work!)

Does anyone know if my current SLX cranks will fit onto a BB30 BB? I have a shimano BB (think its hollowtech 2) on the current bike.

Cheers

DezB
    Free Member

No, they definitely won’t. Although I have seen adapters for sale (Planet X, IIRC), I’ve no experience of them. BB30 axle is a different size.
    If you want to sell the SLX I’m interested 😉

thefallguy
    Free Member

They will fit but you’ll need some adaptors or a bb30 to hollow tech bottom bracket. I’ve got a push fit 30 bb with wheels manufacturing adaptor cups. Buy carefully though its a minefield out there!

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the help,

Would like to keep the SLX as they’ve been solid! CRC have a great deal on those at the mo BTW!

thefallguy – you say its a minefield – is there any one in particular you’d recommend? Or has anyone else had experience with these adaptors?

wellywheels
    Free Member

get a KCNC BB30 adapter, it will work fine then!!

CLICKY

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks….but the road/cross country use only puts me off, this bike will take a fair beating, so want something reasonably solid

gee
    Free Member

Get the SRAM BB30 to BSA adaptor cups http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3477&p=339198&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Bottom%20Brackets&gclid=CL3tsoLGjrcCFbMQtAod5WoA-A

Screw BB into cups (don’t forget the spacers as needed), then press whole thing into frame with a headset press. Easy.

GB

amt27
    Free Member

Gee, that adaptor will not work on BB30, the description is wrong on their website, it is a PF30 to BSA adaptor only BB30 is different but uses the same sized bearings,

Anyway I have some Wheels Manufacturing adaptors for sale http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-xc6-hub-xt-chainset-tdf2012-dvd-charge-tyre-other-stuff

these fit into the bearings on a BB30 or PF30 and reduce the diameter to accept a Shimano 24mm crank spindle

wellywheels
    Free Member

the bearings in it are fine, and are easily replaceable, i used one for a year, and the bearings were still running smooth. used both for road and MTB.

gee
    Free Member

Sorry thought there was a choice of buying a BB30 one or a PF30 one. Yes – that won’t fit.

Problem is those BB30 bearings don’t last long – pressing in an adaptor and running a normal HT2 BB seems the most durable solution.

This looks right though:

http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/fsa-bb30-to-bsa-bb-shell-adapter-68mm.html?gclid=CPOWvJbNjrcCFVMbtAodlz4AJA

GB

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the help, starting to understand this a bit better now, it does sound like a pain!

I already have a decent HT2 BB so getting an adaptor to press into the frame sounds like a good idea

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BB30 and cranks’ is closed to new replies.