Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone know what these are for?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

does anyone know what these are for?
    they arrived with the Zee and SLX brakes i ordered from CRC arrived this morning

i now have those 3 yellow bits of plastic, 2 of those brass barrel type things, 2 of those silver pins and 2 of those black washer type things and i dont have a clue what theyre for…

ads678

For putting in the brakes when transporting bike without wheels in. and maybe for use when bleeding.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yellow block is for bleeding your calipers, when they don’t have a disc in the way to stop you accidentally popping your pistons out. Also handy for transporting, if for any reason you have no pads fitted.

Black bit is a stop ring. It…erm..stops your mounting bolts coming undone. I think 99% of the world’s supply are sitting in peoples toolboxes.

benji
    Free Member

Yellow block(big one) is for bleeding, the matching other two are for cutting the brake pipe squarely, hose in middle and clamp, the silver pins are for pushing into the brake hoses, so if you shorten them you need to push one of those into the cut end, the barrel things are known as olives, they slide over the brake pipe and provide a compression fitting to the pipe.

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks for that Benji and Jamie!

benji
    Free Member

The black piece is the piece that goes over the caliper mount bolts to help stop them rotating and rattling loose, bit like the fluoro tabs you see on truck wheels.

gonzy
    Free Member

so why have they only sent 1 per caliper…shirley should have sent 2 for each?
    will i die without them?

njee20
    Free Member

And the big yellow block will be no use when transporting – don’t worry, you’re not being daft. It will only fit when there’s no pads.

gonzy
    Free Member

And the big yellow block will be no use when transporting – don’t worry, you’re not being daft. It will only fit when there’s no pads.

looking at the big yellow one Jamie’s comment made sense as it looks like it will fit minus the pads so it does look like its for bleeding the brakes without the pads in.
    as for transportation they did leave the red tabs in the calipers so its most likely that i would stick those in between the pads

njee20
    Free Member

it does look like its for bleeding the brakes without the pads in.

It is.

gonzy
    Free Member

The black piece is the piece that goes over the caliper mount bolts to help stop them rotating and rattling loose, bit like the fluoro tabs you see on truck wheels.

id be more inclined to add some thread locking compound to the bolts instead or would this be wrong?

Scapegoat

The two pins and the brass barrel thing are hose olive and connector, to use if you need to shorten your hoses. They form a hydraulic seal between the hose and the inline connector on your reservoirs. They aren’t reusable, so you need new ones if you shorten the hoses.

A bit of threadlock on the mounting bolts is not a bad idea. As said above, the plastic things are actually only designed to prompt a flurry of “What do I do with these?” threads on bike forums.

d45yth
    Free Member

The two pieces that are the same clamp around the hose after shortening so you can hammer the barb in…it’s quite hard to do it without.

The other piece is only used when bleeding, not transporting. You take the pads out so they don’t get contaminated. You only get one, as you only bleed one brake at a time.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

id be more inclined to add some thread locking compound to the bolts instead or would this be wrong?

Fine. Just use the medium grip stuff. I never bother with either and check most bolts for tightness once a month or so, or before a big ride for piece of mind. Never had them come loose.

gonzy
    Free Member

Never had them come loose.

neither have i.
    i dont understand their inclusion. i just pushed one bolts into one of these things and firstly it doesnt sit straight and secondly it doesnt seem to offer much resistance to the bolt turning. of course things may be different when its been bolted onto the bike…also the bolts already have some threadlock on them….
    should be an interesting installation…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know what these are for?’ is closed to new replies.