Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone recommend an off-bike head-torch?
  • Pz_Steve

Looking for a Christmas present for my brother-in-law. He wants a head-torch for feeding the animals (he’s a farmer), so it needs to be reasonably bright without being too bulky. 1200 lumens might be overkill, though!

It also needs a decent battery life and there’s a strong preference for it being rechargeable (he’ll be running it for an hour a day min, so having to change batteries every few days gets tedious and expensive).

Last of all, I’m not looking for anything cripplingly expensive, cos I’m a tightwad!

Anyone got experience of similar?

Thanks very much!

backhander
    Free Member

Just get a petzl (prob 3xLED). Normal batts are fine, they last ages.
    I keep one in the car.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

+1 for petzl.

druidh
    Free Member

The little Petzl Tikka/Zipka might do him. Petzl even do a rechargeable battery pack for them now. The light is quite “floody”, so probably good for his application.

Jamie
    Free Member
    Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I’ve had a petzl tikka for years thats been used for walking at night, working outdoors, camping etc.
    Try the ‘select a headlamp’ on the site
    http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/select-a-headlamp

trout
    Free Member

I guess one of these is of the menu then but would do the job very well

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I ran with a tikka plus for years it was fine. Recently upgraded to a myo xp and this is superb although it weighs slightly more with the separate bat pacj.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I ran with a tikka plus for years it was fine. Recently upgraded to a myo xp and this is superb although it weighs slightly more with the separate bat pacj.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I also run with a Myo XP. Brilliant headtorch!

petrieboy

+1 for the Alpkit Gamma. The wee LED is enough to walk on easy terrain and the big LED on low is easily up to offroad duties. Seldom have to turn mine up to full power and batteries seem to last ages. Not rechargeable tho.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Alpkit one is good for the cash.

Android
    Free Member

I got a LED Lenser H7R 170 Lumens but adjustable for longer life and you can vary the focus as well.

Under £40 from Amazon Very impressed so far.

cheviots
    Free Member

Used the Alpkit Gamma this week for sledging in the dark with my little lad and then to dig the car out at 6am before work on Thurs.
    £12.50 bargaintastic.

mute
    Free Member

Another vote for the Myo XP. My dad uses his for pretty much every thing around the farm from feeding the animals to fixing the tractors.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

alpkit

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend an off-bike head-torch?’ is closed to new replies.