Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Are there cool 125cc motorbikes?
  • hels
    Free Member

It's a 125 it's not meant to look cool ! Any attempts to make it so e.g. adding fairing will just look ridiculous and weigh you down.

Somebody at my work (names have been changed etc) has a 125cc Harley Davidson rip-off thinga Jiminju or something ? I burst into open and unashamed laughter every time I see this thing, its pure dripping chrome and bobbly things and excess tubing, odd pipes etc ? Why ?? Why ??

I see a 125 Honda Repsol replica around town too, again, Why ??

Being a Hobbit I was quite restricted on what I could buy and went for a Yamaha YBR 125, it has a low seat height and just looks like a motorbike, nothing more. And it came in a nice plain blue color.

I would say though, buy second-hand if you can, breaking in the engine on a 125 is not fun. There are loads about.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i had one of these too 😉

hels , some of the replicas are replicas of 125 race bikes – acceptable at age 17 😉 125 racing looks fun if you weigh as much as a rizla

Vortexracing

this is 'cool'

hels
    Free Member

I want to get photographed next to Rossi one day, to make me look tall.

Amos
    Free Member

So lambrettas and vespa are as cool as 125s get then! Oh and that TL125 is pretty cool however , sorry shouldn't say cool let's say easy on the eye!

Filthy
    Free Member

I've got one of these… don't know about cool, it's different that's for sue and certainly gets some looks.

Hyosung Karion

IainGillam
    Free Member

alwyn – Member
    Pigface – I have a Husky 125, it's quicker than my mates 250 4 stroke.
    As quick at the KTM, and it pisses over all the Jap bikes.

Really? Quicker than a 250 4 stroke and pisses all over the jap bikes? Well the with the MX bikes the 2010 husky TC250 4 stroke produced the least power of the 2010 250f's after all of the big 5 with an output of 34.26 BHP stock, KTM is the quickest with around 40 (Rumor has it the Pro-circuit race bikes in the US are approaching 50hp) which is roughly the same peak hp as the 2 stroke 150sx which has a fair few more HP than the class leading KTM sx125. Meaning that the husky 125 is quite down on power copaired to the KTM 250 and the Jap 4 strokes. So I would have thought you would have been doing well to be quicker than a 250 4T unless they have done something incredable with the WR125 to make it a whole heap faster than the cr125.

But the wr125 is indeed a very cool 125.

Iain

konabunny
    Free Member

Apparently he is only four times as tall as the average bike helmet.

Amos
    Free Member

Think he's short, I met Ricky carmicheal and he is tiny! he's also ginger (as am I) but not quite what expected from sick and gnarly MX DOOOOOODE!

IainGillam
    Free Member

Amos – Member
    Think he's short, I met Ricky carmicheal and he is tiny! he's also ginger (as am I) but not quite what expected from sick and gnarly MX DOOOOOODE!

WOW! I went to the MXDN at Matterley basin 06 hoping RC would be riding but he got injured and Tedesco took his place. Apparently he was in attendance but I didn't catch him on my wander round the paddock. Seeing Everts pass Stewart and ride 99.9% of the track stood up more than made my weekend though!

Iain

U31
    Free Member

I got 75 out a Varadero XL125 back when i was still 15 stone, granted..

By god that feels like a lifetime ago

U31
    Free Member

Has no one mentioned a TOMOS? 😉

alwyn
    Free Member

Meaning that the husky 125 is quite down on power copaired to the KTM 250 and the Jap 4 strokes. So I would have thought you would have been doing well to be quicker than a 250 4T unless they have done something incredable with the WR125 to make it a whole heap faster than the cr125.

My mates bikes isn't a KTM 250,the KTM 250 is a lot faster and one fun bike, his bike is slightly older Suzuki. It probably isn't as quick as the CR as the CR is an out and out crosser not an enduro bike, but it will certainly thrash a Yamaha DT or and Honda XR. It is ridden on a full licence and has a racing exhaust and plugs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the husky is not a bike for a leaner then.

IainGillam
    Free Member

alwyn – Member
    My mates bikes isn't a KTM 250,the KTM 250 is a lot faster and one fun bike, his bike is slightly older Suzuki. It probably isn't as quick as the CR as the CR is an out and out crosser not an enduro bike, but it will certainly thrash a Yamaha DT or and Honda XR. It is ridden on a full licence and has a racing exhaust and plugs.

Ah right I jumped the gun a bit then. I thought you were suggesting that the wr125 was as quick as enduro 4 strokes such as the exc250, wr250f and even huskys own TE250 which would have comparable peak HP to the Mx bikes, as oppose to the trail bikes such as the DT or XR.

Iain

Xylene
    Free Member

Used to have a Varadero 1000 – could ride it all day and not feel tired, but it was crap at corners.

Edric64
    Free Member

Rossi is quite tall for a bike rider though about 5ft 10 I believe,against Dani Pedrosa though embryo's look tall

Zedsdead
    Free Member

yeah, he is quite tall for a GP rider.

Back in the day the Cagiva 125 was hitting 120mph !!! There were reports of people squeezing 125mph out of them! That was the learner bike to have back then, looked lovely too…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

125s are tiny and even the seat height is naff as is the power.

But I wouldn't mind one of these:

Made for taller riders, useful power in the city, good brakes and handling. 4 stroke too.

Stupid Yamaha dropped the white colour but can see it might be a pain to clean in winter!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Or ride the CG for experience and buy a bigger bike after a year or two

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I rode a CG125 for a while. Surprisingly fun trying to squeeze 65 out of it whilst in a tuck down hill and with the wind behind me.

Hairychested
    Free Member

You want a 100cc.
    Either:

or:

Nowt beats a 2-stroke down Picadilly 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – 100cc is often much cheaper to insure.

Have a serious look at scooters as well – they are great and some are suprisingly cool – like the one linked to above and this

Italjet dragster. space frame chassis, hub centre steering, as fast as any 125

Amos
    Free Member

I'm glad someone confirmed Rossi isn't a complete midget! Also met him a few years back and didn't think he was THAT short 5 ' 10 puts him about my height which I realise ain't tall but average height no? Or are most gp riders over 6' 5"? Just wondering!

Are italjets still about? Remember lusting after one of those 15 odd years ago!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Anyone remember the Cagiva Mito when it came out? looked like the Ducati big monster but a 125 lol

I know someone who uses their Honda cub 90cc drum brakes but bigger tyres fitted lol fuel economy is amazing on that!

hora
    Free Member

Just remember the cooler it looks the quicker it'll disapear after you've gone to bed.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

lock it up hora.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Definitely go down the trailie route. I had a couple of 125's when I was a teenager – a pre-restriction twin-cylinder CB125TB which was reasonably quick and quite comfy etc., and a noisy AR125LC with a Micron.

I'm actually tempted to pick up a CBF125 for in-town commuting (the missus or me) and to carry in our motorhome.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

125 trailie?

Pffft, do your DAC and get a 450 4 stroke. You'll never have to change gear again…

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!

amplebrew

My missus rides a Honda CBF125.

Not as sporty as the Aprilia's, CBR's and YZf's….

But we got it for £1850 brand new with 2 years warranty from a Honda dealer.

Really nice bike for the money.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

How tall is your missus roughly Amplebrew? eg does the bike have a low seat height unless she is tall etc.

My old man is after a similar bike/price but he's 5ft10

amplebrew

Frankenstein – Member
    How tall is your missus roughly Amplebrew? eg does the bike have a low seat height unless she is tall etc.

My old man is after a similar bike/price but he's 5ft10

Karen is 5ft 7, and fit's on it without being cramped. It feels alot more roomy that then sportier 125's.

I've ridden it a few times and apart from the Varadero 125, it's probably one of the bigger bikes you can buy.

amplebrew

I think the list on them now is £2320. It was slightly less when we got ours, I think it was around £2150 ish.

We paid £1850 from our local dealer, who we've had a few bikes from.

For the money, it certainly looks and feels a quality bike.

We started off looking at used bikes for around £1000, and everyone seemed to have led a hard life or needed money spending on it.

We decided it was worth paying the extra and getting a new bike with warranty, that we knew hadn't been dropped or redlined 24/7.

amaan
    Free Member

I had a TZR 125 RR when I was learning, which was fun 😀

like this one

http://www.rock.sannet.ne.jp/tani/fan/tzr125rr.html

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cheers Amplebrew 😀

The old man struggle on 250cc KMX back in the day as it was too high for him at 5ft 10, I was fine just(6ft2) but will take him round to dealer as you're right its not worth buying 2nd hand when £500 gets him a new one.

Will make a change from his C90!

juan
    Free Member

Varadero?

Well that's probably the most uncool bike ever… The yam WR125X will get my vote. But as other have said, get a full bike licence and get a CB500. Probably as cheap to buy and run…

amplebrew

8)

Frankenstein – Member
    Cheers Amplebrew

The old man struggle on 250cc KMX back in the day as it was too high for him at 5ft 10, I was fine just(6ft2) but will take him round to dealer as you're right its not worth buying 2nd hand when £500 gets him a new one.

Will make a change from his C90!

Your Dad will be fine on the CBF125, my missus rides it fine at 5ft 7 and can touch the floor with no problems.

Although it's not that far off the height of a 500 or 600cc road bike to be honest; meaning that it's not as much as a difference when upgrading to a bigger bike.

It'll do 70mph and you hardly ever need to fill it up 8)

I tend to use it for pottering around on myself, leaving my SP1 at home.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Are there cool 125cc motorbikes?’ is closed to new replies.