Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Argh!! What 180mm travel frame??
  • Mintyjim

I’ve come to the conclusion that I enjoy riding DH on a 180mm bike because invariably I ride to the top of each run and a full 8 incher is bloomin’ hard work.

Now comes the really tough bit. Which frame?

Thinking about a new Orange Patriot. I love my mates 08 one, it just feels great.

I live in Cardiff so generally ride Cwmcarn, Mtn Ash and Gethin and then an annual pilgrimage to the Alps.

Ignore budget for now.

I look forward to the opinions!

tpbiker
    Free Member

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2576

Not a massive fan of the canyons, but this one does look good…

And if you’re on a budget…..this looks pretty good as well! For the price of a specialized camber :-0

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2577

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

A mate has a Trek Scratch and he has no trouble pedaling to the top of the hill on it.

Its pretty fast on the way down too!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ads678

Patriot all the way!

But then you’ll have the same bike as your mate………

Mintyjim

cheers for the feedback, I’ve checked out the Canyon’s and the Scratch just not feeling the love. Amazing value on the Canyons though

ads678 – That could be a problem unless I whoop him everywhere then there’s nowhere to hide!!

roddi18
    Free Member

Morewood kalula pal

james
    Free Member

Maybe a bit of a wildcard, but maybe a Kona Coil Air (Supreme?), the one with the magic link. Complete bike comes with a 180-140mm Fox Talas, rear end has 200-120?mm travel, dependant on whether you’re pedalling or hitting bumps or both (and the good way round)
    Singletrack mag seemed to like it when it was 160mm forked. 2008 ish

A quick google search throws up some 2008/9 ones on CRC for £5-600, and 2010 for £800 from winstanleys? (not rly looked into them though)

scary_carey
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega will take a 180. Climbs like a much smaller bike and decends like a much bigger bike.
    If you consider one of these, factor in the price for a new shock as the RS Monarch is pap

skywalker
    Free Member

New Patriot, yum.

Nukeproof Mega will take a 180. Climbs like a much smaller bike

Not with 180 forks it wouldn’t, it would be stupidly slack.

mildred

Nicolai helius AFR or the new Patriot.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Had a muck about on a Liteville the other week. Serious bit of kit and light with it.

ska-49
    Free Member

My list would include:
    Litespeed, transition tr250 and blindside, spec. SX, trek scratch, giant faith, rocky mountain flatline, orange patriot, devince wilson, anciolotti FR bike, morewood kalula, turner RFX, helius AFR and NP Mega.

tomhoward

If budget isn’t an issue then a session 9.9, 200 odd mm travel, but only weighs 36 lbs 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Scott Genius LT is a wildcard but I’ve never seen a bad review, a mate has one and loves it.

james
    Free Member

IIRC the genious LT is not supposed to be ridden as a freeride/downhill bike?
    Cant rmember what, but seem to think I read something somewhere (was something to do with scott) to say it was really a long travel xc/am bike and not a serious hucker/jumper
    Could be wrong, and they could have updated it

My brother reckoned with a Blackspire lower roller that has an Etype mech mount on it, you could double ring a Scott Voltage FR. He has one but has keep it 34T ring so far despite taking it for a few (Short) XCish rides. He reckons the climbing traction is pants though, even seated, spits traction way too readily. He guesses its because its a freeride/slopestyle bike that wasa never meant to be climbed on

Doug
    Free Member

Nicolai ION 20 or ION 18

180 for days where you earn your descents/pedally tracks and 203mm for uplifts and the Alps.

Helius AFR if you want to run a twin ring setup.

tamedearth
    Free Member

@Mintyjim – agree with ska-49 – the Transition TR250 would be ideal! I have a medium demo bike if you are in the surrey/sussex/hants area?

It can be set from 180 to 160mm rear too and you can adjust the rear axle position short/standard/long wheelbase.

the Blindside could also work and we are about to list some in our 2011 closeout sale!
    give me a PM or check out http://www.tamedearth.com if i can help!

ant

_tom_
    Free Member

Bullit with a travel adjust fork would work. It really needs the travel adjust fork though otherwise you wheelie everywhere. Saying that it still got me up snowdon so it can’t be that bad at climbing.

steezysix
    Free Member

YT Industries Noton is worth a look, it got a great write-up in Dirt a while back. Plus, the whole bike would cost about the same as the Patriot frame, and you could sell any bits you didn’t want/need.

Mintyjim

Some great feedback, thanks to all!

Aesthetically I just love the Patriot but the Morewood sounds great too, my Izumi was brilliant.

The German stuff is fantastic VFM but I’m not keen on the Canyons and YT is bit too yoof for me…Saying that the Noton looks very tempting!

Tamedearth – appreciate the offer but you’re a bit far my lazy ass. But the TR250 is very cool, not so keen on the Blindside.

Thanks again

fuzzhead
    Free Member

i think there were some decent frame-only offers on Scott Voltage FRs on t’interwebz. Coastal Crew seem to go alright on theirs!

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve had a quick shottie on one of them top end Canyon’s and it felt very good. Chap who bought it was not expecting it to be as good as it is; he was half expecting to be stripping it for bits but has ended up using it in preference to some of his other more exotic options. For a 180mm travel bike it does pedal well… and on the dowonhalls it was certainly not causing him any problems.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

a Last Herb? Dirt mag said it was good if that counts for anything

Mintyjim

hmm, this is harder than I thought.

I can get a brand new Scott Voltage FR20 for £1650, chop the forks in for my Totem’s and bosh, it’s a cracker!

What does the massif reckon?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They look good, but if you’re tall they may not suit you

creamegg
    Free Member

based on nothing other than i like it i’d get one of these…

Mintyjim

I’m only 5’8″ so I should be fine on the Voltage.

Creamegg – that is bloody lovely!

woody2000
    bluechair84
    Free Member

Can’t tell me my Canyon Torque isn’t one stonkingly sexy bike!?
    170mm front and rear, but the newer frames are 180. This comes in at 34lbs and I actually really like riding it just around the trails. Pedals and climbs just like a 34lb trail bike. Enjoys a real smacking when the going gets naughty though.

Blower
    Free Member

i have a new patriot which is Sh1t hot! 😛

but on the list would be for certain a CubeHanzz,trek Scratch or a Canyon as they spec really well loadsa choice and look the part..

chakaping
    Free Member

Check out Bikeactive for some good deals on the Morewood Kalula, complete bike or frame and BOS fork for not much more than the price of some frames.

xiphon
    Free Member

Patriot 2012 + Fox 40s + front mech…

creamegg
    Free Member

@xiphon. thats bloody nice.

messiah
    Free Member

Not much I would change on this…

Not mine by the way 🙁

andyplasterer
    Free Member

no what you need is a lapierre froggy 180mm rear and 180 front ive got one for sale £1600

float
    Free Member

I can get a brand new Scott Voltage FR20 for £1650, chop the forks in for my Totem’s and bosh, it’s a cracker!

pinkbikes review

chocobike
    Free Member

my ride is pedaling up at least 1.5 hour seeking the singletrack entrance w/ nice downhill sessions and this is what I use most file:///F:/bikes%20and%20stuff/quiver/ASR%207/Imagem%20058.jpg

chocobike
    Free Member

don’t know how to attacht picture here

the bike is a yeti asr-7 w/ a fox talas 180 up front & ccdb air rear shock

use a dropper post, tune the suspension with no impatience, choose the right tires and you are ready to follow your fellows while pedaling and eat them on any downhill section

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Argh!! What 180mm travel frame??’ is closed to new replies.