Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone cycled from Reading to Bath along the Kennet canal (?) path
  • GDRS

As it says – I have some time to kill in a few weeks and thought this might get me to my brother’s house in bath but not in the car (train from London to Reading then onward….)

pointers – problems with route?

G

gusamc
    Free Member

yes, over 2 days (Reading, train to Bath, cycling back), couple of years back

you may get bored (we did – look canal, look towpath…. ) but there is usually a nearbyish station (which we took advantage of)

we went on a fishing match day and the number of twunts who blocked the path (about 9ft after the previous blockage) was truly AMAZING (with an F) and they got the hump as we wanted to use the path .. anchors, a real progress killer…………

phone up and confirn and book B&B if stopping over. ie we knocked on the door of a place with vacancies (and were turned down the minute he saw two wet and muddy people), saved by a little old lady whose husband had not long died, bikes locked in garage with all his clothes etc, and she laid a trail of newspaper to the room – lovely old girl God bless..

The Bath half is (IMHO) much nicer scenery, but look at the bridges as you go under, some nice stonework etc.

I’d maybe get the train a bit futher than Reading (Newbury/Hungeford, but as I remember it all pretty straightforward, mainly path, some field, some stiles but we did take OS50 maps with us. Might be worth taking a map as you do need to be on the correct side and somtimes the path goes down both sides (for a while if you see what I mean).

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Someone who I work with rode from Newbury to Bath on a charity ride. He is in his 50’s and is a non-cyclist and managed it fine, I can ask him for the details if you like as I think you come off of the canal at some points.

Its part of my commute also (Woolhampton – Newbury):

slugwash
    Free Member

There was an article in a recent Cycling Plus magazine about the Reading Bath canal route. I could possibly scan you a copy if that’s any help.

GDRS

Thanks everyone – slugwash that would be great if you could scan the article. Fancied doing it on my cross bike. Being a bit lazy now but with all the wiggly bits how far do you estimate it to be?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I’d guess it’d be around 80 miles…

GDRS

80 is about what I thought the long and the short of it would be – Mrs GDRS actually said 84 to me a gut feel guess. great stuff.

slugwash
    Free Member

slugwash that would be great if you could scan the article

I’ll have a root around the house and see if I can dig out the mag then should be able to scan it first thing tomorrow 🙂

drain

80 miles sounds about right. I’ve cycled Hungerford to Reading (about 4 hours dodging pedestrians, their pooches and anglers) and Bath to Bradford-on-Avon (and back), but not done the whole thing in one hit.

Mostly it’s good hardpack but can be a bit slippy in places with mud on polished cobble-type stones so I’d suggest that something with a bit more profile than semi slicks (say, Racing Ralph amount of knobbiness) would be smart unless it’s been dry for a while.

Agreed that the Bath end is very pretty. Some good pubs all the way along though 🙂

Worth checking on the BWB / Waterscape site http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/kennet-and-avon-canal/cycling whether they have work / diversions in place e.g. a while ago the Caen Hill locks section had some major works, looks like they’re still there ’til March.

Oh, and it may be worth getting a (free) permit from here http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit – just print/laminate it and carry it, we did it for the Liverpool-Leeds Canal.

GDRS

Thanks drain for the pointers.

I quite like canal rides – and this one has been in my mind for a while. I sometimes have to work in Bristol (although my bro lives in bath) and several times I have got to reading and thought this might be fun. Years ago (in the early 90’s) did the ridgeway from near reading to swindon – and toyed with it then but never got further than one of Readings many pubs……

wheeliejim
    Free Member

I broke my collar bone along there!!

slugwash
    Free Member

Scans here….

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8308384@N06/5408232781/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8308384@N06/5408843334/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8308384@N06/5408234747/sizes/l/in/photostream/

….and next time you wander into W H Smiths to buy your copy of Singletrack then also buy a copy of C+ to show your appreciation of this article 😉

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Yes 🙂 A couple of times including this year as part of an epic

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/200k-in-a-day-2-days-200-miles

As already said, some bits are a slog, NCN4 directs you off onto tarmac lanes at several points. Check the sustrans site.

Also as already said, avoid the weekend if you can.

Andy

wiltsrover
    Free Member

You dont need the canal permit anymore drain, they stopped that on the K&A about 5 years ago. Although they are working on the locks at Caen Hill the towpath is still open, although there might be a couple of minutes diversion depending on what they are doing at any particular lock. There is a towpath all the way along although as Andy says the signed NCN4 diverts off in places. It is also worthwhile looking out for the K&A’s own leaflet which gives you loads of information about the route, why Monkey Marsh Lock is so called, Crofton pumping engine, that sort of thing. The Barge Inn at Seend and Cross Guns at Avoncliffe are both cracking pubs (and local too me).

Moses

Yes, about 3 years ago in summer.
    I did Reading to Bristol (100miles) in a long day, Mrs M and I took 2 leisurely days over the same distance. There’s an awkward road bit around Pewseyish, otherwise it’s all fine.

KonaTC

Think I have a leaflet somewhere I will if I can find it this weekend

scu98rkr
    Free Member

sounds quite similar to my route last year andy I cycled the ridgeway then came back on the K&A from the newbury map at the end.

clickhere

KonaTC

GDRS,

found it so its your if you want it, just PM your address

KonaTC

cookeaa

would be intedested in how this trip pans out for you. I live very close to the Kennet in Reading. the missus is keen (at some as yet not agreed point) to follow it all the way to Bath….
    good luck.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Did Portishead to Devizes to Portishead in a day once. Sinfully boring! Bath to Bradford on avon bit is lovely, as is the many locks up into devizes. Personally I’d plot a more scenic road ride though!

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

The towpath at Caen Hill was completely closed on Tuesday, speaking to one of the workmen it was closed through to Sells Green. Be aware from at least Pewsey through to Devizes, it is just a grass towpath, which is pretty heavy going when wet.

GDRS

Thanks to all for the advice and pointers – Kona TC I will PM my address as I would like the leaflet.

Take the point on the boring sections guys – mind you I have done the south downs link to Brighton and that’s quite mind numbing – and my brother does not live there – so at least there is a goal for this one….. and a cup of tea, shower and a curry!!

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’m planning on cycling this in a few weeks, train to Reading then cycle to Bath.

there’s a SLIM chance I’ll do it in a day, but more likely I’ll do it over 2 days, probably stopping near Devizes.

To give myself the option I reckon I’ll take me bivi bag and sleeping bag, eat at a pub in the evening, then kip somewhere. Any one know the area and have a suggestion for a suitably sheltered (from people rather than weather) spot?

ART

The Bath end is scenic – section into BoA is part of my commute 🙂 Stop at the Lock Inn in BoA for a nice, cheap pile of nosh and watch the boats and ducks go by, nice.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’m planning on cycling this in a few weeks, train to Reading then cycle to Bath.

What a div, I’m actually going to Bristol, better not forget on the day 😳

brassneck

To give myself the option I reckon I’ll take me bivi bag and sleeping bag, eat at a pub in the evening, then kip somewhere. Any one know the area and have a suggestion for a suitably sheltered (from people rather than weather) spot?

Doable in a day if you went a little further on the train to Hungerford/Newbury depending on your fitness of course.

Honeystreet – Barge Inn for tea, then head northish up onto the downs to bivvy.. bit windswept on Tan Hill / Wansdyke though, not much cover.

Or a little earlier – Pewsey wharf (teashop, pubs in Pewsey and Oare) and bivvy on Martinsell Hill, one of my favourite spots on the hills edge – great view of Pewsey Vale.

To be honest, between Pewsey Wharf and Devizes there are a few pubs in villages a short hop off the route, and the canal itself is quiet enough to doss down on. There are some bridges that aren’t used by metalled roads anymore, could find a snug spot on one of them if you preferred.

brassneck

Bath > Bristol by bike is very easy, lots of people commute it, around 10 miles I think? So go for it!

Moses

I’ve done the 100 miles (almost exactly) from Reading station to Bristol in one long day, also with Mrs M in 2 days. It gets a bit messy around Pewsey,but not a problem.

I recommend the Barge at Honey Street as a pub on the canal with camping attached.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Cheers, finger’s hovering over “buy” on a new bivi bag so I can see my resolve to cycle it in a day being tested, especially with the pub recommendations!

nickjb
    Free Member

The Barge at Honeystreet has camping in the garden, dirt cheap. Pretty much anywhere around Devizes except for right in town will be fine for bivvying its all pretty quiet.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anyone cycled from Reading to Bath along the Kennet canal (?) path’ is closed to new replies.