Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Anyone done a skill day at Lee Quarry (or similar)
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

My riding is ok (I think) but I am a chicken when things get steep or rooty (hopeless if it is both)

Can a skills day cure me of my fear?

I wouldn't exactly call myself a numpty in the riding skill department BTW

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Might join you. Can you get a group discount?

glenp
    Free Member

A good session will definitely be able to help, imo.

Harry_the_Spider

I went on one at Rivington years ago to get over "The Fear".

It worked.

Ask GreatRock / Ed-O for more details.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I don't believe any skills training could be classed as a 'cure' but a good one will certainly help you develop the techniques required and build confidence so you can start to 'heal thy self' 😉

Above a certain level you're mind starts to play a vast part in riding … learning how to control it and get it working for you rather than against will make a massive difference to you're riding.

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Stuart

Seamus
    Free Member

I've been thinking about the Ed-O ones at Lee quarry. Would be interested in a group one.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

OK whose up for a group booking then? and when?

this ought to be fun….

Dave
    Free Member

Contact Ed-O he'll sort your steep/rooty phobia.

Seamus
    Free Member

The stop crashing skills days look good. Should we see if we can arrange 1 for a saturday in October?. Seems to be a min of 3 and a max of 6 people. My preference would be for lee quarry.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

OK whose up for a group booking then? and when?

I'm interested in learning how to ride rock garden type things better than I can. (Actually I can't really ride them at all!) Almost any Saturday will do me. Mail me if you want to discuss.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I could also be persuaded to go to Lee Quarry and maybe one other.

Gooner
    Free Member

i did one at Rivi a few years ago after i'd had a nasty accident and it was excellent

would like to try the lee quarry one though as the rocky terrain looks much more suited to my riding now

i'd be up for a group session as long as the group was nt to big

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Five places available. Should we gatecrash?

http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/?page_id=304

ExRoadie
    Free Member

I'd definately be up for that! 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I did a 2-1 on an Ed-O skills day not so long ago and it was excellent, really worthwhile.

One thing I would say though is to have realistic expectations of what you'll achieve at any skills day. I sort of thought I'd be doing 30m manuals and 10ft drops after the first half an hour which was obviously wishful thinking. Instead I improved my basic techniques massively and will continue to improve them as I do "my homework" whenever I get on my bike. I also rode a couple of things which I'd normally have shied away from which tbh is probably going to come back to haunt me soon…

I'm off back to Lee Quarry soon just to try and repeat the lessons on my own and judge my progress since the session.

Cheers Ed!

colb
    Free Member

Yes – I've been for a 1 to 1 day with Ed – highly recommended, I did a write up on it here:-

http://www.mudandgears.com/2009/08/skills-day-with-ed-oxley.html

stumpyjon

Seriously tempted, been thinking about this for awhile, will have to check the state of the non-existant finances.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I'm in email conversation with Ed-O

I'll post back later re a decent group etc.

Guess we need to sort ourselves out for where we need our confidence boosting.

it might be that we end up in 2 or 3 groups so ed can target specific areas of our short comings.

Berms
    Steep drops
    drop offs
    Technical DH
    going fast
    Singletrack
    gears
    bunny hopping
    and so on.

jedi

🙂

dicky
    Free Member

I'd be interested as well if there's room, depending on which date is selected.

spacehopper

ive done a one to one skills day with Ed at Lee Quarry and cant recommend him enough! (or Lee Quarry as its a great place to practice!)

really brought my riding up another notch… 🙂

and on a recent trip to Glentress i could really feel the difference in the way i was riding using the skills id learned… i felt so much more relaxed and in control.. even though was riding faster and and taking jumps/drops in my stride rather than having to stop and think about them too much..

Ed-O
    Free Member

I'd be happy to sort out a group skills day for you all up at Lee Quarry, although I don't do group discounts for skills days I'm afraid. It would be rather unfair to all the people who come along and pay the asking price.

As for dates, all I have free in October in is Sunday 4th or Sunday 11th. There are however four places free on my Stop Crashing day at Lee Quarry on Saturday 3rd October if anyone is interested. Check out my site for details http://www.great-rock.co.uk

From November I'm running skills days at Gisburn Forest starting with one on Saturday 7th. Saturdays 14th and 28th are free at the moment. As the weather gets worse Lee Quarry can be a bit exposed and the the extra tree cover of Gisburn as well as the sanctuary of The Dog and Partridge will be most welcome I think.

My email is ed@great-rock.co.uk if you want to get in touch.

Cheers
    Ed

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Thought it might be best to give indications of desires on here so that we can decide what we fancy.

To set the ball rolling I'm happy to go to Gisburn on any date in November. Anyone else like to join a private party?

Seamus
    Free Member

I would be up for either of the two Saturday dates suggested by Ed in November at Gisburn

tony_m
    Free Member

I'd definitely be up for either of the dates at Gisburn – might just give me the confidence to stay off the darn brakes and actually ride the stuff I've helped build!!!

stumpyjon

^^ me too, November's fine for me too. I need to work on my switchback corners (as well as just about everything else).

MrOvershoot

Ed-O – Member

There are however four places free on my Stop Crashing day at Lee Quarry on Saturday 3rd October if anyone is interested.

That would have been great.. only I'm broken again from eating dirt, at least it was my right side this time 😳

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for the guy with a beard you could lose yer bike in..
    Had a great day with Ed up at Lee Quarry.. The guy is really good, pateint,and clearly knows his stuff..
    Can't reccomend the guy enough.

Will definatly be up for another meet up.

Jenga
    Free Member

This has gone very quiet! Is it likely to happen, or should I just book onto one of the other courses?

Ed-O
    Free Member

OK for those who would like to go to Gisburn Forest can I suggest a STW Forum day on Saturday 14th November?

I'll put this date up on my site and people can just book direct with me rather than trying to organise it on here.

http://www.great-rock.co.uk

If anyone would prefer Lee Quarry get in touch or have a look at the Stop Crashing day on 3rd October that has 4 places still free.

Cheers.

Seamus
    Free Member

That's great Ed, I've emailed you about booking a place

Ed-O
    Free Member

You're in Seamus 🙂

stumpyjon

I'll probably book on for the 14th at Gisburn too, just got to get organised.

tony_m
    Free Member

Ed, YGM.

justme
    Free Member

jon ygm

stumpyjon

I've booked, wanna sort out berms, switchbacks, slow riding, fast riding, bunnyhops, manuals, wheels on the ground, wheels in the air.

Might be a long day 😆

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ed- cheque on its way mate, ta.

tony_m
    Free Member

And a cheque from me too!!! 🙂

Ed-O
    Free Member

I've booked, wanna sort out berms, switchbacks, slow riding, fast riding, bunnyhops, manuals, wheels on the ground, wheels in the air.

Might be a long day

Sounds like you've just outlined days 1,2 and 3 stumpyjon!

I'm sure we'll make a good start on it.

Ben_Haworth

Surely there's 24 hours in a day though right? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done a skill day at Lee Quarry (or similar)’ is closed to new replies.