Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Basso out of tour
  • tang
    Free Member

According to the press release he’s been diagnosed with testicular cancer. They discovered it after complaining of pains after stage 5 crash. How much can one week dish up? Hoof it Basso!

IHN

he’s been diagnosed with testicular cancer.

If anything’s ever been proved not to get in the way of a cycling career…

Seriously though, all the best to him. What a first week!

martinhutch

Let’s hope they’ve spotted that early.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I popped it in the daily thread but probably no LA references….

It was announced in the middle of a live segment of the local coverage and one of the guys I think had ridden with him so you can imagine the reaction.

All the best to him and his family.

beej

Announcement was 2 hours after he found out himself. One of the team (DS?) said 98-99% chance of full recovery so hopefully they’ve found it early. Contador in tears apparently.

I kind of like Basso, now in his post-doping domestique role.

hatter

Whilst his slightly murky doping past means I wouldn’t call myself a ‘fan’ getting any kind of cancer at 37 is harsh as hell and I wish him the best of luck and a full recovery.

cookeaa

So in an odd way that crash may have actually helped save Ivan Basso’s life then?

Healing Vibes etc…

nemesis
    Free Member

I think I’d go rather stronger than ‘slight murky’ but otherwise, very much hatter +1

bikebouy
    Free Member

I totally admire the guy. Been one of my heros all through “those” years and still to this day think he’s a far better rider than he wants to show.

Hoping he recovers well and returns to riding soon.

Dude 8)

Speshpaul

Being positive, that’s good news. I hope they can get ahead of this and his recovery is swift.

Oh, and what a week. Amazing. Even had two really dull TT’s as well 😀

tang
    Free Member

I met him at the cycleshow last year, great smile and super friendly. Stylish rider despite ‘the era’. Sounds like they got it early.

theotherjonv

So in an odd way that crash may have actually helped save Ivan Basso’s life then?

Cricket friend of mine got one in the nuts a la Alistair Cook in the last test.

When several days later the pain hadn’t decreased substantially he took his sore and swollen nut in to the doctor. Later the same day he’d been diagnosed and the day after, after some repeated deposits had been made at the sperm bank, he was under the knife.

As he’d say; very treatable if caught early but if he’d actually caught his (catch) he might not be here to laugh about it now.

Check your nuts fellas; you might not be as lucky to snag them on your stem or get hit by 5 1/2 oz of fast moving leather until it’s too late.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Basso out of tour’ is closed to new replies.