Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone think this might work? Warning Alfine 11 Content
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

Having bought an Alfine 11 hub without really assessing the implications of different dropout permutations, I’ve come to the conclusion that the standard Blue and Green no turn washers don’t work with horizontal slotted dropouts when trying to get the change mechanism to run down the seatstay on an scandal frame. The alternative washers seem unavailable and very expensive (need to buy a full fitting kit to get them) so I’m looking at using a couple of OnOne chain tugs and filing a slot at the correct angle,then mating it to the existing no turn washer, the washer’s steel and chain tug alu so no chance to weld them together. Any thoughts on this bodge or any other solutions I haven’t considered?

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

I seem to recall that the kits come with the blue and green washers as well as the white trackend dropouts. Yes/no…?

If my memory hasn’t failed me this time and this is indeed the case, perhaps some kind soul with vertical dropouts could sell/give you their white non-turn washers.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Mine came just with green and blue apparently it’s the same kit on the 8 speed but they’re like hens teeth as well, quite happy to pay for or swap if these are the right ones, part of the problem is that I’m looking to run the gear change bracket up the seat stay not along the chain stay.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Any more thoughts please?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

put a wanted on here for white/silver washers, that’s how i bought green/blue.

is 11 different to 8? i got hold of green/blue because i originally wanted to run my 8 cable up the seat stay of my slot drop inbred, it looked shit so in the end i used white/silver and routed along the chain stay.

mk1fan
    Free Member

When I bought my 8-spd hub it came with all four washers so I could fit horiznatal, vertical, chainstay, seatstay.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

When I bought my 8-spd hub it came with all four washers so I could fit horiznatal, vertical, chainstay, seatstay.

So which ones did you use then? If it was the green Blue combo, can I buy the others please?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There are a whole variety of different alfine washers available – including various angled ones – get the right angled ones and you can run the gear change up the seatstay

Scroll down

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html

bruneep

silver and white for horizontal and blue and green for vertical drop outs.

Not sure if the chain tugs will stop rotation of the hub tho.

I seem to have 2 sets of spare blue and green washers now.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Yes I know, have you tried getting any of them? My original post said they are not available, I’ve tried St John Street etc and a fairly reliable source had told be that Madison haven’t got any and are sending out Alfine 11 hubs with no fitting kits to shops which is about as much use as a Chocolate Teapot, my question is whether anyone here has alternateive ones to sell or if my bodge will work?

mk1fan
    Free Member

pistonbroke,

Sorry, that information has been archived for retrieval when Alzchimer’s kicks in.

I sold the wheel and bits last year. TJ’s link seems a good starting place.

On a side note, my spelling is appauling today – more so than usual.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Not sure if the chain tugs will stop rotation of the hub tho.

Please read the thread, I’m looking to file a slot in the chain tug and use it together with the no turn washer.

bruneep

Please read the thread………….nah where the hell is the fun in that.

My Alfine 11 fits my frame fine thanks, but then again I got the correct parts for the correct frame. 😉

Sheesh. 🙄

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

They certainly used to be available individually from Madison for about £2.50 each. I thought I’d be smug and look up the part numbers on the shaman tech docs but don’t see them… Ask a silly question, but have you asked your lbs?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

It was my almost LBS who told me that Madison were sending out hubs with no fitting kits. On One seem to be having the same problems.
    Sorry Bruneep but I was looking for advice or similar experiences not smug replies highlighting my mistake. Guess the new improved Singletrack community doesn’t do help any more.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

There are definite supply ‘issues’: I have an eleven-speed hub and sprocket, but no shifter or fitting kit. If anyone can find the logic in them bringing into the country different numbers of hubs and shifters you are a wiser rider than I…

Slight hijack: anyone know if the 8-speed fitting kit will work with the 11-speed…?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Sorry dandelion, I had a mini flounce after Bruneeps less than useful advice.It appears that 8 speed has a shorter arm than the 11 or it may be a trick of the photography, certainly all the other parts look similar. May be worth a punt to CRC or On One, £9.99 isn’t much and you can always send it back. Or call OnOne as they are now fitting 11’s to bikes.
    Meanwhile, any other thoughts on my plan?

Andy-R

I do know that the 11 speed fitting kit won’t work on the 8 speed hub (I was sent one by mistake and tried it) so presumably it won’t work the other way round either.

bruneep

Think I might catch the flounce ferry with Juan today. 🙄

Meanwhile, any other thoughts on my plan?

Yes, think through what you are trying to achieve 1st.

Having bought an Alfine 11 hub without really assessing the implications of different dropout permutations

Buy the correct parts for the right frame. Why are you trying to run the gear changer up the seat stay? If you had the correct fitting kit it would run along the chain stay as Shimano designed to be fitted.

You could try to see if your LBS can order the correct non turn washers via Madison, or you can try bodge on a £400 hub and its fittings. For the sake of £15 you get the right bits to do the job correctly.

And more unhelpful advice, yes the 8 and 11spd arms are different lengths.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Er, I’ve got a pair of white and silver washers kicking about that I’m not using at the moment. Mail me at keithat perfectbalancecycles dot co dot uk if you’re interested. I may not be able to get back to you until the evening though.

bruneep

Mostly Balanced…..

Please read the thread, he’s looking to file a slot in the chain tug and use it together with the no turn washer.

😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

edit – not read thread properly.

onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack,
    bruneep,

do you fancy selling me a set of your blue green washers, I need a set to get my alfine to fit my new frame properly?

bruneep

emailed you. 😉

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Buy the correct parts for the right frame. Why are you trying to run the gear changer up the seat stay? If you had the correct fitting kit it would run along the chain stay as Shimano designed to be fitted.

You could try to see if your LBS can order the correct non turn washers via Madison, or you can try bodge on a £400 hub and its fittings. For the sake of £15 you get the right bits to do the job correctly.

I’m openly admitting that I didn’t know the significance of the coloured washers before I bought the hub,I’ve never fitted one before. If the no turn washers were available from Madison, which they’re not, that would have been my first thought, which it was. My LBS has told me that Alfine fitting kits and spares are like rocking horse poo. I’m not looking to scrimp, just have the correct angle for the gear arm which matches the cable routing on the scandal frame i.e up the seatstay. Anyway, I,ve found the correct washer on my travels today, which incidentally is silver, thanks to the kind people at On One who had a grub through their nuts and bolts tray.

s-keeper

There are definite supply ‘issues’: I have an eleven-speed hub and sprocket, but no shifter or fitting kit. If anyone can find the logic in them bringing into the country different numbers of hubs and shifters you are a wiser rider than I…

Some people might have bought the 11 speed shifter to use on their 8 speed Alfines. I’ll just look away and start whistling now.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

There’s 11-spd joint kits on Ebay from the continent (mine should arrive tomorrow – which will mean I’ll actually have two, due to a small “admin” error on my part… :oops:), and shifters…. in fact, I could have had a continental hub, joint kit and shifters delivered to my door for about 20% than I paid for just the hub here in the UK.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone think this might work? Warning Alfine 11 Content’ is closed to new replies.