Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone got a new shape Mondeo? What is it like to live with?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Looking at 1.8l diesel. 3 years old and 40k on the clock.

All I want is a commuter/freighter that can get me to work 5 days a week, take 2 adults and 2 bikes at the weekend and get all 4 of us on holiday twice a year with all our crap.

Comfort, economy and reliability are what matters.

And before anyone says “get a Skoda” I’m not Skoda shaped and every time I’ve been in one I’ve had back ache.

weeksy

The 1.8 is cheaper and less economical than the 2.0.

The car itself is HUGE and great 🙂

It’s quiet… frugal and comfy. Over the last 7,000miles i’ve seen 49.1mpg average.

Mate of mine bought one on Weds after riding in mine a few times.

Crusie, Air con, Bluetooth etc as standard…

Can’t fault it.

mtbfix

Of course, a 3 year old Mondeo is technically now an old shape.

daveh
    Free Member

Worth seeking out a 2.0 by all accounts, though the newer 1.6 can’t be far off 3 year old now. Can’t fault mine, I’ll keep it until it falls apart (hopefully many years).

DezB
    Free Member

I have a petrol (07) model, so the economy doesn’t count (it’s TERRIBLE!), but everything else is great, comfort, drive, SIZE! reliability.
    Need something cheaper on fuel, but can’t bring myself to get rid.

(Had a Skoda on holiday and the Skoda felt rather cheap & nasty in comparison)

Cougar

I had a 2L diesel for four years. Can’t fault it, brilliant motor and a proper motorway-muncher.

Buy my roof bars.

weeksy

roof bars ? mail me 🙂

theotherjonv

Interesting thread!

I’m in the market for one currently – leaving job (and co. car) means i need to buy one for myself for the first time in 12 years.

I currently have a Passat estate but there are more hatchback Mondeo’s about hence more choice / more negotiation room. What are the hatches like for bike transport? I know the Mondeo estate is bigger than the Passat which has always actually been a bit of a disappointment for boot space tbh.

And any experience with DPF’s on the 2ltr TDi version? A mate who knows ‘a bit’ about cars – but I’m not honestly sure how much – has suggested that DPF’s tend to fail by age rather than mileage and is suggesting a lower age / higher mileage version vs an older / lower mileage one.

Sorry for the (slight) hijack.

weeksy

HAtchback is HUGE mate.

Front wheels out and it’s a 3 bike car.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

My parents had the 1.8 tdi and after owning a short while it ran like a bag of spanners. It was in and out of Ford so many times in the year that they owned it.

Ford could never get to the bottom of the problem. There was a flat spot in 1st gear between 1500-2500rpm and it sounded rather rattely between these revs. Swapped the cluch, DMF and many other bits under warranty but still couldn’t solve the problem.

I believe the 2ltr tdi is the one to go for, much more reliable and gives the same economy.

They are HUGE aswell.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

its massive, great for motorway driving but the economy on the 2 litre 163bhp is poor – 41 mpg average

mine is a 60 plate with 40k on the engine and it still feels new

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 2.0 diesel. It’s a good solid car, nice to drive, cheap to run and the boot is cavernous.

I’d happily have another one.

MrOvershoot

chunkypaul – Member
    its massive, great for motorway driving but the economy on the 2 litre 163bhp is poor – 41 mpg average

mine is a 60 plate with 40k on the engine and it still feels new

Bloody hell that’s low!!
    Considering you drive like a pensioner (a grumpy one at that) 😉

AjsMonkey

Had an ’09 2.2 TDi Titanium X hatchback from new and very happy all things considered:

1) Motorway – ok mpg considering its size and weight (modern engines are much more economical) Very pleasant/comfy to do long trips
    2) Around town – rubbish mpg
    3) Eats front tyres – given up worrying about it as no matter how i drive they disappear
    4) For bikes, kids etc it’s worth every penny and therefore I’m not planning on replacing it anytime soon
    5) It’s much bigger than you think – 3 bikes on towbar rack and I’m looking for coach spaces at the services.

theotherjonv

ajsmonkey

how many miles have you done? And any issues thus far with the DPF? That sort of age (and maybe my guess of your mileage) might be right in my area.

Nick

Had one from 08 for four years as a company car, 2.0 TDI estate.

Great car, but I can’t remember what the inside was like, it was that boring.

Took us, roof box and bikes to the Alps last summer, even loaded up like that I got over 40mpg.

Now have a Passat estate, nicer car but not quite as big, to be honest I found the size of the Mondeo a bit of a drag, especially in town.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks all.

Sadly the quote for the latest repair on The Mighty Vectra came in below the Beyond Economical Repair threshold. It look like I’m running it until the tyres wear out, then I’m going to have a look at A Mighty Mondingo.

bearnecessities

’62’ plate review.

Very comfortable place to be.
    Ridiculously bizarre DAB
    Brilliant voice recognition, you only need to say something once.
    1.6 diesel is pants, with pants economy.
    Boot good
    Feels larger than it is.
    Better than an Insignia
    Worse than the i4O (which I love)
    Very ‘dark’ inside.
    Schizophrenic PDC
    Power steering not great
    Doesn’t feel remotely ‘planted’ on motorway at *ahem* overtaking speeds.
    Nice looking.
    ..but not too shabby, but please try a s/h 1.7 diesel i40!

Jezza Clarkson (I’m not)

RustySpanner

Harry_the_Spider – Member

Thanks all.

Sadly the quote for the latest repair on The Mighty Vectra came in below the Beyond Economical Repair threshold. It look like I’m running it until the tyres wear out, then I’m going to have a look at A Mighty Mondingo.

Omega Estate?
    Still some very nice now milage ones left for not much cash.
    The four cyliner diesel is the one to go for – they last for ever.

Cougar

Ridiculously bizarre DAB

How so?

Brilliant voice recognition, you only need to say something once.

The thing that blew my mind was the way it recognises phone numbers.

Worse than the i4O

Debatable. I’ve just moved from a Mondeo to an i40, and IMHO the Mondeo is the better car. The only thing that made me get the i40 over another Mondy is not wanting the same car for eight years.

Doesn’t feel remotely ‘planted’ on motorway at *ahem* overtaking speeds

I’ll have to disagree on that too. Mine was as sure-footed and predictable as they come, even when driving ‘enthusiastically’.

Harry_the_Spider

Omega Estate?
    Still some very nice now milage ones left for not much cash.
    The four cyliner diesel is the one to go for – they last for ever.

I’ll stick with TMV. It doesn’t owe me anything and is sat on the best part of £400 worth of tyres.

Next bill that tops £500 will kill it.

bearnecessities

Cougar, it may be me, but if I don’t scan left or right, I end up looking through “blocks” 12D,12A etc – I’m sure if I was 7, I’d know what this meant, but I don’t and I seem to end up getting different stations!?

Voice recognition, yes, it is amazing isn’t it? I’ve shouted some randon name and surname out of my phone directory on about 10 occasions, and never fails to understand. Very impressive!

i40 – yes, debatable. If I was to spent my money……ooooh, I don’t know, I just love that 1.7 engine on i40 and the toys, and that mahoosive glass roof (Oh, sorry, sore subject!). It’s just more ‘fun’.

Last point, totally disagree. We may have different tyre size options to blame?

blaggers
    Free Member

How big is the hatchback boot with the seats up?? Can it take three bikes with wheels off? I’m picking mine up next week, and wonder if I need to get roof bars.

weeksy

Not tried, but I think it probably would, with the cover off

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a new shape Mondeo? What is it like to live with?’ is closed to new replies.