Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone from Tintwistle/Hadfield – Route advice
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

as above, i have a couple of hours freedom on Sunday morning and was thinking of riding over. Coming from Hartshead Pike through Mossley down to Walkerwood Res up the 4reservoirs then down to Bottoms Reservoir and was after looking at the OS map last night thinking of going along the A628 to Hollingworth Nature Reserve and through it back to Higher Swineshaw Reservoir before retracing my way back towards Hartshead.

Now for the local knowledge, on the OS OL1 1:25000 it shows the Pennine Bridleway going through the Nature Reserve, its labelled as such and has the green diamonds aswell as the orange dots stating it as a traffic free cycle route, but on looking about the net for more info about the area and looking on Open Street Map – not perfect i know – it shows it as Pennine Bridleway Walkers Route, so has its status changed or does it mean something different and bikes are still allowed, my OS map is only about 12 months old, but possibly out dated now, any idea? Or indeed any alternatives?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Isn't a 'bridleway walkers route' an oxymoron.

If it's a bridleway, you can ride it. End of.

mt
    Free Member

You can ride over into Tintwistle, you could then do a full circuit of Longdendale completely traffic free.

RDL-82
    Free Member

poisonspider – thats exactly what i thought, just wondering if i've misread the map, and therefore if anyone has rode it and could comment, will have map with me so if i should get stopped will just show it.

MT – so would that be heading over towards Langsett and coming back which way? At work so not got map to hand

Cheers

mt
    Free Member

Not got map here also but rode the area for years (and years). There are various tracks as well as the old railway/cycle way up to the Woodhead tunnel. On the north side of the valley ride east out of Tinsle and you will find a track/bridal way that crosses the A628 twice on the way to Crowden. At the side of the former Crowden YHA there is a track through trees that becomes a little indistict but leads to old chapel above A628, pass this chapel and carry using double track then single track (do not go down to road). Cross Holme Moss road go down to res and follow track to A628 but keep off. Go up track pass barn at gate, this is the Snow Road and can take you all the way to Langsett off road (with a cheeky bit). Climb snow road, sign post almost at top points back to Woodhead and Cycle way back to Hadfield/Tintwisle. If you do this route correctly the only bit main road is the A628 out of Tintwistle.

Hope that helps.

RDL-82
    Free Member

cheers 'MT' will look over the map at home later, time allowing may push on and try that, got to be back by 11am, gives me 3-4hrs but dont want to get to carried away.

RDL-82
    Free Member

cheeky little bump, just in case anyone else is about tgat might be able to shed some light on the PBW Walkers route and whether it can be rode on 😀

RDL-82
    Free Member

well if in doubt, go and find out. Trails has signs all over the place stating 'Pennine Bridleway Interim Walkers Route'. Went and had a look anyway and it was not worth it tbh, mainly farm land with access rights, however about halfway you hit a gate with some double track after,which feeds in from elsewhere and had signs of plenty of bike use, so will come that way next time.

Still makes me wonder though, whats the point of a Pennine Bridleway route just for walkers, whats wrong with the Pennine Way the greedy sods.

Was a good ride still, which is the main thing 🙂

amodicumofgnar

Still makes me wonder though, whats the point of a Pennine Bridleway route just for walkers, whats wrong with the Pennine Way the greedy sods.

The main reason is the infamous Glossop black hole, apparently they've now got a horse / bike route sorted after extremely protracted negotiations. Dont know exactly where but as there's a new road crossing and bridleway section SK 024 910 (Plainsteads on the Monks Road) I presume the bridleway will follow the footpath over Sitch, couple of 100m north.

RDL-82
    Free Member

fair enough, pitty the os map contradicts the case on the ground.

Anywhere i can keep my eye on for the new bridleway status/updates etc, not from the area but its a nice ride from where i live and would be keen to see how it goes.

Cheers Rob

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone from Tintwistle/Hadfield – Route advice’ is closed to new replies.