Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Are Shimano road and MTB cassettes/Hubs intercompatible?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

By that i mean if you wanted to could you put a nine speed MTB cassette ontoa road hub?

Does anybody know?

Thanks
    Tim

crazy-legs

Yes so long as it’s an 8/9 speed hub (10speed freehub will need a spacer). Check as well that the bigger cassette doesn’t catch on the spokes.

GW
    Free Member

a bigger cassette catching on spokes?

😕

the answer to your question is yes! 7,8 & 9 speed road/mtb cassettes are fully interchangable

zaskar
    Free Member

Can I ask why you’re putting a mtb cassette on a road hub/bike?

Just curious what you’re building.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

All very compatible

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Can I ask why you’re putting a mtb cassette on a road hub/bike?

maybe its a crosser?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Why not put an MTB cassette on a road bike? I have in the past

steve_b77
    Free Member

Or even the other way round

onandon
    Free Member

yep , I run Dura Ace on my mtb 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

Tired legs and steep hills is why i’m thinking of putting an MTB cassette onto a road hub.

Thanks all,

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to decide between a Shimano hub or a NOS Campag hub for my new back wheel,which is why i was asking,to vaugely match my old Record front hub,which i’ve inherited. Being able to only fit MTB cassettes onto Shimano rear hubs has probably decided me on going for a Shimano rear hub. Unless i can come across a freehub made by some third party who makes hubs for campag users who use Shimano cassettes.

Would be nice to have matching campag if i could do,i like the way they made thier silver shiny hubs before they discontinued them.

njee20
    Free Member

The only 10 speed specific hubs are Dura Ace 7800 and Ultegra 6600, they have deeper splines, so won’t fit a 9 speed block. Absolutely anything else will be fine!

Mister-P
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    Yes so long as it’s an 8/9 speed hub (10speed freehub will need a spacer).

A ten speed body is shorter than a nine so a nine won’t go on. If you put a 10 speed cassette onto a 9 body then you use a 1mm spacer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Are Shimano road and MTB cassettes/Hubs intercompatible?’ is closed to new replies.