• This topic has 89 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ossie.
Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Anyone Velo Birminghaming on Sunday?
  • lunge

You set off on a 100 miler with no food of your own?

Me, hi. Now I wouldn’t set off on a 100 miler on my own with no food but an organised ride with feed stops then yes, me. I had 2 gels in my pockets and 2 bottles of water.

I didn’t even try the food stops as there were people queuing into the road, turns out that you can do 100 miles on 2 gels, a large Ginsters sausage roll and a Soreen bar all bought from a garage at about half way. Was a bit hungry when I finished but nothing overly worrying.

IHN

as there were people queuing into the road

I didn’t see that in Brum, but I did at RideLondon. It’s because people queue with their bikes, I just dumped mine on the verge, nipped into the stop, grabbed what I wanted and left.

lunge

Just had a thought, I was expecting something big/interesting from Ribble on
    St Kenelm’s Pass but saw nothing at all. Did I miss something? I was at least expected a banner over the start and finish or such like.

IHN

Someone next to me on the climb asked the same question, and apparently there was a sign at the bottom. Can’t have been that obvious, cos I didn’t see anything.

By the top my vision was a bit blurry so I doubt I’d have noticed anything anyway…

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Yes I was expecting some indication that we had reached the summit of St Kenelms pass – but nothing – except a big crowd of spectators & a chorus of ‘well done’. As for food – I had a good supply of energy bars & gels & only planned to stop for a re-fill of water at 75mikes – as my 2 bottles should have been done by then.

As it happened I had to stop at the 40mi to repair a puncture – so re-filled one bottle there.

I did the Welsh Velo & the Tour of Cambridge (which was far more competitive) & now the Velo Birmingham – which are all on my calender for next year now (that is when the date for B’ham is out)!

rOcKeTdOg

did the Welsh Velo & the Tour of Cambridge (which was far more competitive)

Hmm not really the ethos of a sportive

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Tour of Cambridge was probably more of a race as it was a Gran Fondo endorsed by the UCI for the qualification for the armature World Champs – which was held in Albi, S of France this year. A Sportive – it was not……..

rOcKeTdOg

Fairey muff

IHN

This chap enjoyed himself, wrong Brum though 🙂

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-41393230

ossie
    Free Member

Overall, enjoyed the ride/course. Only one serious climb to contend with at 80 odd miles. Couple of organisation “builds” – I departed 30+ minutes late from my pen, but no explanation or comms as we all waited, and waited…
    Chaos at food stations, causing log jams and walking. I’d learnt from doing the Cardiff Velos and so passed on the 20 miler, only to get to 55 miler and find they’d run out of food! Took plenty of energy bars, so luckily only needed topping up at 74 mile station.
    Having to drive 75 miles and back to Brum to pick up rider pack on Saturday bit of a bind. I believe Cardiff Velo have decided to post out for 2018. Good move.
    Upsides – great support from public, and plenty of marshalls. Closed roads is perfect. Look forward to the day when Dragon Ride is on closed roads, but not sure it will be as too many ride options.
    Weather helped. Parking options were good. I used Edgbaston. Not heard of any issues for those using “side roads” etc.
    Bummer for me was a puncture at the bottom of the only real climb. Many thanks to the guy who helped me out with his CO2 pump.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Velo Birminghaming on Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.