Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone had the USB port PCB problem on a Samsung Galaxy S2?
  • robbo1234biking

Phone started playing up about 2 days ago. Kept going into drive and or dock mode randomly which was killing the battery. Googling it shows it to be a problem with the USB port PSB board which you can replace for about £7.00 from Ebay. There are a lot of threads on the subject but I cant find a decent how to go guide.

I went into Orange and they cant help me with Warranty as they only do a 6 month warranty and then it goes back to the manufacturer. I tried ringing Samsung today but they were closed so I will give them a ring tomorrow but it looks as if you have to send it up to a company in Glasgow who will then have a look at it. Was a bit dissapointed that you cant return a 7 month old phone to the store that you brought it from.

if I can find a decent how to guide i am tempted to do it myself as I suspect Samsung will end up trying to wriggle out of covering it on warranty and it will end up being off for a few weeks whilst they try and sort it out. There are a few vids on youtube but they dont seem detailed enough

donsimon
    Free Member

I thought all new electronic stuff had a two year warranty by way of a European Directive. I’ll wait for the wise words of a legal expert.

robbo1234biking

It has in theory but I have to go back to Samsung as Orange wont handle it. I havent found many nice things said about Samsung’s warranty department with regards to this issue. I would prefer to be able to drop it off to a store and then pick it up again but they wont do that which leaves me making multiple phone calls, sending it off etc for a part that costs £7! It will cost me more than that to send it recorded delivery

donsimon
    Free Member

A quick read of this 2009 Guardian article might be of some use, but I’d still say the responsibility lies with the retailer if you can show inherent problems.

• After the item is six months old, retailers can demand evidence that it failed as a result of a manufacturing fault. Try the Yellow Pages for an independent repairer. Most stores will reimburse the cost of an independent examination if the breakdown is the result of an inherent fault.

Good luck.

Cougar

I went into Orange and they cant help me with Warranty as they only do a 6 month warranty and then it goes back to the manufacturer.

That sounds like “helping you” to me, they’re sending it away for repair under warranty?

robbo1234biking

Cougar – sorry didnt explain that very well. Orange arent interested at all after 6 months. They told me to contact samsung directly myself. Didnt even have any contact details just told me to look it up on the internet.

Cougar

Under the Sale of Goods Act your contract is with Orange, not Samsung. If it needs to go back to Samsung then fine, but it’s Orange’s legal responsibility to sort that out for you (and without unnecessary inconvenience to yourself; ie, they should offer a loan phone if you need one).

It might be *quicker* to do it yourself, but you shouldn’t *have* to.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

I had a similar issue with mine not long after the phones release.

Mine kept going into “media snanning” “media scanner” or a small steering wheel would appear in the top left hand corner. Due it being brand new at the time there wasnt allot of reported issues. Christ knows how but after deactivating the 3 voice apps (voice recorder etc) it cured the issue. Turns out it was a know issue but LOADS of folks were being diagnosed with the USB issue your talking about. Worth a try…. mine eventually cured itself after a software update, you tried that also ?

robbo1234biking

Well i have emailed the CEO of Orange seeing as I dont seem to be getting anywhere with customer service so will see what they have to say. At least I will hopefully get a response that way

JonBoy
    Free Member

I had the same problem. I got in touch with samsung as i was informed it would be the best way to go. I sent the phone off. It cam back 3 days later not fixed. Sent it off again. Came back…… not fixed. I complained to my network (virgin)…… new phone following morning. Mine was a usb fault. Sometimes it would say it was charging when miles from a plug.

Toasty

Are you sure it’s PCB related? Mine used to do this, I’d plug it in 20 times, restart it, restart Kies, and suddenly it’d work.

After swapping to a random ICS rom I’ve never had a problem, not one, it’s been fine. Much better phone all round after swapping to be honest.

I thought it was a Gingerbread + Kies + drivers thing, quite a few people had similar.

Edit: Oh, going into dock mode while not connected?! Maybe not what I had then!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had the USB port PCB problem on a Samsung Galaxy S2?’ is closed to new replies.