Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Are you a serp rider? morzine content.
  • pussywillow
    Free Member

Amazed me to see all the so called down hillers in morzine queuing up with there storm trooper outfits and neck braces only to be riding down the feminine groomed trails, one was called serpentine I think? Is this really what people think is gnarly dude? 😆 super stoked they were saying at the bottom! I’ve never laughed so much in my life! Instead we did some of the secret techie lines which showed you needed a lot more skill than riding down a smooth track full of been baby berms and a jay gump! hahahaha… Strange at how they seemed to look at us with our half lids thinking they’d better get down the track before we get in there ways! Hahaha how wrong they were. So are you a serp rider? And are you disillusioned by the industry telling us that
    these kinds tracks are classed as downhill? Champery was a good downhill yet there was no one on it! Well, no one riding it should I say! as we over took all the troopers on there arses! 😆

cheez0
    Free Member

you are teh awsumZ

MussEd
    Free Member

You are awesome.

flap_jack
    Free Member

could this be the Mutzig talking ?

I_Ache
    Free Member

It is because you are a riding god.

RealMan
    Free Member

..and what?

superfli
    Free Member

How did you do on the Champery WC DH track? Tough isnt it! So so steep. Would not like to race it! Did you do the final part after you get to the road? Theres a really nasty drop into the woods there. Must admit, I didnt make that – was end of day though 🙂

althepal

Is that two steering dampers on that Scott?

richmtbguru
    Free Member

I used to take some of my clients down the serpentine, let me tell you, it’s a great way for them to improve their skills, as using the berms to pump and increase your speed without the need for pedaling, I always ensure they wear full protective gear not only for the main reason of safety but also for one that is is very much over looked, ‘confidence’ this is the main key to building skills on the bike, and when your armoured up you feel confident…

tomhoward

I see the school holidays have started.

Obvious troll is etc these posts really are getting dull op.

allthepies
    Free Member

SWOONS

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i bet he posted mid air….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You lot bite too easy

godzilla
    Free Member

You rode everything in Chatel?
    What bike are you on?

So I can avoid you.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

RealMan – where’d you get the pic of me on my communter?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

This will probably be me next year :$

Hopefully only for a while though!

ahwiles
    Free Member

but, c’mon, serpentine is ace fun.

andytherocketeer

Did it on XC hardtails. Only 100mm up front too. Both Panoramique and Serpentine were fun.

zero-cool
    Free Member

It does piss me off why some people rag down Blue and Greens without any regard for small children, less experienced/confident yet when I potter down a Red/black they’re pretty empty. Suits me but the wife gets pissed off so much that she tends to chase them down and undertake them on corners if they’ve been rude.
    Nothing as satisfying as watching a small woman on a AM bike showing up the ‘big boys’.

kudos100
    Free Member

Serpentine is quality. Great warm up track.

OP is GW and I claim my five pounds.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Hmm- I tend to find my crashes are bigger and more painful on smoother bermy runs compared to super steep, gnarly natural ones. Reason for this is the speeds you can achieve are so much greater.

I like to ride on the edge whatever Im riding so crashes are inevitable (especially since my surname isn’t Atherton) whether im doing 8mph down super techy rock garden or 20+ mph down dusty man made berms – but you’re more likely to find me wearing a full face lid on the “easier” runs than the more technical ones.

On the topic of full face helmets…..
    The only time iv ever been thankful of a chin guard was doing the blue run at Alpe d’Huez. The track is smooth and bermy so I was nailing it but lost it on a dusty berm – crash happened so quick my face was in the dirt before I even realized I was off the bike. Conversely crashing on gnarly technical stuff I find I always have time to put my hands up to protect my face – so don’t bother with full face and often ride without pads at all.

Northwind

I can’t decide who’s more awesome, Pussywillow or Surfmat. Pls advise.

maxtorque

I think it’s also worth noting that these Stormtroopers may actually in fact ride other stuff as well as the Serp?

richmtbguru
    Free Member

ndthornton – Member
    Hmm- I tend to find my crashes are bigger and more painful on smoother bermy runs compared to super steep, gnarly natural ones. Reason for this is the speeds you can achieve are so much greater.

I like to ride on the edge whatever Im riding so crashes are inevitable (especially since my surname isn’t Atherton) whether im doing 8mph down super techy rock garden or 20+ mph down dusty man made berms – but you’re more likely to find me wearing a full face lid on the “easier” runs than the more technical ones.

On the topic of full face helmets…..
    The only time iv ever been thankful of a chin guard was doing the blue run at Alpe d’Huez. The track is smooth and bermy so I was nailing it but lost it on a dusty berm – crash happened so quick my face was in the dirt before I even realized I was off the bike. Conversely crashing on gnarly technical stuff I find I always have time to put my hands up to protect my face – so don’t bother with full face and often ride without pads at all.

Hmmm, perhaps your not riding the berms properly, also, if you have time to put your hands on your face when you fall off down steep technical terrain then I really don’t think your going fast enough, many of my clients tell me I ride too fast over technical ground but in actual fact this will help you ‘skim’ over things much easier.
    I’m thinking about doing some skills coaching soon, keep an eye out for my up coming thread where I’ll give Singletrackers the chance to ride with me, thinking maybe a peaks pootle get together.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Serpentine is a nice run no matter what your skill level but you do have to respect the mixture of abilities you’ll find on that sort of trail. It’s not the kind of trail most people would do lots of laps of as It’s quite long and the lift queues can be epic.

The way Chatel bike park is laid out gives you a lot of options for the second half of the hill, but a lot of the reds (and all of the blacks) on the top section of the park are quite challenging – if you’re not on your game or you just want to preserve your arms/brakes/tyres it’s not a bad idea to “poach” one of the easier trails, but respect it for what it is.

“Stormtrooper” is just a outfit – not a mindset. It’s the kids in wife-beaters and neck braces you need to watch.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I can’t decide who’s more awesome, Pussywillow or Surfmat. Pls advise.

Definitely Pussywillow. I quite liked SurfMatt he did come across a bit full of himself but then so do most all big hitters.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I use a simple theory.
    If someone posts on stw, they can’t ride for toffee.
    And yes, me too. 😀
    +1 for the pic if pussywillow. I’m out there next week and i’d like to be able to recognise pussywillow.
    So i can avoid being knocked off by his awesumness…

zero-cool
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with people in armour and on big bikes riding the easier trails. It’s more about the ones that are blasting down overtaking less experienced/confident people without any common decency. And don’t get me started on the people who seem to wait around for ages at the start of a section and then decide to go just after the slower group starts so they can overtake them and feel all manly.
    If I’m out with a less experienced group I’ll often ride at the back as I’m not as easy to pass (due to size, elbows and sheer commitment to line, etc) just so they get to ride a trail in peace and progress without interference.

I’ve know of at least one person who gave up mountain biking and her main reason was it ‘was full of macho bullshit boys acting like t##ts’.

boltonjon

The funniest people are the french dudes on major DH rigs, with loads of body armour and lycra shorts

The way i look at it is as long as everyone is having fun, who cares what people are riding, skill levels or excessive body armour

However, i always have a wry smile when i pass someone who is fully tooled up, yet mincing down the trail

Moreover, since playing on some of the black runs in Chatel last month in the wet – i have total respect for the boys on their big rigs with their utter commitment on some utterly insane trails 🙂

legend
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNqjCAy6Sg[/video]

pussywillow
    Free Member

superfli – Member
    How did you do on the Champery WC DH track? Tough isnt it! So so steep. Would not like to race it! Did you do the final part after you get to the road? Theres a really nasty drop into the woods there. Must admit, I didnt make that – was end of day though

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah was good man! Made it a bit harder cos it was pissing it down, certainly not the hardest thing I’ve rode down but was fun passing all the serps who had pushed in front of me at the top cos they were disillusioned cos I didn’t have the neck brace or full face on, 😆

DT78
    Free Member

One of my best memories of morzine is racing mates down serpentine for a whole afternoon, skidding to cut inside on a berm only to get overtaken next corner. Proper fun. It’s not all about gnar and speed.

And on the storm trooper thing, I suppose it depends on how many accidents and broken bones you’ve had. I don’t want any more thank you

tmb467
    Free Member
    JCL
    Free Member

Pics or STFU.

superfli
    Free Member

Yeah was good man! Made it a bit harder cos it was pissing it down, certainly not the hardest thing I’ve rode down but was fun passing all the serps who had pushed in front of me at the top cos they were disillusioned cos I didn’t have the neck brace or full face on,

Think it was the toughest trail I’ve ever ridden, I fell off twice (same places as where Rob W said “wheres the fkg line?”!). We didnt see anyone on it as its a bit tucked away – especially the last section over the road, which the locals try to convince you isnt there.

ndthornton
    Free Member

if you have time to put your hands on your face when you fall off down steep technical terrain then I really don’t think your going fast enough

Perhaps you’re not going technical enough 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Wouldn’t I be right in saying serpentine is the only route down to that double black with all the drops to berms who’s name I forget..

nickjb
    Free Member

Not sure which Black you mean, but there are 4 or 5 blacks running from the top of the Serpentine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

been a while but just had to google the Serp… is that all he is going on about ffs….

jamj1974

I am not bothered by what people are wearing or riding and whatever I hope they are having a really good time. However there is some truth in what the OP is saying. Having returned recently from Morzine, there are a lot of people riding blue and green runs with on full on DH bikes and full armour etc… Many of them were riding very slowly – in fact much more slowly than people ride at more technical UK downhill routes. In the UK I am pretty damn slow on a proper DH course on my all mountain bike – I doubt I would be much faster on a DH bike either. In Morzine I was overtaking some of these guys and that definitely doesn’t happen at home! Let me re-emphasise, this was the case and I am as far from a DH god as it gets!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Are you a serp rider? morzine content.’ is closed to new replies.