Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • bank transfers using iban etc
  • sadexpunk

hi

just been offered an item id asked for in a wtd ad on here. owner has an english address but has asked for bank transfer to a norwegian bank (skandia) and has given me an iban and swift number.

not sure how to transfer money using this method, ive only ever done transfers putting in a sort code and acc no.

is it just as straightforward?

thanks

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Careful Dave – it might be legit but I got scammed on here recently after placing a wanted ad for a phone – turned out the guy was in Scandinavia but gave me an address in Scotland

Not saying this is the same but proceed with caution

bruneep

And you trust this person? Are they known on here, my alarm bells are ringing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not sure how to transfer money using this method, ive only ever done transfers putting in a sort code and acc no.

is it just as straightforward?
    Easier just to post the cash…. This method offers you absolutely no comeback or protection if when the stuff doesn’t show up.

sadexpunk

oooooh, thanks for the heads up, no i hadnt thought of anything fishy on here, its not ebay after all 😀 ill ask a few more questions before i part with the readies.

thanks for the warning!

cheers

EDIT: just mailed back asking for his username here, and also a pic of the item next to a bit of paper with todays date on it.
    hope its legit, ive already given him my name and address, altho i spose thatd already be out in the public domain anyway…..

nickjb
    Free Member

Get them to reply to the wanted ad thread on here then you can check stw history. No history, walk away.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check the images for stock/borrowed ones, tell them you will pay be paypal, ask for a quick skype/video chat, ask for pics of a specific area of the item. FWIW I wouldn’t ever do bank transfer to someone I didn’t know and certainly somebody who could just be trawling the publicly available wtd ads and firing off e-mails.

By warned it means no “I sent money and got nothing in return” post

beej

I’ve done a few international transfers, my bank (Lloyds) has an international transfer section as part of the online banking.

A cheaper way might be to use Transferwise – the rates tend to be better and the broker the international bit so you pay your side with a debit card and they put the equivalent amount in the bank account of the recipient.

DrJ

Another vote for Transferwise if you decide you actually do want to make this transaction.

bruneep

Alternatively if you want to send me the money for the Chromebook I don’t have, I promise not to send you anything.

Same result for you but better for me.

sadexpunk

thanks chaps, i hadnt heard of transferwise so ill bear that in mind. tbh im starting to think i probably wont hear from him again now, you know what its like once the seeds of doubt are planted 🙂
    btw, he stated he doesnt have paypal, and id guess if i were to ask he wouldnt have skype either.

bruneep, thats an attractive proposition, hope you have a good christmas with my money 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t piss about. PayPal (pukka PayPal NOT Gift) or nothing. This has done the rounds. You’ll lose your money if you transfer to Norway.

sadexpunk

hes got back in touch with me saying its already packed up hence no picture with todays date now 🙂
    he says he hasnt got a username as he was contacted by a friend from stw who told him about my ad. ive asked him who this is, and ask if hed be prepared to do the deal by Transferwise.
    i havent looked into that btw, would i be covered against a fraudulent activity if i went ahead? is there any reason he could say no to that?

btw, hes given me his address in broadstone, poole BH17 8LZ. dont spose anyones near there are they?

needless to say, i wont be paying anything unless 100% certain

thanks for your help chaps 🙂

EDIT: just been looking at transferwise, cant see where the security is. i pay transferwise, they convert it at a low rate and send it to matey abroad. if i dont get the goods i cant see how it differs from a bank transfer. just looks like a low conversion rate transfer…..

nealglover
    Free Member

he stated he doesnt have paypal

I can imagine why, it takes months to set up, and so many forms to fill in……

Oh, wait. no… It takes about 90 seconds 😆

Walk away. I can smell the bullshit from here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep BS scammer, Who would live in the UK, not have a UK bank account and want paid in Norway?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3ZskbLa_Io[/video]

sadexpunk

Walk away. I can smell the bullshit from here.

yeah, im pretty sure thats whatll happen.

thanks

bruneep

Tell him to send to his your friend is in broadstone so your friend who lives there can pick it up for you.

😉

sadexpunk

Tell him to send to his friend in broadstone so your friend who lives there can pick it up for you.

no, i think he says thats where he lives.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

scam walk away now

would i be covered against a fraudulent activity if i went ahead

no even if you used another method ‘you transfered the funds’

you surely arent going ahead with this, Im surprised your even bothering to email him. As for giving out your details….. You not heard about such scams? There all over the inetrnet, BBC news. Some people make themselves a victim.

Paypal gift?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

ive already given him my name and address

and email and now your money?

identity fraud?

sadexpunk

you surely arent going ahead with this, Im surprised your even bothering to email him. As for giving out your details….. You not heard about such scams? There all over the inetrnet, BBC news. Some people make themselves a victim.

i wont be going ahead with this unless he opens a paypal account now. i gave him my address before hed given me his ‘norwegian bank iban/swift’ details, so at that point there was nothing to be suspicious about, it was just a member from here who’d seen my wtd ad.

im still mailing back as im intrigued as to how far this will go. he still emails me back. he said he was ‘contacted by a friend on stw’ about the ad. this leads me to believe its not just a general minesweeper of wtd ads if he uses the shortcut ‘stw’ as we do.

hes also just told me the stw mwmbers name (not username, real name) so im about to mail the gaffers and ask them to look into this for me.

but no, therell be no payment to him other than by paypal now.

thanks

nealglover
    Free Member

Let the STW detectives dig him out 😆

What’s his name
    What’s his email address
    What’s his friends name
    Any other details. Etc.

He will be found by the time the Internet detectives have finished their poptarts.

sadexpunk

ok, here goes. if its genuine then the mods can delete the details id hope…..

his name is christopher gould
    christop.goulds at gmail dot com
    his friends name is paul terrens
    i dont want to post someones genuine address but its a road in broadstone, poole BH18 8LZ

the bank acc details will obviously be correct as the money would have to be paid there but its skandia bank, in 5020 bergen, norway.

hope this is of use to someone 🙂

thanks

EDIT: mods have just replied to me stating theres no user called paul terrens

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Someone who works in Norway (Rigs?), and needs funds available in Norway? And works for a Norwegian Company (Wages paid into Norwegian Bank account.) Some UK banks can get very itchy about non domicile accounts with lots of payments being passed through them.

I know a few people in the same boat.

But i very much doubt any of them couldn’t set up a paypal account within about 5 minutes.

And FWIW, the Norwegian scam has popped up on a couple of other forums i browse.

Even if he does set up a paypal account, i’d avoid this one like the plague.

iolo
    Free Member

OP, walk away.

Cougar

EDIT: mods have just replied to me stating theres no user called paul terrens

On that point, it’s difficult to be 100% sure as some users don’t give their real name. But a search for that surname reveals nothing.

As others have said though, regardless of whether than name exists or no, the whole thing stinks of a scam. I’d walk away.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘bank transfers using iban etc’ is closed to new replies.