Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Apparently all 20 inch tyres aren't the same diameter
  • scuttler

Who’d-a-known after 30+ years of occasional fiddling with bikes? And I thought buying the right tubeless 27.5 tyres was a faff. Turns out I need 406’s. All hail our metric overlords.

philjunior
    Free Member

I encountered this fact significantly earlier than you, perhaps as my dad had a moulton with funny sized 20″ wheels – although it might’ve been some other reason.

Indeed, I feel if the benefits of the metric bead diameter measurements had been more widely publicised, the brexit vote would’ve surely gone the other way.

amedias
    Free Member

There’s at least 3 different types of 26in too, your ‘normal’ MTB (559mm), 650A (590mm rims), and 650C (571mm) which all get variously described as 650 or 26, then current MTB 27.5/650B (584mm rims) and 27inch (630mm rims) which are bigger than 700c rims (622mm) despite some people calling them 28in 😆

Welcome to the world of rims and tyres!

As above, one of the few areas where metric ISO is actually a more useful system rather than trying to label by a rough approximation of outside rolling diameter of variable tyres.

molgrips
    Free Member

one of the few areas where metric ISO is actually a more useful system

Wot? Few areas?

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, there’s two sizes of 16″, over 4cm different. Two sizes of 20″, almost 5cm different. 18″ is only 6mm bigger than 16″, and both are smaller than 17″.

But with big wheels, 29″ is the same as 28″ and both are smaller than 27″ 😉

ratherbeintobago

Wot? Few areas?

This. As someone educated in Scotland in the 1980s, I never learned imperial measurements in school and can’t work in them.

I do remember the midwives weighting my kids when they were born, in kg, converting this to imperial before telling us the weight, and then me looking blank and asking for that in metric.

Does anyone know why we didn’t adopt km in 1967 with the rest of the metric system?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. And a 24in bike tyre isn’t the same size as a 24in wheelchair tyre….. and a 25in wheelchair wheel is what we call 26in MTB.
    It’s bizarre. The more you go into it the worse it gets. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Does anyone know why we didn’t adopt km in 1967 with the rest of the metric system?

Because it’s French and it makes things sound more impressive than they are. 100km? Phhhh. 100miles? Now I’m impressed.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown has a very useful guide: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Yes, worth checking the ISO/ETRTO size, that tells you how big it actually is.

joshvegas
    Free Member

So youneeded 406 but got 451?

What arethe tyres imight take them?

scuttler

It’s a single 37-451 Kenda Small Block Eight (kids inexplicably wear out only the rear tyre – can’t think why). Approximately 20 inches in diameter 😉

I’ve currently requested to return it and if they’ll provide an alternative and I won’t get stung for a ton of postage I may send it back otherwise open to offers.

ratherbeintobago

Because it’s French and it makes things sound more impressive than they are. 100km? Phhhh. 100miles? Now I’m impressed.

If it’s good enough for those nice Canadians and New Zealanders…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Apparently all 20 inch tyres aren't the same diameter’ is closed to new replies.