Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 616 total)
  • Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?
  • scaredypants

Do these things ever catch any speeders ? Anyone know of people actually getting done ?

They work incredibly well IME – it’s hard to get within 5mph of the notional limit as everyone pansies along really slowly. I just have a sneaky feeling that they’re probably not even active

tazzymtb

yep I got done in a set.

samuri
    Free Member

I like the people who slow down for the camera and then nail it up to the next one.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bloke on my speed awareness course got done by one. He was complaining about a lack of signs 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They should be on all roads.

scotroutes

They catch loads of folks with them. When the Forth Bridge works were going on on the M90 I think they were getting up to 100 per day. One guy got clocked three times….

Hells

One of my work colleagues did!! She’s a bit of a stupid bovine!! Managed to get done somewher where you normally can’t average half of the speed limit!!

tazzymtb

He was complaining about a lack of signs

funnily enough the set I got done in went from 50 to 40 with no gateway sign on the 40, i appealed it, got rebuffed and then they installed 40 gateway signs a couple of days later…bless ’em

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Is it the average speed across the total length of the section or between each camera?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I drop well below the limit for the first half then go over the limit for the rest, sometime syo can get someone to follow once you pass them.

wrecker
    Free Member

This chap said that he stopped seeing 50 signs so floored it. Is asked him if he saw a NSL sign, he didnt reply.
    I just pop the cruise control on at 54mph. I’ve been through average cameras at this speed most working days for over a year now.

joat

My trick is to reset my average speed on the trip computer whilst doing the limit, this works best in a 70 like the A14. Try and keep it there between cameras and you just sail past everyone.

tazzymtb

Is it the average speed across the total length of the section or between each camera?

they usually work in pairs but can be randomly set up so you don’t which one is paired with which

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

assume they’re on 🙁

scotroutes

The average speed is between the two cameras (distance/time). You do get some anomalies where there are junctions in between the cameras.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Humdy ho hum..

You know those on the South of the M25, yup those that cover from almost the M23 to the exit of the bit of road that’s not the M25 therein goes into darkest Kentish.

Well,

Well they work.

However, during rush (4) hour(s) you’d struggle to go over 15mph.
    🙄

Bit pointless really. Ave speeds in that poxy section of congestion hell even without the Ave Speed Cameras is no greater than 65mph.

Makes you wonder why the hell they bothered.

I tend to hang back under a Truck, truckers know stuff.

They work. I used to install them.

Klunk
    Free Member

they do work….

From July 15, 2004 to December 15, 2006 there were 40 people killed or seriously injured, and a total of 342 casualties, between Girton and the Spittals interchange But from July 15, 2007 to December 15, 2009 the number of people killed or seriously injured fell to 13, with 215 casualties.

the a14 between huntingdon & cambridge is so much nicer to drive on these days, the traffic flows better and a lot less hold ups.

wallop

I like the people who slow down for the camera and then nail it up to the next one.

This! Idiots.

luffy105
    Free Member

I had 6 points that proved they worked.

crispo
    Free Member

In road works sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. They are very expensive so sometimes on a job where they want to slow down the speed but not pay for them they’ll install dummy ones.

Wouldn’t risk it though unless I knew they were dummies though!

scaredypants

(did I have a post deleted for some reason or did I just forget to write it ? 😐 )

Anyhow – interesting

(I’m in the “traffic’s too heavy and they’re all too scared of the cameras to get near the limit” demographic round here)

jimification
    Free Member

I presume you allowed to stop for a bit (for a pork pie, say) and then drive really, really fast?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

One of our (ex) ‘governors’ at our prison got nabbed on the A1 a couple of years ago.

I thought my pants would never dry. 😆

chrismac

I hate them. THey are doing some work on a road near me and the first thing they have done, before doing any work, is set up the bloody speed cameras. It will be nowt short of miraculous if you can ever go fast enough to trigger them on a normal day, let alone whilst the works are going to be on.

TooTall
    Free Member

I drop well below the limit for the first half then go over the limit for the rest

So, on average, despite your erratic and pointless behaviour, your time taken to cover the distance is the same as if you had obeyed the limit.

Nice one. 😕

mrlebowski
    Free Member

They should be on all roads.

Nope.

stavromuller
    Free Member

The average speed cameras have proved one thing to me, I use the same satnav in my Vito as I use in my Voyager. When the satnav says 50, the Vito shows 54 and the Voyager shows 50 and on the back of this I always drive to the satnav indicated speed and haven’t had a ticket yet but I do overtake loads of people who must think they are doing 50 and their speedos are wrong.

takisawa2

tazzymtb – Member
    yep I got done in a set

Which bike were you on…? 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Aye, with either satnav or an Etrex, when my speedo says 53/4 I’m actually doing 50.

Mate of mine who’s a cop reckons the average cameras are a bit ‘forgiving’ anyway.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Friend got caught for doing 49 in a 40 on the M23 ones.

scotroutes

I reckon you’ll get done for anything above limit+10%.

Gary_C

‘Hide’ along side an artic as you go past one.

CountZero

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Aye, with either satnav or an Etrex, when my speedo says 53/4 I’m actually doing 50.

Well, yeah! I thought it was common knowledge that car speedos read 10% fast, so at 55 indicated you’re doing 50, etc.
    My Puma had the facility to switch the Odo to diagnostic readings, including speedo and tacho, and the digital speedo was always exactly 10% slower than the analogue dial. I always drive assuming the 10% difference.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

mrlebowski
    Nope.

Why not?

aracer
    Free Member

funnily enough the set I got done in went from 50 to 40 with no gateway sign on the 40, i appealed it, got rebuffed

You appealed by not accepting the fixed penalty and going to court? Or is there some other method of appeal I’m missing?

globalti
    Free Member

I’d like to pinch a pair of these and set therm up at each end of our street to stop the idiots who race through to beat the traffic lights up on the main road.

rebel12
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

mrlebowski
    Nope.

Why not?

Because we live in the UK (a free country), not the former USSR. Driving would turn into a dull, frustrating, monotonous and stressful chore with no one being able to develop the necessary driving skills to judge what is a safe speed for the conditions. Plus I’d never be able to have any fun on a deserted motorway or quiet country B road.

scaled
    Free Member

Have i logged on to pistonheads by mistake? Those B roads are generally hiding a couple of roadies out for a Sunday jaunt just round the corner.

You’ve only got to look at the standard of driving on the UKs roads to realise that “develop the necessary driving skills to judge what is a safe speed for the conditions.” is just code for deciding when the speed limit/other laws of the road apply to you.

weeksy

My record is 123mph through them on a motorbike 🙂 you have to love front facing cameras 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 616 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?’ is closed to new replies.