Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody rebuilt a Shimano pedal?
  • Mugboo

My pedal fell off it’s axle on Wed night. It’s an M647 and looks like it’s got years of use left if I can rebuild it.

Can I get the parts cheap anywhere? Anybody done it?

Cheers Jason

coatesy
    Free Member

You can find the part numbers you require at shimanotechdocs, remove the first and last digit of the number, and you can then check their availability with Madison(Shimano’s UK distributor), and order through your LBS.

cynic-al
    Free Member

NOt sure if it would be cost effective to buy the spares,you’ll have lost at least a cone, locknut and bearings. Latter may be cheaper in a bearing shop? And…it’s tough to reassemble without the proper tool IME – though I don’t know that design specifically.

Mugboo

Cheers chaps,I’ll have a closer look and ask my mate who runs a shop how much he can get the parts for?

Northwind

I costed up rebuilding a set of M540s last year, and the price was more than a set of new pedals 😛

Mugboo

Or maybe not 🙁

spock
    Free Member

shimano m520, £20, done

neilnevill
    Free Member

as spock says.

IME shimano pedals go on, and on,and on (especially if you open them up and pop a blob of fresh grease in once a year or so) but eventually the bearing breaks….at whcih point just buy new. I seem to average over 20k from 520 and 540s

Mugboo

Can I buy those and use the internals fir my 647’s?

I buy cheap 520 rear hubs to service my 525 wheels..

coatesy
    Free Member

Again, check shimanotechdocs, this will allow you to cross reference part no.s ,and check for definite if they’ll swap(though you may still get away with it if they don’t match).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody rebuilt a Shimano pedal?’ is closed to new replies.