Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bandit and spectral 27.5 owners ride reports please
  • ceepers

So I’m saving towards a first full sus. Don’t want anything too big as realistically it’s not going to be used on anything too lairy.

At the moment my heart is leaning towards a bandit which I think will suit what I want. Lively descending but still climb well. Trouble is that’s going to really stretch my budget and canyon value being what it is, my head says a spectral is the sensible option.

Demo is difficult since I’m in Devon and small so the shops that do have bikes rarely have the right size.

I have a soul at the moment which I’m keeping. Wide bars 50mm stem and small frame.
    It’s great and a real nimble bike. Basically I want a full sus version of that.

So far full sus wise I’ve ridden a five and a trek fuel, neither of which had the nimbleness of the soul. The fuel especially felt very dead and sluggish.

So if anyone who has either a bandit or spectral in 27.5 flavour can tell me how they feel and let me know if I’m on the right track.

Thanks in advance!

ceepers

Anyone?

I think I may get the chance to try a kona 134 and possibly a bandit (in the wrong size) soon

richen987
    Free Member

Hi I have a 27.5 Bandit, I really like it a lot, but i would say that as i own it!
    I had the 26in Bandit before which was also a great bike too.

It definitely descends very well and is very quick to steer and corners really well, holds nicely in the air and is very easy to bounce it round.

It does climb well too, better than the previous one, it is by no means as good as a hard-tail but is still pretty stiff and climbs well in or out of the saddle. I have the new Fox CTD shock and in trail mode there is little or no bobble, on the road in the climb setting it is solid and that is also good for fire-roads too.

I think it is a pretty good bike, certainly lively and nimble and will handle anything/everywhere.
    Size wise they are good too, they lengthened the top tube a little to enable you to run a short stem and lowered the front end a bit whih helps. I am 6ft and ride a large. fits well.

I bought a frame and shock and built it up with parts, I don’t think the full bike represents good value for money, the spec is not amazing for the price and no-way competes with the Canyon in that respect.

I built up with Pikes, reverb, 1×10 xt/zee drive-train, superstar wheels and it cost a lot less than the full builds would have done, a lot of shopping around was done.

here is a few pics.
    (obviously shot in the local crackhouse vicinity to give it the authentic STW weeds/pointing/door/floor combos 😀 )

ceepers

Thanks for that! The pics aren’t there though. 🙁

There’s loads of raves on the net about the 26 bandit but not much info on the 27.5 so it’s really useful to hear your comparison. Sounds like it’s only got better! I’d have to go frame only and bargain hunt as much as possible, maybe x fusion forks

I’m 5’6 / 5’7 and I think that would make me a medium. Hopefully I’m gonna get a ride on a bandit in a few weeks time. Though I think it will probably be a large which isnt ideal!

mtbrog
    Free Member

Hi

I have a 27.5 Bandit, to summarise…….every time I ride it I come away shaking my head in disbelief, it is a stunning bike, just swallows the trail, mine was a frame only, then built up using pike forks and shimano xt kit.

jairaj

Bandit 26 owner here. Absolutely love it. I tried all kinds of bikes beforehand but once on the Bandit I knew it was for me.

It sounds like it should fit your bill. Its a very fun and interactive bike. From me Transition have hit the perfect balance between nimbleness and stability. It dances its way around tight turns in the local woods but also feels stable enough for me to have fun on the Cwmcarn red downhill course.

The frame only option was actually quite reasonable compared to other options. I got my frame with a BOS Vip’r shock upgrade (highly reccomended) for £1500. Which sounds a lot but was very competitive compared to other bikes I was interested at the time.

Surfsales the UK distributor have a demo fleet that can send out to dealers so ask your local shop if they can arrange a bike to be sent down to them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bandit and spectral 27.5 owners ride reports please’ is closed to new replies.