Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone running 65mm fat bike rims? Wide enough?
  • slowboydickie

I’ve got some 76mm fattie rims on cheap shite el guapo on one hubs and I’m thinking of getting some hope fatsno hubs to replace them and at the same trying some light bicycle 65mm carbon rims. Has anyone tried those particular rims with a 4.0 tyre or have an opinion if the reduced rim width would be a problem?

Cheers
    Rich

epicyclo

I’ve used 40mm on a 4″ tyre. You get a very round profile which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. You can’t drop the pressure so low though.

I regard narrow rims as a 3 season option, ie not for snow or bog.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I run 48mm rims on 3.8nates.

Makes the bike much more usable year round imo.m

I had 100mm rims on previously. It was great at floating but you had to manhandle it round corners.

Yes i can go to 4psi or that but im happy enough for general riding at 8-10

dovebiker

Been running 65mm Nextie carbon rims with both Dillinger 5 and Husker Dus on my fatbike – IMO it’s the ideal width for general riding. You get a really nice, rounded tyre profile which minimises rolling resistance on hard pack and yet you can heel it over on the berms for ridiculous levels of lateral grip plus minimises the risk of rim-strike. I’ve taken the bike rock-pooling in Scotland, beach riding in Northumberland and thrashed it on every other type of trail the UK has to offer. This winter I did an arctic ultra in Finland and due to soft snow, had to drop tyre pressure to the absolute minimum (<2psi)- never once did I noticeably suffer from tyre-squirm on the bits you could ride. However, I am looking to build a pair of 100mm rims with Snowshoe 2XLs for a repeat visit to the arctic next winter where most of the trail is unprepared and riding at 4kph over knee-deep snow is preferable to pushing at 2kph!

wwaswas

I’ve got 65mm light bicycle rims and hope hubs.

Been great for general riding with 4″ tyres.

slowboydickie

Thanks fellas, I shall be shortly ordering some 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running 65mm fat bike rims? Wide enough?’ is closed to new replies.