• This topic has 40 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Apple Music or Spotify Premium?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gave up buying music around 2 years ago. I’m happy to pay a monthly subscription to rent it or whatever we call it. Stuff I like gets downloaded for offline play. Other than that, music is listened to at home through Sonos streaming from Spotify. It’s been working well for us. So is Apple Music going to blow Spotify out of the water for a user like me (all family on iOS and iMac as home PC.)?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m not really sure how Apple Music is different and/or better but to make me change from Spotify it would have to come up with a cheap family pack type thing as I pay for premium x 4 at the moment.
    I’m actually a little suspicious of putting all our eggs in the apple basket.

mrben101
    Free Member

@sharkbait: family subscription – £14.99 p/m upto 6 people.

We still buy records so probably won’t subscribe, but I’ll give the 3 month trial a go 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Family (up to 6 I think) is £14.99/month

loddrik
    Free Member

I love Spotify me!

pguy78
    Free Member

Spotify for me until Sonos Apple app at the end of the year.

toppers3933
    Free Member

been trying to sign up to the free trial but it keeps telling me i need iTunes 12.2 but can’t find it to download.

Drac

http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/

Least that’s where it is for Mac.

scuttler

Hoping it forces Spotify into a family subscription as things could start getting costly around here in the next year.

I love Spotify.

toppers3933
    Free Member

when i follow that link it takes me to version 12.1.2 (on my mac)

andrewreay

Spotify for me.

In the desperate hope that a duopoly has to be better than an Apple monopoly.

I don’t want them to do to music what they did / tried to do to to e-books.

e-book anti-trust

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I ended up with Pandora over Spotify as it worked better on chromecast and the radio sounds better for me.

andyfla
    Free Member

Apple def as it has Taylor Swift !

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, that’s kinda what’s tempting me towards Apple Music presently. 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hoping it forces Spotify into a family subscription

Well if it doesn’t they don’t deserve to survive.

lunge

I like Spotify and will stay with it for the moment for no other reason that, bar Taylor Swift, it seems to offer a very similar service.

the-muffin-man

Spotify runs on my ancient Mac Mini – I can’t see Apple Music doing that!

And I have so many playlist set up on Spotify, unless they do a transfer tool I don’t think I can be bothered to create them all again.

A spotify family pack would be good though, even just to get rid of my daughters pop trash from my playlists!

just5minutes
    Free Member

sticking with Spotify here – the days of apple being an innovator have long since past and I’d rather give my hard earned to services that work now (spotify & sonos) rather than to services that offer jam tomorrow (apple music & sonos)

peterfile
    Free Member

as I pay for premium x 4 at the moment.

It’s 50% off for each additional Spotify account.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Presumably that’s around £25/m still? Still quite a bit more than £15 for up to 6 with iMusic? (Although I haven’t looked into how the sharing works…will I have mrs deadly’s bloody Belle And Sewankian polluting my stream?)

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I’ve been having a play with Apple Music and so far I’m not convinced.

– No Sonos integration (although it’s meant to be on the way. I dread to think what Apple Music in Sonos will look like, a UI dogs dinner)
    – Apple Music UI on OSX and IOS is bad, very bad.
    – Apple Music is trying to be too many things
    – Zan Lowe is a bellend

Spotify:

– Spotify has the best UI of all the streaming services, but it’s far from perfect.
    – Sonos need to pull their head of their backside and integrate with Spotify Connect.

I’m sticking with Spotify for the time being.

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s 50% off for each additional Spotify account.

I know, but it’s still a lot more than the Apple family sub. Spotify need to wake up to this sharpish or there could be an exodus by the ‘families’*

* presuming that AM and Spotify are offering the same service

zilog6128

I’m sticking with Spotify for the time being.

For the £30 saving, it’s a no-brainer to me to cancel my Spotify sub & trial Apple for 3 months. I can always switch back after if I’m not convinced.

I expect the Apple service/software will see rapid changes/improvements in that time though. Of course there’s also the matter of Spotify being somewhat a sinking ship at the moment – despite the company being valued at a ridiculous sum, they’ve never turned a profit AFAIK – something which will be much harder to do now Apple will be taking some of their paying customers!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You don’t actually need to pay for Spotify, the free version has some ads but not a bad option for some people in the house. And yes the music quality isn’t as good but the difference isn’t much unless you have your ears tuned up professionally.

zilog6128

^^^ or unless you want to use it offline, which personally I find really handy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the context of having multiple users in one household then some in the house can use the free version.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s the offline-ness of Spotify premium that I like. Saves wasting data on streaming.

sharkbait
    Free Member

wot DD sed

zilog6128

Just been playing around with the Siri commands for Apple Music. Way better than trying to find new songs on Spotify!

muggomagic

I’ve signed up to the family sub for Apple music. My eldest daughter seems quite happy with the shift from her spotify free account to Apple music. Thankfully none of hers or my music have appeared in the others library.

jimster01

I’ll be sticking with Spotify, not that Mr Apple will be losing any sleep.

As for Taylor Swift, a bit of free publicity for her.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I’m very happy with Apple music, i tried Spotify for a month and really couldn’t get my head around it.

Beats radio station i tend to avoid, it’s like Radio 1 on steroids. I’m presumoing other staions are on their way?

Daffy

As to whether Spotify survives, I’d guess that it may well survive on Android/windows users who don’t want anything to do with Apple.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As far as artists and consumers getting what they want it will depend on Spotify/Pandora/Apple and more all existing. Monopoly is good for nobody.

jontykint
    Free Member

Has anyone tried Tidal in HiFi yet?

rj
    Free Member

Perfectly happy with Spotify Premium and frankly I’m getting a bit hacked off with Apple pushing things I have no interest in onto my phone and taking up my (non-expandable) memory, with no option to remove them (watch app, music, U-bloody-2). Taylor Swift and the increasingly irritating Thom Yorke are not major selling points for me.

nickc

Bear in mind there’s no off-line Spotify if you’re on a chromebook (plus mine has an annoying playback pause issue that I can’t get rid of)

apart from that Spotify much nicer to use than Apple IMO

SaxonRider

As someone who has come, in the last few years, to hate Apple, I will stick with spotify for as long as I can.

jimster01

I wonder if Apple will pull the plug on the three month free trial when the android app becomes available ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Apple Music or Spotify Premium?’ is closed to new replies.