• This topic has 125 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • ANYbody use a tablet other than ipad
  • sam69
    Free Member

hi anybody on here got a good tablet,which is has good has the ipad but half the price?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It doesn’t exist. I had a HP Touchpad (same price as an iPad) and got rid. Hated it.

CHB

No, ipad is still the one to beat.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Look for a second gen refurb on the Apple store – probably about £250 for the basic one now.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus, fast, good screen 3G, WIFI, GPS etc. I have even been using it as a mobile phone due to my BB failing over the weekend 😀

oyon
    Free Member

Kindle Fire, rooted running Android ICS. Ludicrously good for 120 quid but only sold in the US 🙁

sam69
    Free Member

when will kindle fire be in uk???

Garry_Lager

ipad is in a different street.

I find it a bit counter-intuitive, because the ipad is just a toy that does fk all really, so you’d think that any old cheap android tablet would easily compete. They don’t, though, and actually never will IMO as the ipad is the quintissential, endlessly superficial apple device.

richmars

I have an Archos 70 internet tablet, which does what I need. I’ve only played with an ipad in shops so can’t say how much better it is, but the Archos was £99 which is ok. I couldn’t justify spending £400 on a tablet.

sam69
    Free Member

richmars what you think to your archos,what model did you buy?

samuri
    Free Member

I have an Advent Vega rooted to honeycomb. Cost me about 200 quid, I don’t know if you can still get them. Rooting it wasn’t particularly easy. It’s just as fast as an ipad but not as slick. You know what? I never use it. I have access to plenty of ipads at work too but I just don’t get them. The novelty wore off really quickly for me.

superdan

I recently (last week) took delivery of a Zenithink ZT280 C91. Its a 10″ android 4 tablet. Total delivered cost around £100 from China via Alibaba.

Brilliant, great screen, stuck a 32gb sd card in, filled with vids, music and have loaded lots of games from the Humble Android Bundles and the Market/Play store.

edit to add: A “killer” feature is that it can act as a USB host, eg, can just plug in a USB stick, keyboard, bluetooth dongle and have it use them like a PC would. Sticking a USB SD card reader in and browsing pics from SLR Cameras memory card on a big(ger) screen then and there is all kinds of awesome.

sam69
    Free Member

super dan can you post link were you bought it from please?how long did you wait for it ?

richmars

sam69,
    It’s the Archos 70 Internet tablet. It surfs the internet, plays videos and music. That’s about all I use it for, so at £99 it was worth it.

Kuco

I had a play on a Kindle Fire just before christmas and was pretty impressed with it but work has decided that we are having ipads.

mav12
    Free Member

Galaxy tab 7 here really pleased with it use it a lot when away weekends fishing 3g is great for interweb t mob sim £20 for 6 months surfing plays movies fine and mem map app is great

dawson

I think Stoner got a cheap one, but my search skills are lacking.. don’t know how it compared to an ipad though.

I’m watching with interest for cheaper models, as £400 is way too much

saw this story today, which looks interesting, but its not due out for a while http://www.reghardware.com/2012/06/06/acer_reveals_super_budget_quad_core_tablet/

superdan

sam69:
    From one of these:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=Zenithink+ZT280+C91+&catId=0&manual=y

Pro once bitten tip: Filter the sellers by “Assurance Plus” and spend a while working out the total price (Item + Postage to the UK), it varies considerably.

It took me about 12 days from pressing order to holding the thing in my sweaty hands.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have a Blackberry playbook. The screen is mint and the UI pees all over the iPad IMHO (I am an iPhone user). I think it’s a great bit of kit.

lucien

Another vote for the PlayBook, think it’s awesome. Price wise, if nothing else!!

Nick

I have a HP Touchpad, got it for £69 and for that price it’s pretty damn good, but at £399 I’m not sure why anyone would buy one, shame really as it’s a good device. I use it on and off for browsing the internet or carrying around with me instead of the laptop.

All of the non-iPad tablets rely on trying to be better technologically than the iPad, but the thing is, they ain’t iPads and for the majority of people the iPad is cool, it’s slick and it’s made by a company that they feel represents their aspirations and lifestyle, whose aspirations does HP, Acer or Archos respresent? No ones.

willard

Bought an AllwinerA10 based cheap android tablet before I went out to AFG. For 80 quid, it came with just about everything I needed apart from Bluetooth and GPS. Still, it plays films well, plays music, has a good ebook reader and lasts about 6 hours on battery. The 7″ form factor also means it fits into a side pocket when the only hand luggage you are allowed is body armour and a helmet.

Minor downsides are that charging takes a while over USB with the screen on, and the screen is not as good at key presses as my wife’s iPad. It’s also prone to getting scratched, but a scree protector fixes that.

footflaps

As an iPad owner (and Apple convert), I can’t say I use the iPad much at all – very much just a toy. I use my MBP for most things and leave the iPad by the bed for checking email late at night, or reading the news occasionally.

Milkie
    Free Member

I use a Kindle Fire, running custom Android ICS. Damn good for the price!

I would look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

When will Kindle Fire be in UK

A while yet, the reason it’s not here yet is Amazon is a US company, and their servers are under US law, which totally contradicts Euro Data Protection Acts. Once they get that sorted it will be launched, but I here they are working on the KF 2 already.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a HP Touchpad, got it for £69 and for that price it’s pretty damn good, but at £399 I’m not sure why anyone would buy one, shame really as it’s a good device. I use it on and off for browsing the internet or carrying around with me instead of the laptop.

Yeah I got mine in the firesale too. I would have been hugely disappointed had I paid full price for it, or even £200.

But what it DID do was make me realise I would find a tablet useful so I sold it on Ebay for almost double what I paid for it and treated myself to the iPad 3rd gen. It is massively head and shoulders over it in every way – the OS, the apps, the delicacy of the screen (touchability, responsiveness etc) and the build quality (the build quality of the iPad is HUGELY better than the HP).

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a Galaxy Tab 10.1, I’m perfectly happy with it and glad I didn’t go for the ipad hype, it was the same price as the equivelent ipad though.

footflaps

Does the BB tablet thing have email on it stand alone yet, originally it only worked via a BB phone IIRC?

ericemel
    Free Member

I have tried a play book and Android – I now have a ipad

For £259 hard to beat really
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC979B/A

monkeyp

Motorola Xoom – excellent – I genuinely don’t know what I would do without it now. Starting up the laptop is sooo slow.

Great screen, nice form factor – it just works

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I didn’t go for the ipad hype

Not sure what he ‘hype’ is though, other than being the best tablet device out there with the largest selection of apps. And you paid the same price as one for one that isn’t one.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Does the BB tablet thing have email on it stand alone yet, originally it only worked via a BB phone IIRC?

It sure does. The OS2 update banged it on there. I get my GMail through it.

Northwind

I got one of those daft Dell Duo things that’s half-netbook, half-tablet. And it’s fantastic! Has a proper hard-drive rather than token 16gb capacity, a proper keyboard and mousepad when you need it… OK, it’s heavy and the screen is undersized compared to a dedicated tablet, and windows touchscreen isn’t a patch on Apple but still- it makes an ipad look like a shiny toy. Shame they killed it as it’s still a bit flawed and never got to a v2.

magowen100
    Free Member

I’ve got an onda vi40 from Gadgetfreakz. So far so good it runs ICS which is a bit slow but plays films etc perfectly well. Google play is on there too so my 5 yr old son uses it when we’re in the car to play games and watch films. Battery life is about 3 hours when watching a film. It was £180 when I bought it but has gone up a bit now.
    Compared to a 2nd gen Ipad it’s not quite as slick but does almost everything just as well if not better as it has a mini-usb port and sd card slot. Go for the Ipad if you don’t link to tinker and understand whats happening behind the glossy screen go for an android based tablet if you are a bit more technical.If you can wait there is a second gen Ainol Aurora due out any day (thats the one Stoner got) and it looks pretty good.

ads678

Paid £280 for a Motorola XOOM, it’s great. Does everything I want it for, t’interweb, movies, music. Great screen and android system seems to work really well. Even got a speaker docking station for £35 the other day. How d’you like them apple(s)! (See what I did there).

sobriety
    Free Member

I got a chinese andriod thingy for £30 in a sainsbury’s fire sale a while back, had to root/flash it to make it useful. It’s rubbish, but for what it cost it does the job.

Trouble is, I really ‘need’ an ipad now.

smogmonster

Ive got a BB Playbook…its really rather good, especially for £169. I know BB are dying slowly, and there arent many apps, but i dont give a monkeys..i only use it for video playing whilst travelling and occasional web browsing. Im something of an Apple hater, but admit the IPad looks good…its just simply overpriced. £450? No chance.

timraven

Asus transformer here. Good, I like that it came with a plug in keyboard, but, and I think for me a tablet of any sort is not as useful as I expected it to be.

Great if you commute on trains and that sort of thing.

mogrim

I’ve got a Galaxy Tab 7, great for reading Twitter and the news while having breakfast, and movies+games entertain the kids during longs journeys in the car. Build quality seems pretty reasonable, and battery life is good. The only downside is it’s limited to Android 2.2, has a load of (space+memory hogging) preinstalled Samsung apps that you can’t uninstall, and there are no plans to update it to ICS. At some point I’ll probably root it and do it myself.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have had an Archos 80 G9 Turbo for 6 months, I don’t have any complaints for the money (£200), its maybe not as slick as an Ipad, but it does everything I need.

frogstomp

I bought one of the cheap HP Touchpads. I actually quite liked the WebOS interface, but now run it dual-booted with the Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) alpha which is progressing nicely.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘ANYbody use a tablet other than ipad’ is closed to new replies.