Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Avid Juicy 3's that squeel like a distressed pig
  • SimonPinson

Please help!

I have just fitted some Juicy 3’s to my On One Inbred build, front and back.

The front ones behave very well but the rear squeel so much I am getting ashamed to use it in public spaces. I have taken the pads out and sanded them but that only stopped them squeeling for 2 minutes.

Has anyone got any tips how to stop this as it’s realy doing my head in.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get rid of them. That’s what I did.

avalanche
    Free Member

What pads are you running? If I run sintered pads I fin squealind is an issue. Organics seem to quieten things down.

SimonPinson

Just got the standard ones that came with the brakes. Front pads are the same and they are little angels. Wish I could say that about the back.

Might try some new [organic] pads if this persists.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i find squeeling brakes really good for shifting walkers

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’ve had few issues with organic but my sintered squeel like crazy. I’ve had enough of my Juicy 3’s they’ve been nothing but trouble and they’re just not powerful enough for my riding.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve not had a problem running the oe avid pads.. or aftermarket organic pads and not too much squeal out of the sintered either after a ride or two..

fit pads.. loosen off the adjuster bolts.. squeeze and hold the leaver.. tighten the bolts.. bed in thouroughly and offski..
    bada bing bada boom

billyboy
    Free Member

Avid Juicy Brakes are like Halfords cheepo bikes….they are a problem time bomb waiting to go off, and whoever has to deal with it when it does go wrong can’t, because the brakes are crap………the back up from Fisher Outdoor is crap (lever repair kits unavailable for bloody months at a time)………….. AND THEY SHOULD BE BANNED FROM EXISTING

flatfish
    Free Member

Had a problem with mine squealing when i first got mine but my LBS told me to fit organic pads which work a treat.

Silent braking now.

squin
    Free Member

Blob of grease on the back of the pads when fitting. Might be an urban myth but I read it somewhere and have always done it, never had any squealing problems

monkeychild
    Free Member

See that bin outside. Take said brakes and place them in there. Then goto your computer fire up the ‘web and buy some Maguras you will feel happy again :D.
    Well that’s what I did 😀 Had Juicy 3s and 5s and they are shit!!!

SimonPinson

Hmmm, interesting. My plan of action is:

1. blob of grease on the back
    if this doesn’t work
    2. organic pads
    if this doesn’t work
    3. new brakes

Thanks for you input. Off for a chilli Sunday ride and may scare the shit out of walkers en-route! Although biking in Munich may get some angry German comments, hey ho, my German is not that good to understand them anyway.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i’ve just ordered an inbred, and i’ll be putting juicy threes on… i’ll let you know if they end up squealing!

Euro
    Free Member

Every type of brake can squeal. From fancy Shimanos to cheapo Avids/Hayes. Doesn’t mean you should bin them and buy ‘better’ ones.

I’ve had 2 sets of Juciy 3s on my mini dh. They sqeal once in a while but a simple solution* is to find a long descent, spit a little water on the offending brake disc/caliper and gently drag the brake the whole way down the hill. Works for me every time.

*make sure you have centred/aligned the pads first.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i have had 3 or 4 sets of juicy 3’s (or 3.5’s) and i have never had a problem. BUT one of my mates has them and the front is all good and the back is PUMP. the guys at fishers tried to fix it and failed!!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Ive got avid elixir 5`s running organic and i used to run sintered and they used to squeel time to time but since i had these organics they have been fine, maby try a new set of organics?

robhughes
    Free Member

maybe i,m just lucky but iv,e had 5,s on one of my bikes for 3 years and they have been faultless.bled once by the hub at gt 12 months ago and run with SS kevlar pads.
    a little blob of coper slip on the back of them and all is good.
    even the front can send me over the bars….weird….
    still can,t understand this as all the posts on here say there crap.
    maybe the supervisor built mine.lol

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I think their fantastic brakes

martymac

wot euro said ^^^.

SimonPinson

OK, result. Went out for ride in the snow, ice and bavarian mud. I guess they have bedded in and just make a contented squeek that i’m happy with.

Patience and a good thrashing is the answer I guess!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Both mine squeel with the sintered pads. I don’t mind the squeeling so much if they would just stop me. The loud squeeling attracts everyones attention to you just in time to see you crash. I had a sticky piston on the back brake which I fixed but it still won’t work properly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy 3's that squeel like a distressed pig’ is closed to new replies.