Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone using the 50mm Nikon prime G lens?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Want to get something for my D3100 but thinking I will miss AF too much if I go for one of the older primes

GrahamS

Nope. I’m on the older 50mm AF f/1.8 D prime.
    Which is lovely.

RustySpanner

The boggo AF-FX 50mm 1.8 is a cracker – sharpest lens I own and a bit of a bargain at about £100.00.

Bit plasticky, obviously not as well built as the much more expensive stuff but does the job.

Grays of Westminster have got a s/h one in for £75.00.
    I wouldn’t hesitate in buying anything from them, superb shop.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im still quite amazed that most cameras come with a zoom rather than the 50mm std lens these days.
    Always get the best picture quality using one, plus you can get some really good hand held night shots as they are invariably “faster” lenses, typically going up to f1.8.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Is focussing manually much of a chore?

IA

You should still get focus-confirm (green dot in corner of the viewfinder on a D40, I assume similar on a D3100), you just need to drive the focus yourself instead of a motor.

If you don’t mind manual exposure too, can I recommend a 50/1.8 series E? Can be had for about £30 in good nick, the smallest lens nikon have ever made (about 1″ long). Gives you a nice compact package. Got my GF one and she loves it. Action shots will be tricky mind, as you have to get exposure and focus right, which can take a couple tries.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Naah, just make sure the exposure and focus pre-set up in manual mode in advance.

s
    Free Member

50/1.8 series

The series “E” lens only had single coated optics, instead of multi-coatings, optically you might not notice the difference, but for the difference you would pay, I would go for a standard 50mm F1.8, if you are going down that route.

the smallest lens nikon have ever made (about 1″ long).

Nikon did a pancake lens, 45mm f2.8 P which was smaller, 17mm thin! rare, but a great lens, only ever used one once!

martymac

most of the time, manual focus is no hassle at all, also remember that if (when) you upgrade the body, all the midrange and above nikons have a focus motor built into the body so you would have AF then.
    if lack of AF is an issue have a look at the 35mm f1.8 lens, it has a motor for AF on the lower range nikons.
    FWIW, i have a d5000 and i went for the 35mm, im very pleased with it.
    it cost £169.95 at jessops.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks just spotted the 35mm on Amazon – may get that instead

IA

The series “E” lens only had single coated optics, instead of multi-coatings, optically you might not notice the difference, but for the difference you would pay, I would go for a standard 50mm F1.8, if you are going down that route.

I have both here, never noticed a difference. Actually that’s a lie, the series E seems a bit better sometimes! Maybe just because it’s a better condition lens, which maybe makes more difference? The series E is a lot smaller and lighter mind and this extra portability makes more difference to my GF than any possible slight quality increase.

Nikon did a pancake lens, 45mm f2.8 P which was smaller, 17mm thin!

Ah yes, I remember reading about that. It is tiny! A lot slower and rarer (more expensive) mind. Though it would meter I think, as it has the contacts?

damo2576
    Free Member

Is focussing manually much of a chore?

Depends what you’re shooting. Still life, food etc no problem, action/sports then yes!

I have a Nikon 50mm f1.4 af lens. It’s fantastic, all I use. Super sharp. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5014af.htm

Getting down to 1.4 is good also if you regularly shoot in low light or want super shallow depth of field type shots (e.g food).

flyingmonkeycorps

Still life, food etc no problem, action/sports then yes!

I’d actually disagree with this, to a point. Depends what you’re shooting obviously – but I find biking shots I tend to prefocus anyway, as unless you have a fairly high end body / lens combo autofocus can struggle to keep up with a fast moving object especially if you’re panning.

damo2576
    Free Member

I’d actually disagree with this, to a point. Depends what you’re shooting obviously – but I find biking shots I tend to prefocus anyway, as unless you have a fairly high end body / lens combo autofocus can struggle to keep up with a fast moving object especially if you’re panning.

Ok sure, I get you, I was talking about situations where you dont know where you’re subject’s gonna be – if you’re talking about bikes then I can see how you can set up for that assuming they come round the corner right!

beanum

A 50mm lens on a 3100 will be the 35mm film equivalent of an 80mm portrait lens. If you want a more general use lens then the 35mm f1.8 would be a better bet imho. I’ve got one and I use it a lot as it makes the camera a lot more portable so I’m more inclined to take it with me. It’s the best lens I have for low light situations as mentioned plus you can mess arond with some cool depth of field effects..

GTDave
    Free Member

I have the 35mm for my D5000, it’s super sharp. Aparrently, bokeh can be a bit meh though, although I haven’t noticed it to be so.

rondo101
    Free Member

Nope. I’m on the older 50mm AF f/1.8 D prime.
    Which is lovely.

+1. Sharper than my 17-55 2.8.

Originally used it on a D40 w/o autofocus & found that putting an eyepiece magnifier on helped with manual focus.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using the 50mm Nikon prime G lens?’ is closed to new replies.