Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 532 total)
  • Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

It’s that time again folks, has it it been a year already? Shiny new nonsense is going to be plopped out of the everyone’s favourite dream factory in Cupertino.

…and we’re all going to buy one. Maybe 2! NO, NO, THREE!

So, c’mon sheeple get yourselves over to http://www.apple.com/live/ at 18:00GMT tonight, as they are going to be live streaming the whole sordid business. Rumour is Apple are going to show how cutting edge and hip they are, by having U2 perform!

I’m hoping they will finally give me a iPod Shuffle bigger than 2GB, but reckon that ship has sailed. So probably going to be 2 larger screened, 4’7” and 5’5”, iPhone 6 models, possibly a wearable, updated MBA, and other gubbins.

Sadly, for Darcy, I think he’s about to have his flash dreams dashed again, and will have to wait for the 7.

deadlydarcy:

Think I’ll wait till the 6.

I suppose it still doesn’t run Flash?

POSTED 12 MONTHS AGO

somouk
    Free Member

Gotta love their marketing people, even people that hate them can’t help but spread the word.

I’ll be watching, see what they come up with to try and wow the S5/M8 owners in to Apple ownership.

Would be nice to see the iWatch announced tonight as well, I need a new watch and not a fan of the pebble.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well I watch most of these inc WWDC so I don’t have to wait a year. Its going to be the biggest spend I have had on a while for technology or indeed anything else (aside from divorce lawyers 😥 ).

I will be buying an 4.7 iPhone 6 as soon as they are for sale. First time I will have bought a phone outright but I am done with being locked into contracts.

I will be interesting to see the iWatch assuming it’s launched. Can’t see me buying one of the early models though, lets see how it develops.

I will also be replacing my iPad1 with an Air 2 but I am guessing that won’t be announced today.

I would like to see a 12 MacBook Air, if so I will buy one of these too as a present for my parents.

The daughter is going to be getting a call to use her student discount !

tonyg2003

I might wait for the iphone6 air to see what that’s like but my business contract is up so I can get another phone 🙂 I already have a peeble (great for MTBing)so the iwatch will have to be better than that to tempt me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well whatever is going to be announced there have been people queuing up for a week outside the apple store in NY waiting to buy it, even though whatever it is probably won’t be available for a few weeks yet!

Waiting for a new iPhone here as my 4 is dying a slow and painful death. Though better capabilities to monitor app resource usage in iOS 6 8 may give it a new lease of life.

Question is large or small screen? The larger iPhone 6 looks to have a monstrous battery which may swing it for the bigger screen.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mrblobby do you mean iOS8 (you said 6) as this has battery usage by app ? the iPhone 4 will not support iOS8 only the 4S onwards.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Doh, yes I mean 8. Ah, well that’s my 4 dead and buried then!

Jamie
    Free Member

…even though whatever it is probably won’t be available for a few weeks yet!

iThough iPhones are usually available the day after the event?. Might be different this time, tho.

I’m wrong, as bit of googling shows there was a 10 delay last year as well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Heard that it was going to be a couple of weeks before the smaller one went on sale, and another few weeks for the larger one. May be old news though.

Edit… Macrumour reckons 19th for launch for both.

Jamie
    Free Member

May be old news though.

Nah, I think you’re right. Must be other devices that are available straight after launch. I know I could order my MBA the day after WWDC 2012.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mrblobby spend £8 on a new battery/screwdriver kit and put it in yourself, pretty easy aside from fiddly small screws. Turn off background app update and/or location services for most things.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

So Apple folk, I’ve an iPad and I want to watch Netflix in an easier way then hooking up my laptop with cables everywhere.

Should I buy an Apple TV device now, or is there a new one in the near future that renders the current one redundant?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m still holding out for a larger-than-64mb iPod Touch. I’ve been waiting since 2009 though, so not much a chance there then…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Should I buy an Apple TV device now, or is there a new one in the near future that renders the current one redundant?

As the ATV is just a play thing for Apple I wouldn’t expect too much. That said I did hear mention of a new version, so maybe.
    Interesting that the v2 ATV are selling for over £200 now (glad I got mine for £70 a few years ago.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nah, I think you’re right. Must be other devices that are available straight after launch. I know I could order my MBA the day after WWDC 2012.

I reckon you’ll be able to order today but there’ll be about a two week lead time on it.

@mrblobby spend £8 on a new battery/screwdriver kit and put it in yourself, pretty easy aside from fiddly small screws. Turn off background app update and/or location services for most things.

Yeah may get a new battery for it and just use it without a SIM for around the house stuff. Bit traumatised after a screen change on a friends 4S but the battery on a 4 is pretty simple I think.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I don’t care about screen size that much, it still needs to be in my pocket comfortably… I’m more interested and hoping it has digital wallet capabilities, now that would be more like it. I’m sick of carrying a wallet and a phone. Give me one.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Interesting that the v2 ATV are selling for over £200 now (glad I got mine for £70 a few years ago.

I assume that’s because it possible to jailbreak them, where as the 3rd gen one hasn’t been cracked.

njee20
    Free Member

The reality is that I’m likely to buy one irrespective of what they announce today! I have a 5 which is up for renewal, have too many other Apple products to want to look elsewhere, and I’m sure whatever they do won’t be a vast departure from things that have gone before!

somouk
    Free Member

I don’t care about screen size that much, it still needs to be in my pocket comfortably… I’m more interested and hoping it has digital wallet capabilities, now that would be more like it. I’m sick of carrying a wallet and a phone. Give me one.

Yeah, hopefully it will have NFC built in.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

iDontGiveAShit

Jamie
    Free Member

iDontGiveAShit

Ok. Who had within 20 posts? Make yourself known to a member of staff, and you will get your prize.

jam-bo

The reality is that I’m likely to buy one irrespective of what they announce today! I have a 5 which is up for renewal, have too many other Apple products to want to look elsewhere, and I’m sure whatever they do won’t be a vast departure from things that have gone before!

this. hoping they’ll do a 128GB one as I’m fed up of running out of space.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Swedish Chef, you can send to a Chromecast from Netflix on iPad. I have seen links on here to sites selling them for £18, so a bit more affordable than an ATV.

Edit: I have both. ATV rarely gets used these days. Maybe for the odd rental.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve an iPad and I want to watch Netflix in an easier way then hooking up my laptop with cables everywhere.

[whisper] Google Chromecast mate, 20 quid innit

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just gone from Iphone 4s to HTC M8. I’ve had iphones for the last 3 upgrades after a poor experience with a previous HTC android phone. I would probably have gone the iphone5 or waited for the 6 but I’ve got a bit hacked off with the Apple thing lately, changing connections, locked into using iTunes etc.
    Android has become very nice platform to use now compared to my previous experiences with it. Apple will need to pull something really special out of the bag to keep up with the competition as Android and their phones are very nice to look at as well as easy to use. Even the wife’s Nokia 930 Windows phone is better to use than Apples IOS, just a shame about the apps.

Jamie
    Free Member

[SHOUTS] GOOGLE CHROMECAST!

warton
    Free Member

My contract was up yesterday.

My S3 died a death ages ago, god awful phone. that was my first phone after 2 iPhones. So I bought a Nexus 5. Just reduced my contract to SIM only, 13 quid a month and i’ll be sticking with this for the foreseeable future, it’s a great, no nonsense phone.

Unless the new iPhone is really good 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah, hopefully it will have NFC built in.

What is NFC? My work BB has it, I believe, but I have no idea what it’s for or why I should want it? Is it so you can pay for stuff with your phone or sommat?

Drac

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is it so you can pay for stuff with your phone or sommat?

Is one of the things it can be used for. NFC explained here.

andytherocketeer

Only thing I’ve sussed with my NFC phone is that if you put it too close to passport, the local transport app complains saying it can’t access the NFC smartcard 😉

Well that and realising that since the local transport app is now NFC aware, you can buy tickets by bonking your NFC enabled bank card instead of the usual in-app purchases etc.

think it’ll tak iphone to give NFC the momentum it needs, depsite NFC smartcards etc. for various services having been around for years, and several of those (eg Oyster) already the standard way to pay.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks guys, will investigate the Chromecast thingy.

stumpy01

njee20 – Member
    What is NFC? My work BB has it, I believe, but I have no idea what it’s for or why I should want it? Is it so you can pay for stuff with your phone or sommat?

That NFC link probably explains it better (I haven’t looked at the link), but basically it’s a very short range tag (like the chip you stick in a cat or dog, so the vet knows who they are) that you can do different things with.

You can pay for stuff with it, supposedly. Although my phone’s got NFC and I am not sure that there is any way of using it to pay for things. Not that i would probably want to.
    You can send photo’s and other items from device to device by just holding them close to each other; I think it sets up a temporary wi-fi link between the devices.
    You can use NFC tags to set your phone to do things. So, I’ve got an NFC tag on my monitor at work that applies certain settings (silent etc) or you can set one in your car that turns the bluetooth on, opens a sat nav app etc.

It probably will take the commercial shove of the iphone to get NFC into the mainstream, I think.
    I’ve already seen a few articles that mention the iphone6 is potentially going to have it and describing it as a ‘new technology’ and ‘the latest thing’, even though it’s been on many other phones for several years.

Cougar

I’m hoping they do an iWatch.

I won’t be buying one, but if they do then it might prompt Android manufacturers to do the same. I’m thinking more and more that my next ‘phone’ will be a watch and tablet combo but they’re all a bit huge currently and I have the wrists of a small girl.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think NFC is the same technology as contactless readers, and there are some that advertise you can use your phone. However, when you can also use your debit card contactless there’s really little point in using paypal etc via phone, imo.

kiwijohn

What he said.
    Though they just gave me a brand new 5 because of a dodgy battery. The Mrs has already bagged it for her mother, so I can’t sell it for bike bits when I get a 6. My old 4 has been reduced to an iPod.

johndoh
    Free Member

This Chromecast thing – will it work with any media from an iPad? Like, for example, of I had a highly not very legal App such as Cartoon HD (I don’t, but if I did) will it deal with that?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Swedish, it’s hard to argue with Chromecast at £20 (they where launched at £30). The Apple TV is more of a stand alone unit so you can use NetFlix without needing the iPad. I have ATV primarily to keep everything Apple (phone/pad/computer), from memory they are £80 now (I paid £100). Yes they are discussing a new model potentially with an App store (although they could open up the current one to an app store too).

I would wait and see what’s announced. If you care about £20 vs £80 buy the Chromecast, if you want stand alone functionality and to stay Apple with AirPlay from you iPad over all apps and not just Chrome browser buy ATV

atlaz
    Free Member

I think NFC is the same technology as contactless readers, and there are some that advertise you can use your phone. However, when you can also use your debit card contactless there’s really little point in using paypal etc via phone, imo.

Not everywhere has contactless payments on bank cards. That said, because of that, nowhere here has facility to take payments so it’s still a bit pointless for me 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m hoping they do an iWatch.

I’ve read Jonny Ive quoted as saying that Switzerland are going to be in trouble! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?’ is closed to new replies.