Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • battery operated garage alarms
  • verticalclimber
    Free Member

has anyone had experience of above? my garage is on bloc only 30 yards or so from house but no power. neighbour had his done over Bike gone etc etc, luckily mine has extra bolt/padlock and 3 point locking door so not easy target but i see alarms not expensive. most interested in actually how long the batteries last.

quite scary when you add up what 6 bikes and tools would cost to replace even though all insured

alanl
    Free Member

I was given one of these by the local Police when my bike was stolen:
    http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/Battery_Powered__Keypad_Control_Shed_Garage_Alarm.html

I thought it’d be rubbish, yet when tested, it is remarkably loud, and would certainly scare off any burglars I reckon.

Alan.

project
    Free Member

It all depends on somebody hearing the alarm for long enough before it is disabled by a quick hit with a hammer, oh and whoever hears it, has the sence to look out and phone the Police if they see something.

Probably the neighbours will just be glad its not their garage, as is the the state of neighbour relations nowadays.

Best to try and make the garage secure, wthout making it to obvious, that there is something of value inside.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    higthepig
    Free Member

Funny that, similar scenario, neighbours got done over a week or so, I then fretted about the kit I have in the garage.

Our garage is attached to the house, but I bodged a doorbell to be an alarm, the push button is on the door and the ringer in the house. When the door is opened it triggers the push button and the ringer rings in the house. Cost about a fiver for the doorbell thing and about 2 hours bodging to get the thing to work, I’m on the Mark II version at the moment, seems to work quite well so far.
    The push button worked up to about 50 metre from the ringer, not sure though it would give you the range you need to run out with the Bombers

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve got an electric one that goes off in the house. Small PIR unit that you stick in the shed, and (mains powered) receiver unit in the house.

No idea how long the PIR battery lasts for yet – they claim a year, even if it’s only 6 months really, that isn’t too bad, I only put it in yesterday (after my bike* was nicked from there, hmph).

It makes a blooming loud noise in the house so I certainly will hear it if I’m in. I can’t get into the shed at all without setting it off either, I tried quite hard yesterday. Range seems quite good – works even through our big thick old house walls, plus all of an extension, and 50 foot of garden.

It is this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVEWAY-ALERT-WEATHERPROOF-ALARM-PROTECT-GARAGE-SHED-/250721699095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a602d8517#ht_4120wt_952
    I think the same as this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A9-WIRELESS-WEATHERPROOF-GARDEN-DRIVEWAY-GARAGE-OUTBUILDING-BURGLAR-ALERT-ALARM-/250993477419?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&var=&hash=item80142625a2#ht_3448wt_952

I’ve also stuck an alarmed padlock on my bikes, which is jolly loud and goes off if you move it at all, as I thought it’d be good to let any thieves know that there was an alarm as well as letting me know that they were there.

Joe

*fortunately only the cheap halfords one rather than the commuter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘battery operated garage alarms’ is closed to new replies.