Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • are greetings cards a wimminly thing?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

I don’t know a single bloke who bothers with greetings cards, christmas, birthdays, you name it… i don’t know any men who are bothered by them enough to bother considering them as something that needs to be done. Wimminz on the other hand seem to love em. Any cards I receive get put on display by mrsconsequence and I try and sneak them into the nearest bin at the first opportunity.

Most wimminz I know have a small supply of cards hidden somewhere just in case they’ve committed the earth shattering sin of forgetting to get one for some person they probably don’t like anyway’s cat’s birthday.

Are you a card person or are you not bothered? Yes I know this is a pretty sexist assumption to make, but experience leads me to believe I’m in danger of making a semi-accurate observation on a difference between the sexes that doesnt suggest one is better than the other. I firmy beleive the financial savings from the no-card side is just as possitive as the increase in good will and sentiments from the card loving side 🙂

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I send cards and the last time I checked I was a bloke!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I write all ours because I have nice wimminly handwriting.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Post reported for misojymisticism. 😐

joao3v16
    Free Member

I give people a card if I know they’re the sort of person who likes receiving cards (i.e. my Mum).

My Brazilian wife on the other hand doesn’t understand the British obsession with cards. At least, ‘obsession’ is how it appears to her.

She and I both prefer to spend a couple of extra quid on a gift rather than a card.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i hate ’em.

EDIT. and why are birthday cards for ‘mum’ or ‘dad’ sometimes oddly romantic. weird.

wors

I don’t get em at all, my mum goes mad at my brother who lives in New Zealand and doesn’t bother to send cards. Bonkers.

The wife on the other hand sends them to everyone.

althepal

The missus is all over it, even has a personal stash. Closest I’ve come to that is when I accidentally bought two mothers day cards a coupla years ago so had one for the year after..

iDave
    Free Member

Don’t send them, never have. mleh. I find them baffling.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

and why are birthday cards for ‘mum’ or ‘dad’ sometimes oddly romantic. weird.

You’ve only shopped in greeting card shops in Norfolk? 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

i wonder if the oddly romantic vomit inducing passages in cards put men off? if they made a card that said ” you’re my step dad and you’re alright so yeah, happy birthday, have a good one” then i might buy it, but “to a wonderful dad, i love you so much my groin swells like the ocean when i think of your fatherly advice” doesnt seem appropriate!

passtherizla
    Free Member

My good lady buys me some to hand out at work… I generally write them when I have been given one. If I don’t get any then they don’t get used.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i send them to my family on their birthday. but mrs 1111 makes her own and has a box of blank card ready to go just in case.

if im giving some one cash as a present then i will send a card but will take a £5 off for P+P

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I loathe buying cards. I think they’re by and large a complete waste of money. I hate the rubbish messages contained within. I hate standing in the shop picking a shitty card, with a pissy message… if you get a card from me, you know I must like you.

IHN

It’s a wimminz thing, like wot da man sed

philconsequence
    Free Member

*awaits christmas card from yeti once he reads his facebook messages tonight*

Torminalis
    Free Member

I try and sneak them into the nearest bin at the first opportunity.

+1.

“But darling, it’s boxing day, the name of the day TELLS YOU TO DECLUTTER ALL THE CHRISTMASSY RUBBISH!”

Oh I am so going to love Christmas this year. No tree. No cards. No problem.

philconsequence
    Free Member

a birthday is one day, not the day and 3 weeks afterwards. cards go in the bin…. unless you spend hours cutting out all the best boobs from front. nuts and zoo magazine to create the ultimate boob based card like mrsconsequence did for our friend jo. he still has it on his windowsill 3 years later 😀

luckily it seems mrsconsequence and I have the same taste in boobs so there were no disagreements on which deserved to be on the card!

Duggan

I don’t bother apart from sending to my mum because it upsets her if she doesn’t get one.

Definitely not anyone else though, I do feel a bit guilty sometimes if I get loads of cards off people and I haven’t returned the favour to anyone but its nothing personal, I just don’t really do it. At least I’m consistent I suppose.

You would think this kind of thing would die out now everyone’s in touch with everyone pretty much 24/7 on Facebook etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My old ma loves greting cards with soppy writing in them, brings a tear to her eye when she reads them. I have no idea what they have written in them as I open a card with appropriate number of words contained withing and buy – I don’t read the shite contained withion.

5thElefant
    Free Member

My mrs is obsessed with cards. I bought her a xmas card for our first xmas. A massive 3′ monstrosity. She has to get it out every year as I’m not buying her another one.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Uh-oh … I really like giving and receiving cards, especially when there’s been some thought behind it. Prefer small, handmade ones, or if not enough time to make them, then at least chosen with that person in mind. But mostly like them as it provides an opportunity to write something loving to someone you care about …

B*gger – I’m in danger of displaying wimminly behaviour 😳

Bunnyhop

Yes.

emsz
    Free Member

Same as Sue, luv sending making them, getting them

kayak23

Make them, those in the circle of trust are the only recipients. I am a male person.

kayak23

Make them, those in the circle of trust are the only recipients. I am a male person.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mrsconsequence has an entire drawer dedicated to card making materials, not a small draw, one of the massive under the bed drawers!

nickf
    Free Member

So the conclusion is, yep, more of a girly thing than not. Personally I think it’s proof positive that all women are at least partially crazy, apart from my wife.

Then again, I make candles. Hardly the most macho-bloke thing to do, and I’m aware that any stones I lob are being accompanied by the sound of tinkling glass

DezB
    Free Member

DebZ loves sending them. I, on the other hand… can. not. be. arsed.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the question had no macho overtones for me personally, personally i enjoy a bubbly bath with candles, soppy films and other such manly stuff! this forum is full of people who wear lycra and flirt outrageously with men they’ve never met on the internet for darcy’s sake! 😆

the question merely entered my head after reading about someone not liking xmas cards on another thread 🙂

sugdenr
    Free Member

I cant stand card with stupid poems or stuff like that in them, esp. the extra stoopid pseudo-religious rubbish ones.

I also dont understand card which exclaim Its your Brithday! or Happy 100th Birthday, etc because like management consultants they just tell me what I already know FFS.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I hope I get a xmas card from DebZ.

scaredypants

debZ is dez’s evil alter ego – nobody survives after receiving “the card”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Who’s Dez?

Sandwich

DD High 6!

alfabus
    Free Member

“to a wonderful dad, i love you so much my groin swells like the ocean when i think of your fatherly advice”

😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I send cards all the time, MrsBouy has hundreds of em’ all from different parts of the world I’ve been, all with some LUV in them, I’ve been known to write poetry too and that gets chucked in there loads..
    I just love the whole bond thing going on me..

Don’t ever send Xmas Cards though, I subscribe to the notion Cards are for all year round, not just for Xmas.. and anyway Xmas is far too commercially minded for my simple life.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Absolutely 100% a card person, and not an “e-card” person but a real postman-pops-it-through-the-letterbox person. I hate the trend for just wishing people happy birthday via Facebook, although it is better than nowt I suppose. I’m not bothered about pressies but I do want/expect birthday cards on my birthday. I am a man.

hels
    Free Member

I had to buy a wedding card recently (it’s a non-optional social convention) I couldn’t believe the mark-up !! Same card as all the normally vomit inducing ones, the word “wedding” on it somewhere but £3 more. And a heap more vomit, maybe thats what the extra is for…

vorlich
    Free Member

I send three xmas cards per year. Mum & dad, sis and great auntie.

Dad couldn’t care if he gets one, but it keeps the rest of them sweet. All wimminz.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘are greetings cards a wimminly thing?’ is closed to new replies.