Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Atera Strada DL 3-4 tow bar carrier
  • MoreCashThanDash

So now we’ve established that “old” Octavia roof bars really don’t fit on new Octavia roof rails….. 🙄

Is this still the forums tow bar rack of choice or should I be looking at something else?

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m waiting for Decathlon to have the Thule 3 bike back in stock – add the 4th adaptor and bingo!

Markie
    Free Member

The Atera was my choice – made after checking the forum and speaking to someone at roofbox. For us, it’s been fantastic – I don’t see how it could be improved upon. That said, I have no experience of any other tow bar racks!

We run it with a combination of road, 26, 24 and 20 bikes. No problems with any mixes. Ace.

MoreCashThanDash

Markie – that’s the route I’m on. Did you buy from roofbox? Think I get a CTC discount there as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

I got mine from roofbox. Just checked invoice in email inbox, and the DL3 + the 4th carrier cost £400 in Feb-2012. Same price as today.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have one, pretty happy with it but a couple of points…

– although the arms or braces lock on to the bike frame they can be easily unbolted at the other end so it’s not as secure as it might first appear without a secondary lock of some sort.
    – the ratchets can be quite tricky to release sometimes, as in they don’t pull out very easily. Not really sure why this happens.
    – roofbox.co.uk are the importer/distributor which is probably a factor in how much they enthuse about Atera products compared to the alternatives

It’s a decent product overall though, no doubt.

gkeeffe

I have a strada. Getting four bikes on it isn’t so easy. Even three can be tough. Takes a lot of faffing to stop things rubbing esp if you have carbon goodies.

It’s great with 2 on though cos you can separate them more by using slots one and three.

And the tilt thing works brilliantly.

Markie
    Free Member

Yep, mine was from roofbox, and the CTC discount of 5%. All good.

GavinB

I’ve resorted to taking pics of good setups on my Strada, as others feelings echo mine, that getting more than two bikes on can be an issue. Every now and then, with a certain combination of bikes, it can take ages. I have a bundle of offcuts of sleeping mat/closed cell foam that are pretty much essential to stop things rubbing. The worst is when you have multiple FS bikes to get on there, but overall it’s worked really well for the 5 or so years we’ve had ours.

AlexSimon

I own a Strada and use a Thule top-of-the-range one often too.

Pros for the Strada
    Tilt mechanism allows bigger/flatter tailgates.
    Spaces the bikes slightly further apart – less interference at fork/rear dropout.
    I prefer the straps that go completely around the tubes instead of Thule clamp jaws.
    Lighter weight.
    Sits easier on the towball when you initially place it on. No need to hold the weight of the rack. If you have a hardtail – stick that on first!

Pros for the Thule
    Plastics seem better built.
    Styling is nice.
    Wheel ratchet straps appear thicker.
    Wheel holders slide in to be narrower for storage.
    Tilt mechanism is easier to maintain and gives a more reassuring click.

Draws
    Both can be tricky to get clamps through busy frames. We always get there in the end though with any bikes and either rack.

djflexure

We use one, mostly with hardtails, so threading arms through has been fine. I fit three on no problem.

Used for several years on and off with no real problems. Build quality seems good. Ability to get to the boot is great.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Atera Strada DL 3-4 tow bar carrier’ is closed to new replies.