Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • bar mitts pogies how about these
  • karnali
    Free Member

having seen the barr mitts on teh fresh goods it looks like a good solution as i have all manner of cycling gloves but none that work really well sub zero. however i though 44 was a little steep. any reason what any of thesew ould not do the same thing (onl to be used commuting)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_handlebar.020mitts.020motorbike_gl_automotive?keywords=handlebar%20mitts%20motorbike&tag=lpo%5Fixdpamusukenhandlebar.020mitts.020motorbikegl%5Fautomotive-21&index=blended

cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have the Oxford ones – they work great on normal bars but are poor on carnegies so my snow bike has standard bars

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I made some the other day. Let’s say the design isn’t finalized. I happened on some car windscreen scrapers in the £1 shop which have a big blue insulated/padded muff round the handle. So £2 and half an hour on the sewing machine, I had some pogies. (I DID remove the ice scrapers 😆 )

Problem is the cuffs. They have a nice elastic cuff, but that means it’s not possible to get the second hand in or out without using teeth! I also didn’t leave quite enough space for the brake lever, but that’s easy to fix. I’d call it work in progress..

ebygomm
    Free Member

I bike in Dachsteins when it’s subzero with a fleece liner. I’ve got some ‘lobster claw’ style ones, but even in my normal ones it’s fine. Even though they’re mitts, they’re roomy enough that I can operate brakes and gears normally.

karnali
    Free Member

mountain carrot any pics of the work in progress?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I have photos, will post them tonight because they are on my home PC.

Hi Ebygomm, I’ve tried mitts and don’t feel safe, can’t hold the bars properly when braking down rough hills. Similar for lobster mitts. My two outer fingers don’t stay on the bars tightly when both the inner two are used for brakes.
    It’s one finger on the brakes for me. Have just ordered some 2011 Specialized sub-zero (which have 3+1 lobster set-up) to see if they will do the job.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have marmot mountain mitts AND endura lobsters

the pogies seem to piss on both – the marmots are ace but a pig to eat – and my need for warm hands is based around the strathpuffer and puffer training ….

the lobsters work well to about -6

looking forward to getting out on some winter bivvying with the snow bike – will let you know how they work on that … got some sheepskin lined rigger boots and gators for riding on flats in 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

My mitts are actually roomy enough that I can still brake with one finger, effectively my fingers move about inside the glove independently of the glove if that makes sense. My lobster claw dachsteins are 3+1.

karnali
    Free Member

trail rat are those the oxford ones from the link they are much bigger than i imagined and having seen them on i may well order a pair. thought about the spec sub zero lobsters as well, but mat try these to use up my many many half worn out winter gloevs and treat myself next year if the need is there. lookign forward to apic of the home made ones carrot

cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye those are the oxford ones

other other to note – they are not usable with rohloffs due to cable routing from shifter …

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Could always go down the DIY route.

IGMC

finbar
    Free Member

Any crafty ideas for drop bars anyone?

karnali
    Free Member

trail rat i assume fine with shimano shifters, much hassle to take on and off or not?

trail_rat
    Free Member

due to cable routing no problems with shimano shifters – rohloff cables come out perpendicular to the handlebar and thats the issue

easy to go on and off its a press stud and a bit of velcro –

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh and a couple of straps like on bag straps

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

OK. I posted earlier. Here is Work in Progress. Need a bit more effort to get right, but cost only £2. Start with two ice scrapers from the £ shop.
    I need to adjust them now to give a little more brake space for the fingers. And the elastic cuff means you need to use your teeth to pull the second one on! (Not ideal 😕 ).I ride Rohloff so the single twist grip works quite well.

gusamc
    Free Member

From a motorcycling background, the really specialst models were based om 2 milk 6 pinters, or two lightweight 1 gallon containers, simply cut out one side, nozzle zippied around bars, base clamped, it’s crash resistant, waterproof, windproof and stylish ……………

karnali
    Free Member

i’m liking those home made ones

karnali
    Free Member

crotchrocket i have spoken to the guy who makes those today, he is taking apair home to try on his bike and has said give him a day or to and he’ll knock up a pair for a bike, aking off the neprene cuff and making the opening more bike friendly. feeling quite hopefull somethin good will come back from him, he was quite keen.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

@trailrat. I do like those. Better looking than my homemade ones. I’d need to cut holes for my Rhoff shifters by the sound of it. Thanks for the pics. Worth thinking about.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I have the Oxford ones – they work great on normal bars but are poor on carnegies so my snow bike has standard bars

What’s the issue on the Carnegies? Has anybody got a pair of the Bar Mitts?

Rik
    Free Member

Any news from the eBay chap – who was going to make some custom ones from the canoeing ones as a starting template?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Flatfish and me both used Bar Mitts on the STW winter bivvy. Believe me when I say it was cold, we had light weight gloves and at one point (long climb) our hands were too hot … they work, are well made and IMO well worth the cash. IanB has since bought a pair!

Rik
    Free Member

Did you get the bar mitts direct from the US or from the UK?

How much did they work out with postage if you got them from the states?

coastkid
    Free Member

Here you go Rik, im waiting on posty to deliver a pair 😮
    http://www.ajbikeequipment.com/

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Rik, came from coastkids link … worked out about £40, very quick delivery too.

karnali
    Free Member

update on the pogies, spoke to the guy just now, he hopes to have them in the post to me today or tomorrow, cracking fella has said he wants me to test them for him, so i’ll put up some pics when they arrive and after some use of christmas and update on how they perform. if they are going to be priced as his rowing ones are could be a good deal

karnali
    Free Member

ok pogies arrived today in the post. feel very warm in the house, thick cordura material on outside, fleece inner with a nylon inner cuff. Fiton the bike great and performed well on my short 10 min spin out. PIcs later onc camera battery is charged and hopefully a couple of rides this week in the cold to give them a good test. If the pricing is comparabel to the rowing pogies then a could be a good buy i would say.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i modified my oxfords to work with the rohloff – think a stanley knife in stratigic places

i rode 50miles today and no issues with cold at all !

one foot when numb from sweat freezing but hum hoo

Rik
    Free Member

My proto-types pogies arrived from Ray from the e bay link above (or type in http://www.hotpog.co.uk and it will take you through to the e bay page) – just in time for the regular Wednesday night ride. They fitted well on the bars using a mix of velcro and zip and they are nice and secure, got them in stealth black they still look a bit ‘special’ having two huge gloves attached to your bars but not too bad (after all they are there for a reason not to look good). Ray has done a great job and all the stitching and material looked substantial and well made.

Firstly I suffer from very bad Reynaud’s so struggle hugely in the winter with my hands and feet, to the point that sometimes I just can’t ride. I’ve tried every glove combo and just about struggle through, but its painful and does effect my riding (feet I found the solution last year – I did have a pair of Shimano winter boots but my feet still froze – I replaced them with another pair of Shimano winter boots but 3 sizes too big – with big socks now have toasty feet due to all the room).

Last nights ride was cold probably around -3 ish, but cold enough that for the first time I’ve seen Rivelin Valley river in Sheffield was frozen over bank to bank in some areas (not just the ponds but the river itself!) .

Tried the pogies first with a near summer weight glove (windstopper but no insulation) – with another 3 pairs of gloves of varying weight in my bag – just in case. The pogies were outstanding from the off set, they create a little micro climate for your hands and obviously your hands are not exposed to the wind, so once your brake lever warms up my hands were spot on, warm and very comfortable for the entire ride

Benefits are huge I think, worst thing about full on winter gloves is that you lose the feel and connection with the bars, with the pogies I can go for a super thin palmed glove for maximum feel and still have warm hands.

Downsides – they are super easy to get in an out off, and I think they would be fine in the vast majority of crashes, but over the bar crashes could be restrictive but I’d still happily ride super technical trails in them. They have an elastic part round the wrist for a closer fit and although it’s loose could do with being a little looser for bigger gloves to aid getting in and out (but that’s a small down – and they were fine with thin gloves – i’ll be feeding back to Ray anyway). Oh…..and they do look a little ‘special’, but I’m totally sold as the benefits esp. for me or anybody else with bad Reynaud’s are huge. I think the pogies with a two part thin glove like the Fox antifreeze would cover all the bases.

Must say Ray is a top, top guy to deal with over the email and phone, he makes all the stuff himself so any tweaks or special requested will be easy to do and the result is a quality well made product at a very reasonable price.

karnali
    Free Member

Rik

i have the other pair of prototypes to try out, i went for red, i can agreewith everything written by rik, i have been out the last three days using the pogies. about -3 -4 no sun and i have been riding in them with pair of £2 liner gloves on, hands toasty warm, index finger alittel cold to start with due to the lever being cold. After being on the bike for around 20 mins, i took the gloves off and the bar grip was lovely and warm. I find the pogies alittle restrictive for using the thumb shift but that is just due to the material being there as i’m used to riding with nothing over the bars. The elastic cuff could be a little looser but overall these are a revelation. befor i got these i would de with 2 or 3 pairs of gloves and my fingers would freeze.

pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41426293@N07/

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘bar mitts pogies how about these’ is closed to new replies.