Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone used one of these for cleaning the bike
  • Tracey

Thought this would be more use in the camper than buying a mobile jet washer unit, anyone had a play with one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfO78OxT2B4

mjsmke

A bucket and sponge is cheaper and kinder on your bearings/shock seals.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yeah, bucket, brush and sponge. Cheaper and works well.

Tracey

Folding bucket and sponge is what we have at the moment, we also have the facility to use an outside shower on the van, its when the bike is really caked with wet sludge and needs to be worked on at race events where it falls down at the moment. Rest of the time we tend to just leave it covered and wash it when we get home. I would never jet wash bearings or seals.
    It looks like it has the facility to turn down the pressure.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t understand this fear about seals and jetwashers. I’ve been using a jetwasher for almost 15 years.

And I’d bloody love one of those things in the vid.

EDIT backpack full of bottles and you’d seriously clean up* in water fights.

* pun intended

globalti
    Free Member

The horror. My bike gets wiped clean with a microfibre cloth dampened with milk of a virgin unicorn and then lovingly dried with Bulgarian rose petals.

Trimix
    Free Member

Recently I’ve only needed to dust mine its been so dry.

stumpy01

Looks pretty neat & given that the video shows it being used to water the plants in the ‘low’ setting, seals & bearing should be OK!! 😆

If you already have a ready supply of water, it would probably be a better solution than buying a mobile pressure washer (with canister) as it would presumably pack away smaller.

I’ve got a Worx mini circular saw & it’s a nicely made tool. Not sure it would stand up to professional use, but it was reasonably priced & perfectly up to being used by an infrequent bungling DIYer (me).

molgrips
    Free Member

Jetwashers already produce a gentle flow if you move away. I could water the plants with my mains one.

As I say, I’ve been using a mains one for many years, and my bearings seem to last a lot longer than most people on here.

gonzy
    Free Member

£130… 😯

Tracey

Put one in my basket and will pick it up from Argos tomorrow. We only have a couple free weekends between now and the end of August when we arent away in the camper so hopefully will be able to give some feed back at the end of the summer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

and my bearings seem to last a lot longer than most people on here.

Christ, what’s the life expectency of your average stwer?. 😆

spawnofyorkshire

I have one of these which does a good job

P20

Personally I think it looks good. I’ve got a 12v system from eBay in the back of the van, otherwise I’d consider it

timber

Or you can just get the component parts for a mobile washer to plug into the 12v and a bucket. Roughly the setup I just got for the shed as it has 12v solar supply. About £40 I think. Could probably plumb it into campervan system and have an outside connector.

rene59
    Free Member

I don’t own one but the lad in work showed up with one of these the other day there. I had a look at it, was very impressed. It seemed well made, sturdy and the pressure it produced full force was pretty good for a battery operated thing (way better than those normal MTB portable washers you see at trail centre car parks). You can change the spray from a single stream of high pressure that you wouldn’t want to put your hand in front of, right down to a full spread like a watering can. Think it was £120-£130 from argos which would put me off, but then those washers from CRC etc are pretty pricey themselves.

jairaj

Isn’t this the same as a portable washer? Just that they have integrated the pump and sprayer into one package.

If its just for cleaning the bike, I don’t see why you wouldn’t just use one of the many portable washers on the market.

The extra pressure of the Worx isn’t going to be any use and it doesn’t look like you can plug it into the van’s 12v power?

Tracey

It’s alot smaller than the portable washers on the market, that’s what has stopped me getting one a portable one in the past. I don’t need and don’t want to carry a extra tank for the water and like the idea of not having to plug it into 12v sockets.
    Thanks Rene59 that’s what I wanted to know

jairaj

OK fair enough. If you don’t mind a hillbilly setup you can buy pump and nozzle kit (no water tank) from amazon or ebay. Combine with 12v Li-ion / lead acid battery and you have a similar set up. Should come out a lot cheaper than the Worx.

One I got is 3 years old and still working fine, I paid £24. At work so only had a quick search but can’t find the exact same one but the one below is similar possibly cheaper ones still exist. The nozzle is adjustable from a powerful jet to a fine gentle mist so won’t hurt your bike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Motorbike-Care/Portable-Pressure-Washer-Cleaning-System-Gardening-Camping/B017EA7C8G/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1494596884&sr=8-9&keywords=portable+power+washer

Tracey

Picked one up and thought I would try it before it goes in the camper

First impressions is how compact and light it is, hosed a dry muddy bike down very easily far better than the one that is built into the camper where we can attach a shower or a hose pipe to the fixing plumbed into the van body and running of the 12v or 240v supply.

Looks like its what I’ve been looking for, it comes with a filter on the end for using if you want to get water from a stream or something

Needs weeding and pebbles raking but I would rather ride the bike

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used one of these for cleaning the bike’ is closed to new replies.