Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Art appreciation..
  • DezB
    Free Member

On Sky Arts now, an auction for this painting –
    http://www.christies.com/features/Cy-Twombly-Leda-and-the-Swan-8309-3.aspx
    Scroll below the video to see the painting

Estimated: $35,000,000 – $55,000,000

I actually burst out laughing when they said it was a masterpiece! That was my involuntary response. What’s yours? Do you like it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

There’s more to a valuation of a piece of Art than what’s on the paper/wood…

Looks nice IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

There’s more to a valuation of a piece of art than what’s on the paper/wood…

I know that.

tails
    Free Member

Pablo Picasso – It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.

Think the guy aboces taken it a button far though.

binners

It’s like buying a classic Ferrari innit? An investment

Personally I wouldn’t give you your bus fare home for that, but whatever floats your boat.

It’s just going to sit in a dark, temperature-controlled bank vault anyway, so maybe they’re doing us all a favour 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

I hadn’t realised that the works my son was knocking out every five mins at the age of three some of which still adorn my home office wall could be classed as masterpieces ..worth hanging on to methinks ( certainly every bit as good as that crap ) 😆

pondo

I could look at that from now until, oooo, the end of time, and I’d still say “don’t get it”. I wish I did, but art and poetry just pass me by. I feel I miss out because of it. 🙁

binners

Not necessarily. I’ve studied art history extensively. As part of my degree, and just because I love it, and find it fascinating. My favourite art is abstract expressionism

That, however, is just……. erm….. what’s the technical term……

‘A bit shit’

newrobdob
    Free Member

I hadn’t realised that the works my son was knocking out every five mins at the age of three some of which still adorn my home office wall could be classed as masterpieces ..worth hanging on to methinks ( certainly every bit as good as that crap )

Yaaaaawn. You sound like a daily Mail reader.

CountZero

Certainly not to my taste, but nor are a lot of other highly regarded (and priced) artists like Bacon, on the other hand I love the works of Rothko, so go figure, as they say in some quarters.

DezB
    Free Member

Yaaaaawn. You sound like a daily Mail reader.

And you sound like someone who can’t answer a simple question. Which is worse?

I love modern art [edit]my son’s middle name is actually “Tate”! I know how art is valued and all that, I was just interested to know what people thought of this particular piece as it actually made me laugh.
    eg. ‘a bit shit’ …thanks Bin Bins 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There was an interesting piece on R4 this morning, in which someone (I forget who) posited the opinion that modern art is no longer art, in that the art of storytelling, interpretation, message etc has disappeared. It’s just a model of a balloon dog. That’s all.

Rather good point, I felt.

binners

I think that in the case of the likes of Damian Hirstt and Tracy Emin it’s an experiment in how far you can push the ‘Emporers New Clothes’ analogy to relieve idiots of the most money.

50 million quid diamond-encrusted skull anyone?

It’s proper classy, like….

And is probably a metaphor some old shit or other, that occurred to him in between lines at the Groucho

hodgynd
    Free Member

Newrobknob..
    Zzz zzz
    Are you trying to pretend that you understand the painting ..if so I would be delighted if you could talk me through it ..

DezB
    Free Member

I would be delighted if you could talk me through it ..

Apparently the spirally scribbly bit in the middle is 2 eggs. Cos that’s what is in the story of Leda & the Swan, you know 🙂

There was a Hirst on the same programme – it was fantastic. Completely made out of dead flies.

Drac

Is this where someone chirps with.

“Well you’re all talking about which is the point of art”

I really don’t see how it can be worth $35-55k sorry but it makes no sense. Maybe someone can try to explain it rather that trying to be cool and trivial?

pondo

Apologies for employing a cliche but I suspect it might be a bit “if you don’t get it, I can’t explain it to you” (especially me as I don’t get it either! 🙂 ). I mean, I’m not untouched by the arts – I love a good play, I love films, I wouldn’t be without books or music, and I saw a ballet on Friday night that moved me almost to tears. But I couldn’t explain it to you, not in any way that could move you like it does me. Maybe it’s my poor wordsmithery. 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

Drac..I’m assuming that you tidied up my post ..ta.
    Just to point out though the k following the amount you quoted for its valuation should be an m
    It actually realised $52,800,000+

DezB
    Free Member

not in any way that could move you like it does me

That’s what I found interesting about this painting – normally, if I don’t like something, I go.. hmm nah. But this one made me laugh, does that mean I don’t like it? I’m actually more interested in it for me having a (quite extreme) reaction. That’s why I started a thread really. Not so someone can be all superior cos they get it, or otherwise. It’s just that instant reaction. (To a bunch of scribble 😆 )

simondbarnes

I quite like it. I haven’t got $50,000,000 to buy it though sadly.

pondo

I think the reaction for me is related to the guide price – without the price I’d think it visually striking but I would mark it down for seemingly being unrelated to the title. I wouldn’t give $35 for it though. 🙂

Drac

It actually realised $52,800,000+

**** hell!

Yup what Pondo says.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

At that level I reckon art is more about tax avoidance than it is about what’s on the canvas.

I could look at that from now until, oooo, the end of time, and I’d still say “don’t get it”. I wish I did, but art and poetry just pass me by. I feel I miss out because of it.

If you’re still looking at or reading stuff and thinking about it then it’s far from wasted on you, you don’t necessarily need to reach a conclusion.

km79
    Free Member

Expensive art like this just a money laundering scheme anyway, isn’t it? There is a scam in there somewhere that we are all too poor to know about. Meanwhile the odd fanny here and there will chime in pretending the art is real and they get the meaning behind it etc, etc. The laugh the rich folks get from this is just a wee bonus.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

More people go into an art gallery every week than to football matches. And yet we have one of the forum’s biggest football fans (well, in that he watches a lot of it from leafy Ramsbottom on TV) positing that a piece of art is a bit shit while fapping himself silly over Paul Pogba, who cost £379m and is also “a bit shit” sometimes.

He’s such a philistine that the irony of it is lost on him.

😛

binners

It’s a fair cop guv 😉

It is a bit shit though, isn’t it Bravissimo?

mogrim

I quite like it. Don’t think it’s worth $55m though!

hodgynd
    Free Member

It’s not Mogrim..it sold for a lot less .. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

More people go into an art gallery every week than to football matches

Jeez, which one? Sounds busy.

hodgynd
    Free Member

According to government figures only three million people visited museums & art galleries in November 2017 ..a figure that is in decline ..
    I would venture to say that the Premier league attendance figures alone would top that in any given month ..

km79
    Free Member

Average premier league match attendance is 38k. Are there 78 premier league games a month?

simondbarnes

According to government figures only three million people visited museums & art galleries in November 2017 ..a figure that is in decline ..
    I would venture to say that the Premier league attendance figures alone would top that in any given month ..

According to the internet, just about 20 million people have attended footy in the top 4 leagues this season. I guess they’ve been playing for about 6 months so a bit over 3 million / month.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Are there 78 premier league games a month?

Feels like there’s hundreds.

Drac

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Feels like there’s hundreds.

[video]https://youtu.be/MusyO7J2inM[/video]

🙂

binners

Am I allowed to go to both?

pondo

If you’re still looking at or reading stuff and thinking about it then it’s far from wasted on you, you don’t necessarily need to reach a conclusion.

I like that, thank you. 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I like that, I could stare at it for ages which Is he point of art right?*

* i don’t see the value of it though.

johnx2
    Free Member

It’s worth what someone will pay. See also bitcoin thread.

(ETA John Berger in his book “the success and failure of Picasso” noted that Big P was already a very very successful artist in, I dunno decades ago I read it so let’s say the 30s. That meant a top professional type income, nice big house in a nice Parisian suburb. It was only after US financiers started looking for new places to put their money that prices went mad, so that by the 60s a few strokes of his brush were worth a house.

If I wasn’t on the phone I’d say something about the KLF trying to jump in to the art world by burning £1m. A worthy failure, which might have come off if it hadn’t looks too close to taking the piss. Which is to say, if it’s that easy, you do it.

On topic, I don’t like Cyber Twombly much, but I do like art. Especially the modern shite that makes you wonder about the point of stuff, init.)

DezB
    Free Member

johnx2 – Member
    It’s worth what someone will pay.

That wasn’t the question.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Art appreciation..’ is closed to new replies.