Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone using a Nokia N95 8GB to track their routes using GPS?
  • ogwen
    Free Member

If so HELP (please)

What software do you use?
    How on God’s green earth do you get it to find a sattelite?
    How do you get the route off your phone on to the PC?
    How do you plot it onto some map software?

Yup – bit of a n00b at this.

Cheers

Og

druidh
    Free Member

Nokia Sportstracker. There’s another thread on this down there somewhere

¦
    ¦
    ¦
    V

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto

cynic-al
    Free Member

what they said.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you have a data contract (i.e. you can use the internet on your phone), then go to ‘tools’,’settings’,’general’,’positioning’,’positioning methods’, and make sure ‘assisted gps’ has a tick next to it (as well as integrated gps).

This will make it download about 2kb from the network each time you start the GPS, which tells it where all the satellites are, meaning it locks on very quickly.

If you don’t have this on, then to get a lock, just leave it somewhere with a view of the sky for a couple of minutes or so (it might be a bit longer the very first time ever). Mine locks on okay on if left inside, on or near a windowsill.

Joe

clubber
    Free Member

My N95 8GB is still very hit and miss at getting a signal – sometimes it’s nice and quick (1 min), other times in the same location it’ll take 20 minutes…

rosqo
    Free Member

if you have issues with signal try a firmware update, it fixed mine.
    Open the phone and on the keypad type #*0000# and a new screen will appear (it can take a few seconds to appear) then select:
    Options > check for updates
    If there is an update available just follow on screen prompts to update, IT WILL NOT WIPE YOUR SETTINGS, its an on the fly update and will reboot a couple of times and you will then have the latest firmware foryour nokia. it needs a data connection to get the update so wifi at home is the fastest way to get it down and installed.

clubber
    Free Member

you mean *#0000# and all that does (on mine at least) is show you the firmware version, not actually provide any options (v11 firmware currently)

joemarshall
    Free Member

You can upgrade the firmware using Nokia PC Suite (on your computer).

It does eat all your settings and things, but there is a backup program in PC Suite that can back them up and restore them.

Version 11 is ancient, mine is v30, and I think there is a later one. It works much better (and battery life is better) with the newer firmwares.

Joe

clubber
    Free Member

That’s the plan for tonight then 🙂

What gets lost then? just settings? what about data – eg bookmarks, pics, music, etc.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Everything that is on the phone memory gets lost. Stuff on the memory card doesn’t go. You need to back it up first.

It sucks, and I guess is a throwback to their 15 or so year old operating system design, which they really ought to get fixed some point soon, especially given they seem to go through 10 or so updates for each phone model.

Joe

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm I guess that on the 8gb model that would mean that the internal memory card would be ok (I hope!) which would be good since that’s where all my stuff is.

rosqo
    Free Member

yeah sorry *#0000#, when i do that on mine it gives me a menu option on the left of the screen and from there it lets me check for updates, may be the fact i have an unlocked phone rather than it being hacked by the network provider.

druidh
    Free Member

Clubber – If you’re on Vodafone, you should be able to update to software version 21.0.16.

clubber
    Free Member

Well I updated last night using the Nokia updater (which I had a nightmare downloading – think that my firewall was blocking it so I had to download it on a different computer) which updated the firmware to v20 – not sure why not v21 or even v30 but regardless it’s made a massive difference to the GPS – now locks in under a minute even when indoors so that’s a huge step forward.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Nokia N95 8GB to track their routes using GPS?’ is closed to new replies.