Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • aol blocking access to email
  • PolisherMan

Aol are blocking my access due to “unusual activity”. My account sent out links to mucky sites to all my email contacts (including my mother!) a few days ago. It says I need to change my password but won’t let me. Has anyone any idea what I can do to reinstate it?

Cougar

You need to fix the cause first. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Aus
    Free Member

fwiw, we had the same thing a week or 2 back, and aol suggested changing password. I ran malware, plus mse in safe mode and neither found any virus/oddities. Since changing password all’s well, but my chats with aol seemed to possibly suggest it was a problem at their end?

Cougar

When you say it “won’t let you” what do you mean?

project
    Free Member

ring them up, and ask for them to reset passwords.

youll need your account details, and a lot of patince.

PolisherMan

HI Cougar
    When I try to change my password it tells me “Suspicious activity has been detected on this account.
    For your protection, we are blocking access to this screen name.”
    Any ideas?

PolisherMan

bump

john_drummer
    Free Member

yahoo occasionally has this problem – basically your account has been hacked & the hackers have used it to send dodgy links to all your contacts.
    Changing your password should usually be enough. How you do that on AOL is beyond me though, I didn’t realise people still used AOL…

jon1973
    Free Member

A similar thing happened to me years ago when I had an AOL account, I seem to recall having to call and get them to unblock it.

PolisherMan

sorted. cheers

Cougar

Care to share how for the benefit of those who come after you?

totalshell

reading the above and as i m in a similar situation i ve tried all those malware sites and mcafee all of which say i m clean so ive just changed my aol password.. fingers crossed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘aol blocking access to email’ is closed to new replies.