• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ART.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone flown with Easy Jet wth a bike recently?
  • solamanda
    Free Member

I understand that they have changed their policy with bikes such that if you book a sports equipment item your total allowed luggage weight for your bicycle and your hold luggage is 32kg.

Previously it was 32kg for the bicycle and 20kg for the hold luggage giving 52kg combined.

Can anyone confirm this from experience in the airport? Thanks

dazzlingboy

32kg for bike, 20 kg for bag flying to Geneva in July.

ART

32kg for bike, 20 kg for bag flying to Geneva in July.

Are you sure? http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment this suggests what solamanda said. Interested for the definitive version too as I’ll be flying at the end of the month.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

The old note that bike bags don’t count as excess luggage is still on the website. I flew out with 30kg of bike and about 10kg of luggage, Edinburgh to Geneva and back, zero eyelids batted.

http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view%28%29=c{0e143af0-cedc-11e2-ef6e-000000000000}

Blurboy
    Free Member

Just booked to Alicante and phoned them to clarify. Paid for a check in and also a bike. Bike in box max 32kgs, check in is 20kgs max but the over rider is a total of 50kgs between the two. Hand luggage rules have changed. Still no weight limit but the size guaranteed to travel in the cabin with you has reduced if the flight is busy.

ART

Linky no work 🙁

It’s confusing though isn’t it, cause here it says bicycles exempt from excess charges http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view()=c%5Bcase-4040%5D

but here it reiterates the 32kg ‘all in’ thing http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view()=c{0fa4ed10-cedc-11e2-ef6e-000000000000}

[sigh]

Blurboy
    Free Member

Must admit I was confused hence the phone call to Easy Jet. I do wish I had recorded the conversation. This was with a lady called Neha at 18:30 on the 8th August this year. Might be aninvestment to make a similar phone call to ratify as this does at first site seem to contradict the web information. I have travelled with the 50 kg total 3 years ago with no hassle.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

We flew to geneva no problems, 20k baggage, and 32k bike bag limits

dazzlingboy

Are you sure?

100% for the very simple reason that my BikeBoxAlan with a bike and all my riding kit weighed 35kgs on their scales. Was told the handlers will not move anything more than 32kgs – that is the limit for a single item regardless of what it is – and I had there and then to take some gear out and put it in my other bag, which then weighed 21kgs but she let me away with it. Wife had EXACTLY the same issue on the way back in GVA. They may of course have changed the regs but that was certainly the situation in both EDI and GVA 6 weeks ago.

ART

Thanks Blurboy … might just do that.

Edit .. cheers all, feeling reassured now. Had visions of some seriously minimal packing 😯

Olly
    Free Member

And i thought my 26kg bike box was heavy! might chuck in some extra tyres before setting off tomorrow!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Flew in May. Bike details are actually hidden I. FAQs.

Bottom line, up to 32kg for the bike.
    Up to 20kg for hold luggage.
    No more than 50kg combined.

Northwind

Sorry, something in my link’s causing a formatting issue on the forum, copy’n’paste this- then print it out just in case as it’s teh solution to all your sub-32kg ills.

http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view%28%29=c{0e143af0-cedc-11e2-ef6e-000000000000}

monkeyharris
    Free Member

How up tight are they about what goes in the bike box/bag? I have everything from bike only to fill it full of clothes and kit.

dazzlingboy

We had ours rammed with all kinds of kit. They didn’t care as long as we got it under 32kg.

toys19
    Free Member

yup did luton to geneva, geneva to bristol with easyjet and my dh bike in july. was all good.

Ewan
    Free Member

I flew with them with a 28kg bike bag and 15kg suitcase without a problem.

However the t&cs were updated earlier this year, and we’d booked earlier than that so the original ones applied (i.e. 20 + 32).

It will be interesting to see if they start enforcing their new limits next summer. They don’t really leave much doubt for interpretation.

Payment of the non-refundable Sports equipment fee entitles You to an additional weight allowance of 12kgs and increases Your checked in Hold luggage allowance to a maximum of 32kgs. A single item cannot weigh more than 32kgs in total.

1 bag, 1 sports item

Total allowance 2 items @ 32kg total
    1 item must be a genuine sports good as defined
    You may distribute weight between items as desired

tomd
    Free Member

Very interesting. I’ve flown EasyJet with a bike quite a bit, most recently last month (although booked in Jan). Definitely exceeded the 32kg, will check up in the future.

Onzadog
    Free Member

This comes up regularly. Bikes aren’t sports equipment in that sense. They have their own category.

Driller
    Free Member

Their T&Cs haven’t changed for bikes, they’re just harder to find on their website. If you pay for a hold bag and a bike bag then you have a total of 50Kg in the hold (the max for any one passenger). They have even stopped saying you can’t put other stuff in your bike bag. I flew with them recently and e-mailed to check as the website is indeed misleading. Bikes have their own policy, different to other sports equipment. Easyjet’s reply…

Thank you for contacting us.

It is certainly true that bicycles are exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle. If the hold baggage and bicycle weigh more than 32 kg, you will not have to pay any excess baggage fee as long as the hold bag weighs no more than 20 kg and the bicycle weighs no more than 30 kg. The total weight of the baggage cannot exceed 50 kg.

I hope this information helps.

Still one of the best airlines in Europe to fly with your bike, done it loads, never had a problem. Worth emailing Easyjet customer services before you go as the check-in staff don’t always know the rules and you can take the email with you.

andyv
    Free Member

I flew one way to Geneva this summer and interpreted it differently

Hand baggage only no cost

Bag in hold 20kg at a cost of £13

Bike in hold extra cost £27 and this bought an extra 12kg in weight

So for what I paid I had a total allowance of 32kg

A single bag, bike or hold, cannot weigh over 32kg however you pay for it.

I think you can buy addition bags too, maybe up to the 50kg limit.

Andy

chrispayze
    Free Member

Very useful post by Driller there. Easyjet’s rules are a bit ambiguous. I did a lot of research prior to my trip to the Alps a couple of weeks ago. Going by the letter of Easyjet’s law (I’d assumed bikes were sports equipment, beholden to one set of rules, but contradicted by the ‘bikes are exempt’ rule), you get an extra 12kg for your bike, over and above your 20kg hold luggage. However, in practice, as long as the bike bag is less than 32kg and the hold bag is less than 20kg, you’re unlikely to have problems.

The two of us both had 18-19kg bags plus 28-31kg bike bags which were all weighed at checkin (Bristol and Geneva). We had no problems. There is a risk that some check-in staff may try and charge you for anything over a total 32kg, but I’ve only heard of that very rarely. The guy I went with has travelled about 20-25 times with his bike and he’s only had an issue once.

I’d go with Driller’s advice. You should be fine up to 20/30kg (bag/bike).

Northwind

It is weird when a thread continues long after the answer has been given isn’t it?

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Flew to Geneva & back mid August this year

Bike bag weighed 31.5kg, hold bag weighed 10kg

No issues experienced at any point

goslow

My interpretation is a total of 32kg for bike in a bag and a piece of hold luggage. If I stick to that then I know I won’t have problems.

solamanda
    Free Member

Thanks for the information. I’ve printed out that web page stating bikes are outside the excess charges. Sounds like there will be no issues.

It is weird when a thread continues long after the answer has been given isn’t it?

It’s good to get a variety of experiences! Thanks for the link.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s good to get a variety of experiences! Thanks for the link.

and anecdotes, I remember using spare check in lanes in Geneva to swap things round to get the bags to 32kg & 20kg I had inner tubes stuffed into my pockets just to balance it up.

It goes as 1 Piece over here in Oz so needs to be 23Kg max. Which is an evoc bike bag and my bike only – just

kimbers

solamanda – Member
    Thanks for the information. I’ve printed out that web page stating bikes are outside the excess charges. Sounds like there will be no issues.

could we get it as a sticky 😉

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Flew to Cyprus with them 10th August no problems.

I think the diagrams (as above)shown on the website are misleading so I emailed Customer Service for clarification and they were prompt in emailing back to say ‘max bike bag weight 32kg other piece of luggage 20kg total not exceeding 50kg.

Printed off emails and took them with me just in case.

If you have put anything in the bike bag other than a bike remember not to admit it if they ask you.

ART

The thread that keeps on giving … just in case there is any doubt left, this is the email I received.

Thank you for contacting easyJet,

As per your request I am forwarding you the confirmation for your bicycle weight:

Bicycles are exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle. If the hold baggage and bicycle weigh more than 32kg, passengers will not have to pay any excess baggage fee as long as the hold bag weighs no more than 20kg and the bicycle weighs no more than 32kg. The total weight of the baggage cannot exceed 50kg.

Hope this solves your querry. spelling not the advisor’s strong point 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anyone flown with Easy Jet wth a bike recently?’ is closed to new replies.