Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone got the Michelin on-one £10 tyres?
  • ajf
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has got the Michelin all terrain tyres? If so thoughts? Rolling resistance? Grip in the wet?

I suppose they are worth a punt but would be good to get opinions before I make another tyre mistake (speed kings were my last one)

DezB
    Free Member

Are they anything like Hot S?
    I've just dug my 8 year old Michelin Hot S tyres out and their grip in the snow/ice is phenomenal.

timothecimmerian

Got them, but not used them yet….(so no help to you really!) However they're the same tread pattern as the old Michelin All Mountain 2.2"s which a couple of us had and rated and that's is why I bought these.

The 2.2"s came up quite big and these 2" versions look similar in volume to 2.1" High Rollers or maybe even Nevegals. My current frame wouldn't have clearance for the older 2.2" version as a rear tyre choice so these 2" ones should be an ideal compromise.

Actually, I bought the 2.2" versions on the strength of a Singletrack review in issue 29. Here's what they said about them and I'm hoping the 2" will perform as well (Mods – feel free to delete if I'm not allowed to do this!)

Michelin All Mountain 2.2 tyres

We reviewed the dual compound version of these tyres in
    the infamous mega tyre test in last year’s Buyers’ Guide
    issue. We liked them a lot but their compound was so
    soft and their price tag so high that only millionaires or
    serious rubber fetishists could live with them.
    In steps this version of the All Mountain. This version isn’t sticky dual
    compound and has a thicker casing made with more threads per inch (60
    TPI). This means that it doesn’t quite offer the insane level of traction and
    it is a tad heavier (700g) but the price tag is much lower. I actually prefer
    the thicker casing of this cheaper version as it offers a bit more protection
    against pinch flatting but doesn’t feel unduly stiff either.
    Out on the dirt I found these tyres to be very comfortable and pretty
    ‘invisible’ really; they behaved very well on almost all surfaces. They
    dragged a bit on steep tarmac climbs (but steep tarmac climbs are rubbish
    anyway) and absolute filthy mud had them surfing about on top a bit (due
    to their big volume more than anything). They excelled on off-camber
    sections, even damp grass, with the side knobs resisting deformation and
    working very well – despite the round shouldered profile. The round
    shoulders also helped the tyres behave well while cornering on hardpack.
    The 2.2in sizing comes up surprisingly big (I’d say they more like a
    ‘proper’ 2.3) so you may need to be careful on frames without a lot of
    mud clearance.
    Overall: Finally, a budget priced fat tyre that genuinely works on almost
    all types of surface.
    Ben

HTH

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

the BikeRader review isn't very positive:
    linky

timothecimmerian

Hmmm…they specifically didn't like the tread pattern which is the same as the 2.2"s and those got a ST recommended award. That's tyres for you!!

I got on well with the 2.2"s – they felt better for the mix of riding I do than Cinders and Fire XC Pro's and offered better puncture protection than 2.1" Nevegals.

If the 2" AT's are close in performance, then they'll be well worth the £20 a pair outlay.

ajf
    Free Member

Liking the singletrack review. Sounds a complete contrast to last tyres, durable, grips well in damp and off camber and slightly big (which I want if ordering a 2.0)

Order done, we will see. Hoping cheap and cheerful and if any good may get a few more. At the rate I seem to be trashing tyres it may be the only way.

renton
    Free Member

ive got them!!

really grippy but they dont half drag!!.
    make th bike rumble aswell they are that knobbly.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've been using these for the past year, and they are exactly what Michelin call them – All terrain.

IMO they work pretty well in all conditions, the downside being that they are the master of none. Its easy to find a tyre for specific conditions that can best them.

They're quite an open tread design, which means they can squirm on slippery rocks and roots, but they generally hook up again. This can be quite disconcerting, especially on the front, because although they are actually quite surefooted, they don't feel like it until you get used to the movement. Its not a point and shoot type of tyre, but does reward finesse. They clear well but squirm on deeper mud.

When used as a front tyre I feel they could do with more shoulder bite, but that's as much to do with my weight and riding style as it is the tyre.

The carcass is quite light, especially for their size, so they're good for ghetto tubeless, but could be quite puncture prone when used with tubes.

takisawa2

I have the 2.2 grey ones. Very underrated, but not as good as Nev / Blue groove combo.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I did comment on these somewhere else, but basically a great tyre … although some find certain tyres different to others?

I got a pair to take on a trip abroad as they were cheap and folding and could easily go in my luggage, we were hiring bikes so weren't sure what the hire bike tyres would be like, er cr@p, so I changed them, this was for a trip to Morocco and I was pleasantly surprised, we had sand, rocks, mud, gravel, river crossings and tarmac on that trip, no problems, gripped really well in loose rocky climbs managed to get up a few climbs where others were failing and found them fast on the tarmac sections – just like the name suggests All Terrain! Just about encountered every trail type/condition on that trip (apart from snow, er, and not much grass) I ordered some more when I got back, bloomin bargain!

Although, you'll get someone next saying they found them to be rubbish 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I agree takisawa2 – thats my favourite cmbo for dry/intermediate conditions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got the Michelin on-one £10 tyres?’ is closed to new replies.