Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Anyone got a giro montaro helmet??
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any good? suffer with sweat on’t forehead, which then runs into glasses and forever cleaning them from my salty’ness

have read reviews saying the pad works well and absorbs alot, but any real life users on here used one?

also fit wise, me bonce measure 55 cm which puts me on the cusp of small and medium (51-55 small, 55-59 medium)…managed to try a large on and it was huge

jam-bo

yes. had it a month or so and impressed so far.

the large looks quite reasonable on my planet sized head..

blairc70
    Free Member

Yes, mines been great so far, much cooler than troy lee a1 ( not quite as comfy ). Fit wise its a bit narrower. Had mine about 3 months. Not sure if its the lining soaking up the sweat or the better venting. Either way seems to work.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, sounds promising, dont suppose either have gone from a poc trabec to one have you?

good to know it breathes well (which is why im after swapping)

jam-bo

hex. i dont think its any cooler than the hex but does a better job of controlling sweat.

stevied
    Free Member

If you struggle with a sweaty brow, have a look at the Met stuff. I’ve currently got a Kaos and will (probably) be getting a Lupo.
    The gel pad in them works brilliantly at keeping the sweat out of my eyes.

jimdubleyou

Just got mine, 5 hours on Saturday and it was controlling my sweaty brow quite well.

The pads have separated a bit already though…

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I went from a Hex to Montaro, I find the Montaro fits really well, a little more ventilation and slightly comfier, but that is just me. Both are really good helmets.

I have a silly shaped head too, and found the Giro’s to fit slightly better than a trabec I tried on.

ChrisL

It’s got a brow vent a bit like what Specialized helmets have. This may also help. It isn’t a particularly light helmet (though my last one was a more XC Specialized helmet) but it is pretty comfortable.

SirHC

Have both a Hex and a Montaro (both in large), the fit is very similar. The montaro feels more secure and does do a much better job of keeping sweat out of your eyes, also work well with goggles.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

had one a few months now. Fit is great and well vented. Now on my second brow pad though, as first one fell apart after 2 weeks!

jimdubleyou

had one a few months now. Fit is great and well vented. Now on my second brow pad though, as first one fell apart after 2 weeks!

Did you get it on warranty or just buy one?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well went and bought one last night, lovely finish on the helmet

just a quick one, how on earth do you clip the go pro mount in?

I read its shite anyways, but I cant even get mine to clip in?

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I have one quality of fit is 1st class
    biggest problem is the front head sweat pad fell apart after 3 rides,not what you want after shelling out £120.00
    contacted zyro who wanted images fair enough.replaced with a black (not yellow) and that been better but now that’s falling apart

I don’t machine wash them but what I have found is because its so good at absorbing sweat it needs removing from the helmet after every ride & drying out in my laundry room.
    its held up fine since I started that

replacements are a tenner

Big-Bud
    Free Member

the go pro mount is a fumy one in the helmet there is a little blob left in from the factory simply carefully pull that out & the fit is better .its a case of pressing the knob to click and after a few times the engagement is more positive

Big-Bud
    Free Member

the performance of the mount ive found to be be awesome to juddering like that reviewer posted ..yes I read them all

Big-Bud
    Free Member

the performance of the mount ive found to be be awesome to juddering like that reviewer posted ..yes I read them all

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers big bud

ref the pads, ive heard about this and a mate has had his go after 9 months so not too bad but will do as youve done and take them off every time if need be

ref the go pro mount – the front bit goes in fine (pointing forward bit), but at the back where the click bit is there is no groove for it to clip in if you get what i mean, so it doesnt click or anything just goes in and falls straight out, are you suggesting a piece of the foam or some something is blocking a hole on this bit?

cheers for info

jsync

OW, I have one and had the same issue with the mount. I sent the first one back but the replacement was the same so I cleared the rear hole a little with the a craft knife. It now goes in with a shove but is a bigger to get out!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Jsync cheers bud craft knife did the trick! It clicks in firmly now so can’t see go pro moving it feels pretty solid!

Helmet is ace! Humid night sweated a lot and no drips on my oakleys at all! In fact not one drop of sweat got down past the pad! Mightly impressive!

Took the pad out when I got back and it’s basically absorbed it all like a sponge so I dripped it out and shit loads came out of the pad, so it defo works and stores it all!

Only problem is as above its showing signs after one ride that the pad is starting to come away where it’s glued! Assuming that’s the problem all other folk have had? Is there a better repalcement come out that’s stitched rather than glued? Can see how easily it would come apart with the amount of sweat and salt it holds disintegrating the glue!

Ace helmet though and mega mega comfy! Noooooo sweat! Whoop!

downhilldave

Got one myself on the back of this thread. First time no sweaty drips on my riding glasses. Superb. High on Bikes have spare pads if you want some OW. Got a spare set myself just in case. Thanks guys 😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I used mine ‘properly’ yesterday in the warmth, a decent length ride with plenty of sweating

and guess what….

I didn’t have to remove my oakleys once, in over 4 hours riding not one drop of sweat got past the chammy pad, its absolutely amazing!

even if I had to buy spare pads every other month it would still be worth it to me

super comfy too, and it just breathes amazingly well, cant praise it enough

glad you liked it DHD shows that sometimes not everything you buy is just hype 🙂

eggbanjo
    Free Member

I have one no problems with sweat.
    But be aware it is a narrow fit.

J273
    Free Member

@Oscillate Wildly

Did you sell your Trabec mips sell or is it still for sale?

Ta

andywoodall
    Free Member

I have a Montaro, its a cracking helmet, certainly the best I’ve owned.

However my pads went really quickly (and I don’t sweat that much!) and they now function only to release moisture out of the rips in the seams at a steady rate right over my eyes.

To be fair, once Zyro got the message then its being dealt with pretty quickly and they are sending out some replacements FOC (as they bloody should be after two months use).

So long as this next set don’t go as quickly I’ll be happy still.

iainc

rode with my Montaro for the first time last night – great fit,well vented, however the front pad is falling apart after 2 hrs use 🙁

Have just contacted Wiggle about it…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine has just gone back to wiggle for the same reason. Halfway through my first ride with it, brow pad delaminated and wrinkled up and rubbed my forehead raw for the rest of the ride.

After previous painful experience with getting stuff “repaired” through wiggle (they only seem able to process replacement or refund, not “can you send me the small bit of this that’s broken please”) if sent mine back for a refund and e ordered. Does mean I’ve ended up with Hobson’s choice on the colour though.

If this pad goes the same way, I shall give up with them and find a different lid.

By the way, what colour? Mine was the titanium grey with orange pads that went screwy. Maybe it only happens to one colour.

iainc

Mine is orange with the grey pads….

Have asked Wiggle if I can just send back the pads rather than the whole lid as didn’t keep packaging once I knew it fitted. Only place that seems to stock Medium pads at present is ROSE bikes. I have actually taken a punt on pads from them in the interim, but unfortunately I suspect those ones may go same way, in which case it will be a refund of whole lid and buy something else.

Pretty crap design for a big player like Giro.

jam-bo

my blue/green with green/yellow pads has been fine for months.

iainc

jam bo – that’s encouraging, hopefully they have changed the glue or something. Hoping Wiggle send me new pads…..

iainc

well, they published my review, including the negatives about the pads…..

the one about great helmet, apart form the pads

although it’s not showing on that link, but it is on the one they mailed me….

iainc

Update – Wiggle want the full helmet back to pass to their supplier for’inspection’. It’s less than a week old FFS 👿

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

given i started the thread ill update

basically the pads started to come away at the edges more or less from the off, but a mate told me ring it out straight after a ride and once home lay it flat to dry out, ive done this religiously since

basically its got no worse some months on, its not fallen apart but can clearly see where its coming apart etc, ive no issues with this as ive still not had one drop of sweat on my eyes throughout the last heat wave etc we had, still mightly impressed with it and wont be swapping

if i have to buy a new pad every 6 months or so then so be it, its worth it and the helmet is so comfy

its a shame, but it does a fantastic job at absorbing the sweat, ring it out after a ride and youll see what i mean

so, basically its no worse now really than it was after a few rides old (some months ago now)

iainc

useful update OW. I am annoyed that Wiggle have asked for the helmet back when its just the pads that are a problem. I sent them pictures, I sent them this thread, I sent them the MBR review which said the same, but it’s like dealing with a machine, with a set of standard answers 👿

I have asked them to call me…

It’s packed and ready to go CollectPlus tonight, but I have said that I’d prefer a refund than wait while they send it wherever for inspection. Annoyingly, I ordered new pads from Rosebikes as spares, which will be here Monday, but I wont have the helmet !

iainc

OK, Wiggle are refunding me for the lid, so my quest begins for something else.

If anyone wants some brand new pads, the ones I got from Rosebikes are available ! No one in UK has them in Medium…. The pads retail at £10 a set

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did say that wiggle can only replace or rufund. Repairs/spares aren’t in their business model.

Annoying, as my preferred colour choice is no longer available in my size.

iainc

^^^^ yeah, a pity as it is a good lid, though flawed by the crappy pad glue.

The Wiggle discounted deal was great too….

I was between the Montaro and a Giant Rail, having tried quite a few others, so will look at the latter at LBS.

Shame as I have a Giro shaped head…

cnud
    Free Member

Ianc just emailed you about your spares

iainc

hi,nothing received, will mail you

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just killed another one!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a giro montaro helmet??’ is closed to new replies.