Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Argh, new standards
  • bensales
    Free Member

When the hell did 15mm by 110mm appear?

Bought a lovely new Seasucker rack for the car, and though I’d dual purpose it by buying the QR version of the rack to take the road bikes, and a Fork Up 15mm adaptor to suit my Epic.

But it turns out the RS-1 is 15mm by 110mm (or Boost) rather than the 15mm by 100m that everyone else including Hurricane and their Fork Up adaptor uses. Seems Hurricane do now make a 15mm by 110mm Fork Up but no way of getting on in the UK. And Specialized helpfully just list the spec as ’15mm Maxle’.

So I’m now sorting out a 20mm by 110m Fork Up and hammering a 20mm OD x 15mm ID steel tube into it.

<mutter>standardsaren’twhattheywereinmyday</mutter>

STATO
    Free Member

Oh no <generic component> doesn’t fit my <expensive bike I must mention by name rather than just say ‘bike’>. Unlucky, im sure youll find something to fit it to your <Audi>.

😉

bensales
    Free Member

Do sod off, there’s a good chap. I have a Mercedes, not an Audi.

More frustrated there absolutely nowhere in the specs for any of the components does it mention the hub is 110mm wide. Oh, and I use the names deliberately, so they show up in searches.

STATO
    Free Member

Ha, I was so going to say Merc but went for the STW favourite for a laugh. Predictive steering front hub only on the RS1 isn’t it, 110mm.

scotroutes

Get with it, grandad.

mick_r

If you’d found this with a regular looking fork then I could understand.

But the RS1 is an obviously unique fork and every review I’ve ever read mentions it has a special front hub – surely that would make you check if it was compatible? Would you make the same complaint about a Cannondale Lefty?

bensales
    Free Member

I did check. I read both Specialized and SRAM’s websites for the fork and the bike, as I didn’t have the bike handy at time of ordering. Everything just says 15mm Maxle, so I assumed it’d be 100 like everything else. They don’t call the hub a Boost hub.

In fact, even on the hub page, it doesn’t say 110mm…

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-predictive-steering-hub

bensales
    Free Member

All sorted.

‘Standard’ Fork-up, which is 110m for 20mm thru axle, plus some 15mm ID/20mm OD pipe from eBay thread-locked inside it…

And on a side-note, the rack is awesome. Really easy to get on and off, very stable and quiet. Suspect I’ll leave my front wheel at home for at least one race.

adsh
    Free Member

How are you finding your Epic? I remember your thread.

Just bought a non WC S works frame and forks (2014 so SID) myself – Skoda in my case 😀 and no way would I dare stick it on top!

bensales
    Free Member

It’s awesome. Absolutely the best bike I’ve ever ridden. Fits me perfectly, and rides exactly how I expect a bike to ride. Love it. And it’s stupidly fast.

It’s on the roof, because Mercedes design their life-style estates so getting a bike in the boot is a pain in the arse. I should have had an E-class, or better yet, an XF Sportbrake.

Gratuitous shots…

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I like that mercy merc, lovely colour- ouuuzzzes a man comfortable with his sexuality.

themilo
    Free Member

If I had that bike there’s no way I’d be entrusting it to what appear to be “some suckers”. Brave.

bensales
    Free Member

preciousmetals – Member
    I like that mercy merc, lovely colour- ouuuzzzes a man comfortable with his sexuality.

Have you seen Mercedes colour brochure? Fifty shades of grey, plus that red and a blue. Had a blue car before, then a black one, so red it was.

Gratuitous Mercedes shot…

bensales
    Free Member

themilo – Member
    If I had that bike there’s no way I’d be entrusting it to what appear to be “some suckers”. Brave.

A test drive has proven it more stable than the previous Thule setup. Plus, what else is insurance for! 🙂

I also attached one to a window of the house, and hung off it. I’m 210lbs and it didn’t budge. They’re pretty strong.

br
    Free Member

Classy that, tarmacked front garden 😉

bensales
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Classy that, tarmacked front garden

Don’t you like my bush?

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Um. bensales. Are you ukrm bensales… ?

bensales
    Free Member

mrmoosehead – Member
    Um. bensales. Are you ukrm bensales… ?

Guilty. Hello Mr H.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

That is sooooo lovely – do you have the optional stunning blonde with lipstick to match that swings her leg just out of snap cat shot?

Envy…. Just if you couldn’t tell. My neighbour’s have the grey one which must be supercharged as followed or tried to down a country lane which he luterally went from 0-50 in a split sec or two.

Mercs just look great even when they’re 20yrs + old never age.
    Noice buy sir! 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Londers…..50 grand merc….5 grand bike….still living in a Semi with a tarmacked front drive.

Plebs!

😈

Once I’ve made my money I’m off back up north and buying a manor house with a **** off great big gravelled drive and a shotgun to keep roving londoners out.

Northwind

Is it just me that’d want to fix this problem with a set of Sids?

smatkins1
    Free Member

Gratuitous Mercedes shot…

Car tyre branding not lined up with valves, -10 Merc Points.

bensales
    Free Member

preciousmetals – Member
    That is sooooo lovely – do you have the optional stunning blonde with lipstick to match that swings her leg just out of snap cat shot?

I wish.

Envy…. Just if you couldn’t tell. My neighbour’s have the grey one which must be supercharged as followed or tried to down a country lane which he luterally went from 0-50 in a split sec or two.

Mine is a sheep in wolfs clothing. 2l oil burner. Not slow but certainly not quick either.

bensales
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Londers…..50 grand merc….5 grand bike….still living in a Semi with a tarmacked front drive.

Don’t live anywhere near London, thank you very much. (Just work there a couple of days a week)

bensales
    Free Member

Northwind Member
    Is it just me that’d want to fix this problem with a set of Sids?

Is that the XC version of “Owning with Bombers”? Or change the fork?

The latter has crossed my mind, but the fork rides really nicely.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

*waves*

He is the blonde. Sorry, was. 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

Tarmac front garden, flashy Merc, white house, works a ‘couple of days a week’………. round certain parts of North Wales that spells one thing 😆

bensales
    Free Member

mrmoosehead – Member

He is the blonde. Sorry, was.

You misspelt ‘bald’.

bensales
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    Tarmac front garden, flashy Merc, white house, works a ‘couple of days a week’………. round certain parts of North Wales that spells one thing

What, IT consultant?

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

What, IT consultant?

Nah, we all know you’re a high end rent boy. }:8)

steve_b77
    Free Member

bensales – Member

What, IT consultant

Do ya like daags?

wwaswas

Don’t let the kids play with the sun roof buttons whilst the bike’s attached 🙂

simon_g

I’d trust the suckers (but then I’m watching people crane hundreds of kilos of glass around with a bigger version), what I’m struggling with is why you would on an estate with roof rails.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

They don’t look like proper rails. Probably require you to buy stupidly expensive merc roofrack.

bensales
    Free Member

They are proper rails, and I had Thule aero bars and a 591 on it, but didn’t like how the bike wobbled from side to side on that, plus the noise and general ugliness of having bars and rack on all the time. I only carry a bike at most once a month, but I drive a lot.

The next car is going to be a saloon, and racks look even worse on those, so a bit of future proofing too as well as being able to carry a bike on my wife’s car.

Expect to see a pair of 591s on the classifieds soon.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What you wanted was a Thule 565, takes every axle standard under the sun, even these new fangled boost thingies

ferrals
    Free Member

That epic looks lovely.

molgrips
    Free Member

No-one else worried about the load on those dropouts? Not heard the scare stories and warnings from manufacturers about not using those bolt through bike racks?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not considering when you’re riding and bouncing your way round the trails you’ll be placing some fair old loads on them.

A few makers of carbon frames advise that you use a fork mounted rack as opposed to a down tube one

officerfriendly
    Free Member

“next car” 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Argh, new standards’ is closed to new replies.